Why the Indiana game will inform the rest of the season.

huskerfan74

I watched the Indiana game today and while they are a decent team, they are not that great. We get them at home after two weeks of preparation. If coach Mickey cannot get this team ready to beat Indiana at home after two weeks of preparation then that tells me we end the season 1-11 or 2-10 at best. Minnesota is a contender and Wisconsin will beat us even though they got smacked by Ohio state. Michigan will be a massacre and for those who think we can beat Iowa, I say dream on. Nevertheless, if somehow the team beats Indiana this Saturday, I might see us winning 4 games. Regardless, I do not believe Mickey is seriously being considered for the HC job but if he does not win this Saturday, that kills whatever 0.01% he had.

2 minutes ago, runningblind said:

There is absolutely nothing to inform. This team is absolutely awful, and we will be getting an entirely new staff because of it. Mickey might be a great HC but it won't matter when he gets such little time with this massive dumpster fire.

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this quote.  I personally think that most of the team has thrown in the towel in this season.  I don't know how we will ever make an honest judgment on how good of a coach Mickey is or could have been.  I guess with having said that , if Mick can get this team to win 3 or 4 games this season that might speak even louder for him.

Indiana is not good.  Purdon't is not that good.  Iowa has a good defense, but still limited on O.  Rutgers I thought was better, but they might not be very whippy either.  Illinois is not good, but has a solid D with some decent RB play. 

Wisky is not good either( how long before they move on from Chryst) Michigan will run all over us, and Minny might put up 70 on us. 

West division is pretty much awful.  If we can't win 3 -4 games against that then no one deserves to stay here.  Hate to say that, but I think that should be the way it is.  I wonder how much talent is on this roster(developed talent)?  I wonder how much you can improve players during the season?  Sound like we wasted all of spring and summer practices doing nothing for developing these guys, seems hard to think we can improve them in 8 games.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, ZRod said:

This team will continue to live and die with line play, and specifically the D line. If we don't find an answer there we may not win another game this season. You cannot compete in the B1G without a decent nose tackle.

We have way more issues on defense than the line. This game wish show is what changes on D Mickey is wanting to make. It might not totally click yet. But, hopefully enough to win. 

7 hours ago, Nebhawk said:

Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this quote.  I personally think that most of the team has thrown in the towel in this season.  I don't know how we will ever make an honest judgment on how good of a coach Mickey is or could have been.  I guess with having said that , if Mick can get this team to win 3 or 4 games this season that might speak even louder for him.

Indiana is not good.  Purdon't is not that good.  Iowa has a good defense, but still limited on O.  Rutgers I thought was better, but they might not be very whippy either.  Illinois is not good, but has a solid D with some decent RB play. 

Wisky is not good either( how long before they move on from Chryst) Michigan will run all over us, and Minny might put up 70 on us. 

West division is pretty much awful.  If we can't win 3 -4 games against that then no one deserves to stay here.  Hate to say that, but I think that should be the way it is.  I wonder how much talent is on this roster(developed talent)?  I wonder how much you can improve players during the season?  Sound like we wasted all of spring and summer practices doing nothing for developing these guys, seems hard to think we can improve them in 8 games.

This is why I feel sorry for the kids. This is on Frost. 

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

As Frost stated many times - “we’re close” but he never finished the point.  We were every bit as close to awful and total collapse as to being a decent team.   In four plus seasons, Frost hardly won any games with any meaning.   Just a fact.  

Despite being granted a full reprieve and fresh start to do something positive in year 5, it now has become apparent he just mailed it in since last year.  Obviously to me, he didn’t much care any more.  This attitude was transferred over to the players.  They struggled mightily vs NW, a team now shown to be awful.  Same with ND and GA So.  And even OU who buried us is not a great team.  

The offense under Whipple has shown that better play calling helps but without an O line and consequently a respectable run game to keep teams from smothering the QB, we will struggle.  The Defense could hardly be much worse, almost as if there were an effort to sabotage the defense from the inside.  I can’t otherwise explain the massive fail for the D this year.  

Winning will come in all likelihood because our opponents take us so lightly or just totally screw up.  This by week is almost useless since they lose a week in practices.  Help with injuries rehab but that’s not really a big issue. 

1 minute ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

As Frost stated many times - “we’re close” but he never finished the point.  We were every bit as close to awful and total collapse as to being a decent team team.   In four plus seasons, Frost hardly won any games with any meaning.   Just a fact.  

Despite being granted a full reprieve and fresh start to do something positive in year 5, it now has become apparent he just mailed it in since last year.  Obviously to me, he didn’t much care any more.  This attitude was transferred over to the players.  They struggled nightly vs NW, a team now shown to be awful.  Same with ND and GA So.  And even OU who buried us is not a great team.  

The offense under Whipple has shown that better play calling helps but without an O line and consequently a respectable run game to keep teams from smothering the QB, we will struggle.  The Defense could hardly be much worse, almost as if there were an effort to sabotage the defense from the inside.  I can’t otherwise explain the massive fail for the D this year.  

Winning will come in all likelihood because our opponents take us so lightly or just totally screw up.  This by week is almost useless since they lose a week in practices.  Help with injuries rehab but that’s not really a big issue. 

The team still practiced last week.

At least they should have!