The return of old-school overalls Herbie

Toe

7 hours ago, Gage County said:

Bill Moos sucked for a lot reasons, this is one.

Huh? Steve Pedersen got rid of Overalls Herbie about 20 years ago. I’m not sure who brought back Overalls Herbie for NU gear in recent years, but I love it. It’s an iconic mascot for NU fans.

If you are upset about Herbie going from the “ok” hand signal to the “number 1” hand signal, than you are just a weirdo. Yes, it could be on the edge of being too PC, but to be upset about it is weird. 

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

If you are upset about Herbie going from the “ok” hand signal to the “number 1” hand signal, than you are just a weirdo. Yes, it could be on the edge of being too PC, but to be upset about it is weird. 

Moos is the weirdo that was upset by it.

11 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I’d rather the Huskers be #1 than “okay”…

Maybe I’m weird…

You have a design preference, nothing weird about that. You like #1 Herbie over OK Herbie, I do too. I'm saying you're a weirdo if you thought OK Herbie was racists and needed changed. Moos is the weirdo that did that.

• Haha 1
  • TBH 1

29 minutes ago, Gage County said:

You have a design preference, nothing weird about that. You like #1 Herbie over OK Herbie, I do too. I'm saying you're a weirdo if you thought OK Herbie was racists and needed changed. Moos is the weirdo that did that.

Symbols and gestures change and evolve throughout history.  The Swastika was known as a symbol of well-being, auspiciousness, and good luck for most of the Western world until the 1930's.  I think there are obvious reasons for groups to not use that symbol anymore.  I don't think anyone was accusing Herbie of being racist, however well-known racist groups do use the "ok" hand-gesture to mean something else.  It's not a big deal for NU to pro-actively move away from that hand gesture.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 3
2 hours ago, Gage County said:

I prefer a design that doesn't make over-sensitive media create unnecessary drama around a team logo.

I think Moos made the right call.  Bottom line: "#1" vs "okay" is not a big deal.  However, not being part of a culture war is a very good thing.  I'm "Okay" (:D) with Moos making an insignificant change to not even risk Nebraska being sucked into something ugly.