What did we learn: Indiana

4 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Totally untrue. A search of his name shows that the last time he was mentioned on this board was August 9. I made the call last night right before he came in the game and started making plays. Why is it so hard for some of you to give props to fellow Husker fans?

I get you!  This board is terrible about saying “you’re right”

3 minutes ago, admo said:

I am not going to put the cart before the horse...........

However...... we just won a big ten football game :horns2

Next up is Friday night.  Rutgers.  Road trip  

Day by Day  :)

Winning is fun!!!

• Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Decked said:

I for one said to look out for him in the summer. Maybe not this week but I can recall quite a few people saying at least in the recruiting threads he would be a factor and may not redshirt. I predicted he wasn’t gonna redshirt. Not sure why as an adult man/woman you need that much validation from a random guy on a message board either. 

I'm not talking about the summer. I'm talking about last night, specifically. It has nothing to do with "validation" -- it has to do with the point that I called for it, literally minutes before it happened. It has to do with the fact that even though we're all Husker fans and all want the same thing - to see this team and program succeed - there are some fans who still treat others as the enemy. 

• Haha 4
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

SIAP

I didn't get to watch the game all the closely.  But I'm curious if we really tackled that much better or were just in better position to make tackles because of simplifying the defense. 

Either way, this is an improvement.

Missed tackles were previously coming from the back 7 (OLB/Nick/Corners/Safeties).

I liked seeing our corners playing LOS bump and jab... to disrupt the pass play windows.  It made a difference from our soft coverage before.

I liked seeing 2 ILBs (28 and 42)  in position, set and ready before the play, and closer to LOS.  They were focused on the run game.

I liked seeing 44 playing some OLB and right-side DE (a few times).  That was truly a twist.

I think what I noticed most is the positioning of defenders.  The plan seemed to be to line up close, stop the run, play man coverage (bump and disrupt), and send some blitzes.  

But also, the field position helped a lot with how we got some stops.  

3 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I think taking Casey out after he takes a sack holding the ball for EVER was the right call. Even if the Purdy play giving Indiana a TD was the price to pay. The message sent in the sideline may have had something to do with Casey’s motivation to only miss one play after the shoulder plant & the entire offense to execute that near perfect time-consuming March for a TD in the 4th.

I did not see the game on TV, but from this clip it appears that MJ is following Casey after Whipple rips Casey a new one. I’d love to know what MJ said, but I’ll bet it was something to build him up & not let him get OVERLY down on himself. I’m sure he didn’t contradict what Whipple said, but MJ’s emotional intelligence surely showed in what he said to Casey afterwards.  (Did any sports reporter ask about this?) Good coaching is about knowing when to bend a player over to kick his butt - but then when to stand him back for a pat on the back. 

One of the first comments, some people are still so scared of Bo!

ltphz20i_normal.jpg

Replying to and
Get home outta here. Hes exactly like Bo. We don't need that kinda stuff on our sideline do we?
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

SIAP

I didn't get to watch the game all the closely.  But I'm curious if we really tackled that much better or were just in better position to make tackles because of simplifying the defense. 

From just watching live last night, I felt the defense was in much better position and much closer to the ball at the point it was caught by the receivers.  The defenders weren’t having to fly up to make contact and eventually whiff

I liked them playing much closer to the line of scrimmage and would like to see the backers a yard closer and the safety/safeties a few yards closer at the snap still. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

I think taking Casey out after he takes a sack holding the ball for EVER was the right call. Even if the Purdy play giving Indiana a TD was the price to pay. The message sent in the sideline may have had something to do with Casey’s motivation to only miss one play after the shoulder plant & the entire offense to execute that near perfect time-consuming March for a TD in the 4th.

I did not see the game on TV, but from this clip it appears that MJ is following Casey after Whipple rips Casey a new one. I’d love to know what MJ said, but I’ll bet it was something to build him up & not let him get OVERLY down on himself. I’m sure he didn’t contradict what Whipple said, but MJ’s emotional intelligence surely showed in what he said to Casey afterwards.  (Did any sports reporter ask about this?) Good coaching is about knowing when to bend a player over to kick his butt - but then when to stand him back for a pat on the back. 

Well I saw the game.  It was a butt chewing.  Any player can get that from coaches. He had a wrist injury.  He did not get pulled in favor of the backup QB.   If he did, then the coaches f#&%ed it up.  Because it cost them 7 points before the half, and momentum.  Until I hear otherwise, this is a nothing burger.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, NM11046 said:

I'm not sure we should be so quick to think Busch should be demoted back to just special teams.  In a weeks' time he did a pretty good job with the D changes that needed to be made.  

yes that thought was in the back of my mind as well - nice seeing the improvements on D. 

8 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Vance has some serious allegations in his past. True? I don’t know, but I doubt he will ever see a college campus as a coach 

I didn't know that

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

SIAP

I would say both to a limited extent.  We have been misaligned, over running, slow reacting, thinking to much, hesitating, etc.  In short, just not playing very smart, not playing confidently, and really - as Mickey put it - being the hunted instead of the hunter.  

I don’t know about the PFF #s.  But we did seem to make a dozen or so tackles where previously they would have let the guy slip away.  I like gang tackling (assisted tackles in the stats I guess).  That’s when defenses go from average to good.  There seemed to be more than usual but in numbers terms, idk how much.  

The defense played much harder. More relentless.  Indiana had a couple TD drives that hurt us but there were a couple key plays that enabled them to finish. Our defense wasn’t bad - Indy made exceptional plays.  We gave up just 14 points defensively.  We will win a lot of games at that level.  

• Fire 1
12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I would say both to a limited extent.  We have been misaligned, over running, slow reacting, thinking to much, hesitating, etc.  In short, just not playing very smart, not playing confidently, and really - as Mickey put it - being the hunted instead of the hunter.  

I don’t know about the PFF #s.  But we did seem to make a dozen or so tackles where previously they would have let the guy slip away.  I like gang tackling (assisted tackles in the stats I guess).  That’s when defenses go from average to good.  There seemed to be more than usual but in numbers terms, idk how much.  

The defense played much harder. More relentless.  Indiana had a couple TD drives that hurt us but there were a couple key plays that enabled them to finish. Our defense wasn’t bad - Indy made exceptional plays.  We gave up just 14 points defensively.  We will win a lot of games at that level.  

I’m hoping those drives we gave up where we looked like the old defense actually allows for a direct in game contrast in film study that allows the guys to gut check the difference. You are capable of good defense. Mental let downs lead to awful defense.  Cut those and the sky is the limit. It’s clear as day in the footage. 

• Fire 1

Learned the following:

(1) FROST AND CHIN were frauds who robbed us blind

(2) we have some talented players and we are not a total rebuild

(3) with the right coaches we can easily compete for division and conference titles (May be even make playoffs)

(4) Thompson is not a good QB. We need to keep looking and developing another QB. Thompson starts red hot and then fizzles out

(5) penalties continue to plague us

(6) if we play 4 quarters of football, we have a chance to win every game except Michigan. 

• Haha 1

I learned that we beat a very bad Indiana team, and the rest of the schedule is full of more very bad teams. Even if NU wins a few of those games doesn’t make NU a good team. It makes them the same as a bunch of other bad football programs.

Would Mickey leading NU to a few more wins over some very bad Big Ten West teams give me enough confidence that he would build a consistent, top 1/3 of the conference team in the conference?  I really don’t know right now. 

• Plus1 4
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I learned that we beat a very bad Indiana team, and the rest of the schedule is full of more very bad teams. Even if NU wins a few of those games doesn’t make NU a good team. It makes them the same as a bunch of other bad football programs.

Would Mickey leading NU to a few more wins over some very bad Big Ten West teams give me enough confidence that he would build a consistent, top 1/3 of the conference team in the conference?  I really don’t know right now. 

Thank you!

The West is basically like the bad guys in Gi Joe or the old Batman TV show...They suck.

• Plus1 1