What did we learn: Indiana

2 minutes ago, lo country said:

Coaching. It matters.  And we had it last night.

Grant and Palmer were great pick ups.  

Questioned some of Whips calls, but overall did a nice job.

Buschini did a great job punting.

ST's finally showed up and were special.

Some of the younger guys got there shot and should get more playing time moving forward.

CT is a tough QB.  Got beat around again.  Needs to get rid of the ball quicker.

A win is a win.  And much needed.  On to Rutgers!

On the 3rd and 2 that got him pulled for the next series, Palmer was "open" in that he was behind his guy and there was no one on the opposite side of the field. Hit his back foot and launch it at that point. He just wasn't seeing things and after he got pulled he was better.

24 minutes ago, KCBuc said:

I learned the B10 can find worse officials than usual. Quite the accomplishment.

That referee - I don't know his name, but I recognized his face. Every time I see him, there's always an "oh no, that guy".

There used to be a guy in the Big 12 who always screwed us too - was from Texas and wore glasses.

The two of them are about as bad as each other.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

He was finishing the block and swung his hand, open, into the guys helmet to push his face into the turf. Definitely would look like a punch live, especially with the flag the previous play.

And it’s the type of thing that happens a lot and is rarely called. We rewatched it 20 times to try to see what the ref saw. It was ticky tack.

• Plus1 2

26 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I wonder if MJ is retained as HC and if he’d get his brother to come to Neb as DC and change Busch’s role to recruiting coordinator and ST coach??

Vance has some serious allegations in his past. True? I don’t know, but I doubt he will ever see a college campus as a coach 

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

Said it was ticky tacky last night and the video above clarifies it even more. Probably under more scrutiny due to the previous Unsportsmanlike.

That replay is slowed down so the strike to the face doesn't appear as bad it probably was to the naked eye of the referee at live speed.  While it wasn't a "closed-fist" punch which people on Twitter got all their panties in a bunch about, at live speed, that's a strike to the face which warrants an ejection in that situation.  I thought the first unsportsmanlike penalty on Turner was ticky-tack, as I thought he was just protecting his QB.  But, Turner can't be playing out of control on the next play, and hit the opponent like that. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

Basically the same defense. Completely different results. Busch got this done by:

1. Bringing in some young guys and testing their motivation/skill (Hartzog, Butler, probably missing some others).

2. Being a bit more aggressive with bringing pressure with the non-down linemen linebackers.

3. Playing tighter coverage.

I think Indiana's offense is as good or better than Georgia Southern's. They have the same kind of starting QB and the same basic "fast pitch & catch" scheme. But we looked like a completely different defense with the tighter coverage.

When you let a QB just stand there all day with no blitz while he throws into soft coverage you're going to get 500-600 yards racked up on you. Here's how we fared last night:

image.png.8d40659e1d88ffd4993793fc3520adf2.png

Give Bill Busch some kind of a raise.

• Plus1 1

I thought putting Purdy in the game was almost a stupider decision than Frost going for the onside kick against Northwestern. Then even stupider still, not just calling a simple handoff play on the 3rd & long.

That almost cost us the game from a momentum standpoint.

Fortunately it appears that Joseph had the team in a different kind of mindset that we haven't seen for a long time and everybody stayed calm & confident and just kept pushing until we got the deep bomb to Palmer that put us up 28-21.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Undone said:

I thought putting Purdy in the game was almost a stupider decision than Frost going for the onside kick against Northwestern. Then even stupider still, not just calling a simple handoff play on the 3rd & long.

That almost cost us the game from a momentum standpoint.

Fortunately it appears that Joseph had the team in a different kind of mindset that we haven't seen for a long time and everybody stayed calm & confident and just kept pushing until we got the deep bomb to Palmer that put us up 28-21.

Agreed play calling could have been better here and the series before the end of the first half wasn't well executed or thought out.

35 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That replay is slowed down so the strike to the face doesn't appear as bad it probably was to the naked eye of the referee at live speed.  While it wasn't a "closed-fist" punch which people on Twitter got all their panties in a bunch about, at live speed, that's a strike to the face which warrants an ejection in that situation.  I thought the first unsportsmanlike penalty on Turner was ticky-tack, as I thought he was just protecting his QB.  But, Turner can't be playing out of control on the next play, and hit the opponent like that. 

It definitely looked worse at full speed live action. I only arrived at ticky tack after rewatching it numerous times. But yeah it was totally within the realm of being called as it was. The prior one was definitely BS and that made the two in a row for an ejection seem pretty overzealous for the refs.

I got the feeling all night that they wanted to be part of the story. Maybe they wanted to impress Kevin Warren who was in attendance. I always figure the refs should just keep the game fair rather than shaping the game.

36 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

1- I didn’t quote your post, I made a standalone statement. No goalpost to move.

2- Your post implied the only reason we won was because we were the taller midget. Wait, my bad, you didn’t “imply” that, you clearly said it directly and also said that anybody that couldn’t see that might be the shorter midget.

Talk about moving goal posts:facepalm:
If/When you post bad takes around here, people will notice, call you out on it and laugh at them. Somehow that’s now my fault? :lol:

1) you might want to google “moving the goalpost”

2) you literally just tried to say you weren’t responding to me then when on to admit you were responding to me in the same post

3) “people” didn’t call me out, you did…so I guess you need to google “people” too

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, CheeseHusker said:

Nebraska looked like a competent football team. Not a great one and maybe not even an average one, but hey, they won a B1G conference game by two touchdowns and it really should have been worse, considering we gave them 7 free ones and we threw a pick at the 1. Thompson played a blinder but geez, take the safety man!

It was Chubba Purdy that fumbled in the endzone.

51 minutes ago, lo country said:

Buschini did a great job punting.

ST's finally showed up and were special.

Yes! Huge difference when special teams are actually an asset to you instead of a liability.

I think Buschini had two punts in the first half the got away from him off the side of his foot a bit and went out of bounds that he would have liked to have back. Then after that point he was nailing them down field. Can't overstate how big of a difference this makes.

We played field position against them after the strip six and it made all the difference.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Red Silk Smoking Jacket said:

1) you might want to google “moving the goalpost”

2) you literally just tried to say you weren’t responding to me then when on to admit you were responding to me in the same post

3) “people” didn’t call me out, you did…so I guess you need to google “people” too

Well 3 “people” laughed at your post and none of the 3 was me. Maybe you think it’s because it was funny? I think the reactions were for the idiotic take on the game. I’ll help out your rep and go make it 4.

• Plus1 3