What did we learn: Indiana

- Learned the post game feeling after a win (especially over a conference opponent) is really really fun and makes you forget about all the things that almost/did/could’ve gone bad during the game

- Learned that the kids really responded to the tough love and emotion on the sidelines 

- Trey Palmer is that dude

- Hunter Anthony came in and… did pretty well

- We have some talented young defenders in Gunnerson, Butler, Hartzog

- Team played loose and fast. Made a ton of mental mistakes (hence the penalties) but i was happy they seemed to shrug it off and continue to play hard

- Team has a little bit of backbone after all

- Oliver Martin.. can be pretty good when he’s out there

- Ervin will have a bigger and bigger role as the season progresses 

- Whoever picks this thing up in December is gonna have a decent foundation to work with, even if there are some glaring issues

• Plus1 8

Defense was better.  DB’s attacked the ball much better. 

Offense needs to do much more than just the first drive.

This was a must win.  I think Friday is too  

And I do think some names are being scratched off the list.  I don’t think there would be any excitement for Campbell or Leonhard.  Lots of coaches not doing so well.  Venables, Jimbo, Tucker, Chryst to name a.few.  

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Its striking at just how bad Frost was holding the team back and how many losses that there have been over the years because he was the head coach. Trying not to dog pile, but this game might have ended in something like 31-28 Indiana just a year ago (or even a worse score). Just too many small things that piled up during a game that prevented wins. The only two drives that Indiana was able to put together felt like something that would've snowballed earlier in the year and Indiana would've got to that 500 yard mark.

Both sides of the ball made adjustments and the team prevented Indiana from starting anything by playing complimentary football (offense not giving the ball away outside of the INT at the 1, ST pinning Indiana deep, and the defense not allowing Indiana from getting out of the hole)  when the offense was stuck in cement through the 3rd quarter.

• Plus1 8
  • Fire 1

Learned this coaching staff can make in game adjustments and can coach during a game something we never saw from Frost

Bernhart absolutely can not do the job at tackle. He can’t do it

RB and WR are good OLine and QB not so good needs to be better especially the oline.

defense has potential 

we can make plays on special teams

with Iowa and Wisconsin down the West is wide open. 

• Plus1 3

I’m still numb. I’m glad they won, but I didn’t get that warm endorphin drop that I used to get.  I wasn’t even sure what time the game started. 

I did get warmish watching the guys smile and laugh after. It’s also fun watching Coach M have a pulse during and after the game. He’s a refreshing interview 

penalties sucked, but most were right. Hope Corcoran gets it bad-bad in practice. Nice watching an aggressive  D. 

that’s all I got-  it was nice and different. I felt like with a two TD lead and 4 plus minutes left we were in good hands and no one was going to snatch the W from us. 

• Plus1 2

Nebraska looked like a competent football team. Not a great one and maybe not even an average one, but hey, they won a B1G conference game by two touchdowns and it really should have been worse, considering we gave them 7 free ones and we threw a pick at the 1. Thompson played a blinder [EDIT: Saw it was Purdy who fumbled in the end zone, not CT. Gotta take the safety there]

I think my favorite part of this game is that we had that moment - that one we always seem to have - where it could have completely gone to hell. During pretty much the entire third quarter when the offense suddenly went dead, it certainly looked like the usual movie. Somebody else said it above but it bears repeating - under the previous administration, this team folds like a cheap lawn chair immediately after the end zone fumble and it's a single score loss.

I'm almost glad they made some really stupid mistakes - perhaps they will gain the confidence and experience to play through them, and win games in spite of them.

Was it pretty? Not really. Perfect? Not even close. It needs to get better, and it can get better, but we won a B1G conference game by two touchdowns, and I'm gonna enjoy it.

I'm so happy for Mickey Joseph. Respect x1000.

Edited by CheeseHusker
Purdy fumbled in end zone, not Thompson
  • Plus1 5
  • Fire 1

Crowd was great and the place was packed, again.

Winning Friday on the road will insure (is that a old person yogurt drink?) sellouts at home the rest of the year.

LL at KU has to be the #1 target and it really can't be close.

Wisconsin is bad...15-10 in their last 25.

Iowa will be lucky to win 5 games

Minny is just horrible when that 10th year RB can't play.

Won't shock me at all if NU finishes near the top or ruins some teams season.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

Baby steps.  Mickey has the ear of the players in the locker room.  They responded like Mickey would expect them to in a close game.

Busch simplified things to where the players could just focus on lining up and beating their man.

Ty Robinson showed his potential.

Like Reimer played his a$$ off.

NEXT MAN UP.  The players know that if you don’t pull your weight, there IS going to be a substitution.

Palmer is a stud.

• Plus1 2

It was an ugly game and it looked like pulling Thompson for a drive was going to be a Scott Frost type costly mistake, but it didn't in the end.  The team was able to handle adversity a few times in the game for the first time in awhile.  It sort of reminds me of the ugly win against Rutgers a couple years back when Martinez turned the ball over a ton, but they still won.

Thompson had a great deep ball to Palmer.  In general, he has a poor internal clock.  He needs to get the ball out sooner as to not eat sacks or get intentional groundings.  I'd like to see him run a bit more.  It seems to work on goal line stands when they need a few yards.

Palmer is a stud.

It was nice to see Oliver Martin contributing again.  He was alligator arming it in previous games.

The defense played by far their best game of the season.  It did help that Indiana's top 2 WRs were hurt.

• Plus1 2