What did we learn: Indiana

I think we learned MJ should be given consideration.
He played for Nebraska.
He knows Nebraska and what it means. He had fire and passion up and down the sideline. The more I listen to him talk, the more I like to believe he gets it, especially about winning on the line of scrimmage and the overall attitude towards toughness. A bye week. Tackling in practice. Yeah, there were mistakes but like someone said earlier, it was fast, it was loose and MJ wasn't afraid to coach a kid through a mistake.

And it looks like the kids would run through a wall for him. I think it would be a sneaky good hire at a relatively cheap price.

• Plus1 3

Learned:

the refs were awful for sides. The B1G needs to review that crew and demote. Refs could call a penalty on every football play in every game. These guys did that and it was just awful. 

despite the termination of their coach, there appears to be players that love playing for each other and appreciate a sold out stadium, playing for Nebraska. 

MJ had fire and passion and it bled into his players. So great to see

Palmer, Grant, CT, and some elder players stood up and took victory from the jaws of defeat. 

we actually can attain some goals this season. 

• Plus1 1
46 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

It was Chubba Purdy that fumbled in the endzone.

Indeed it was - my mistake.

I did not watch the game live (I'm in Australia) but a 20 minute condensed version which cut everything out except actual plays, so I did not spot the quarterback change.

So I guess I should say.... Chubba, take the safety.

• Plus1 2

15 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

I did not watch the game live (I'm in Australia) but a 20 minute condensed version which cut everything out except actual plays, so I did not spot the quarterback change.

It was a poor play call. But yes, he should’ve just tucked the ball and ran forward. Hard for a guy to do that on his first series in the game though. That one’s on Whipple.

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

It definitely looked worse at full speed live action. I only arrived at ticky tack after rewatching it numerous times. But yeah it was totally within the realm of being called as it was. The prior one was definitely BS and that made the two in a row for an ejection seem pretty overzealous for the refs.

I got the feeling all night that they wanted to be part of the story. Maybe they wanted to impress Kevin Warren who was in attendance. I always figure the refs should just keep the game fair rather than shaping the game.

The refs were bad both ways with just way too many penalties. It felt evenly called, just should have let the kids play a little more. 

19 minutes ago, CheeseHusker said:

He had no chance.  The stunt fooled the OL and RB.  The guy came clean.

22 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I learned that this team has nothing to lose and everything to gain. The spark has been ignited... now it's time to feed the flame.

On another note - was I right about Malcom Hartzog, or was I right?

You must have received a vision from Urban Meyer about that guy.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2

The team was playing to win much more so than previous. More fearlessness. Not just the players but the nature of how the game was called on both sides of the ball. That translates to better playing.

Things didn’t work at times and they kept after it. They played with more confidence. At two or three junctures they could’ve started to fall apart. Instead things didn’t spiral. That has quite a bit to do with the mindset of the coaches. 

What did we learn? We seen more of what’s necessary for execution and regaining momentum when things got rough and could’ve gone bad. Can’t win playing with apprehension. Now they have to build on that confidence. They’re more motivated toward improving. 

Not a particularly tough opponent but not a terrible one either. How would we be feeling now if we’d lost! There’s reason for some optimism. 

• Fire 1

Looks like the rule can be broadly applied.

SECTION 32. Fighting

ARTICLE 1.

Fighting is any attempt by a player, coach or squad member in uniform to strike an opponent in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to:

• An attempt to strike an opponent with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact.
  • An unsportsmanlike act toward an opponent that causes any opponent to retaliate by fighting (Rules 9-2-1 and 9-5-1-a-c).

• Thanks 1
18 minutes ago, irafreak said:

The refs were bad both ways with just way too many penalties. It felt evenly called, just should have let the kids play a little more. 

Yeah, I don’t think they were biased, just way too overactive. Maybe the worst call of the night was the offensive PI against Indiana. Ridiculous.

• Thanks 1

It wasn’t just the flags. All those reviews, the delay when IU was trying to snap the ball, premature whistles, watching individual players instead of the “whole game”. We come to watch football not zebras. 19 combined penalties in the 1st half. 
Two not very good teams, yes. Make it worse on every play? No.