What did we learn: Indiana

2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I just learned that we had more punt return yards in this one game than we did all of last season. And the yards weren’t that amazing. I guess it shows that actually catching some punts and returning a few is a good thing. Thanks no fear of failure Frost.

Would still like Palmer to get more north-south, but it was an improvement last night. 

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Would still like Palmer to get more north-south, but it was an improvement last night. 

Yes, he did too much dancing and not enough heading north south. Juking the first guy makes some sense but you ain’t going anywhere if you try it on the 2nd and 3rd guy……but we still had more return yards than all of last year. Kind of mind boggling when you consider the yardage was nothing to write home about.

The more I think about Frost….Chins…..his special teams the more pissed I get. Good riddance.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I think taking Casey out after he takes a sack holding the ball for EVER was the right call. Even if the Purdy play giving Indiana a TD was the price to pay. The message sent in the sideline may have had something to do with Casey’s motivation to only miss one play after the shoulder plant & the entire offense to execute that near perfect time-consuming March for a TD in the 4th.

I did not see the game on TV, but from this clip it appears that MJ is following Casey after Whipple rips Casey a new one. I’d love to know what MJ said, but I’ll bet it was something to build him up & not let him get OVERLY down on himself. I’m sure he didn’t contradict what Whipple said, but MJ’s emotional intelligence surely showed in what he said to Casey afterwards.  (Did any sports reporter ask about this?) Good coaching is about knowing when to bend a player over to kick his butt - but then when to stand him back for a pat on the back. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

I think taking Casey out after he takes a sack holding the ball for EVER was the right call. Even if the Purdy play giving Indiana a TD was the price to pay. The message sent in the sideline may have had something to do with Casey’s motivation to only miss one play after the shoulder plant & the entire offense to execute that near perfect time-consuming March for a TD in the 4th.

I did not see the game on TV, but from this clip it appears that MJ is following Casey after Whipple rips Casey a new one. I’d love to know what MJ said, but I’ll bet it was something to build him up & not let him get OVERLY down on himself. I’m sure he didn’t contradict what Whipple said, but MJ’s emotional intelligence surely showed in what he said to Casey afterwards.  (Did any sports reporter ask about this?) Good coaching is about knowing when to bend a player over to kick his butt - but then when to stand him back for a pat on the back. 

Don’t think we ever saw that from Frost. Just competitive ripping. Get it out, get on with competing. Kids are soft af these days but sometimes they need a little juice. I like it. Especially MJ following up and good cop/bad cop 

bam 

• Fire 4
2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Totally untrue. A search of his name shows that the last time he was mentioned on this board was August 9. I made the call last night right before he came in the game and started making plays. Why is it so hard for some of you to give props to fellow Husker fans?

I for one said to look out for him in the summer. Maybe not this week but I can recall quite a few people saying at least in the recruiting threads he would be a factor and may not redshirt. I predicted he wasn’t gonna redshirt. Not sure why as an adult man/woman you need that much validation from a random guy on a message board either. 

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

That both Brant Banks and Hunter Anthony have earned playing time.

Benhart can sit. 

• Plus1 1

Can't say it's something I learned this game, but I was once again reminded how the Game Thread brings out the worst posters with the most panicky and idiotic takes. 

I guess four quarters of solid football and a clean blowout is always preferable, but for this team I actually think it was more valuable to have that third quarter struggle, see things going bad in that predictable here-we-go-again way, and then pull away on both sides of the ball in a very solid fourth quarter. It wasn't just winning a game, it was getting that other monkey off our back. We'll see. 

Related: the video of the team going nuts in the locker room , bouncing around Mickey Joseph. Only a mental midget would not be happy for them, or take it as something to build on. 

We're lucky to have Casey Thompson, Anthony Grant, and Trey Palmer. We're also in good hands with Mark Whipple. The guys on the Game Thread clamoring for Chubba Purdy or Logan Smothers.......I just don't get that. 

Was it not the prettiest game? No. It wasn't always pretty, but it was fairly exciting. Did anyone watch the second half of the Kansas - Iowa State game featuring two coaches some think we should hire?  That was some really arhythmic who-wants-it-least football being played out. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes, he did too much dancing and not enough heading north south. Juking the first guy makes some sense but you ain’t going anywhere if you try it on the 2nd and 3rd guy……but we still had more return yards than all of last year. Kind of mind boggling when you consider the yardage was nothing to write home about.

The more I think about Frost….Chins…..his special teams the more pissed I get. Good riddance.

I get the north south. But I’m all due respect he didn’t become an electric return guy at LsU by going north and south.  He has to do what he has to do to make it happen. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

I get the north south. But I’m all due respect he didn’t become an electric return guy at LsU by going north and south.  He has to do what he has to do to make it happen. 

But on kick returns you know guys are supposed to make the first guy miss, and then head north-south.  You can't expect to make those jukes all the way down the field.