What did we learn: Indiana

Pros: defense played like their hair was on fire. Fast, aggressive, and decisive.
Casey Thompson is a stud. Everyone saying Palmer was the mvp, which I don’t disagree with, but Casey made some great throws knowing he was going to get lit up and if that doesn’t happen Palmer has no chance to make plays.

Grant will be a big time back in the big ten. Something we haven’t had in 5+ years

Palmer is our x factor. He makes a play when they need it. Maybe our most talented  player on offense.

Coaching… MJ actively teaching those kids how to play football in real time was fun to watch. Some tough love and some energy/ emotion is what this program has been missing.

An AD that gives a s&@t: Seeing trev on the sidelines and giving the gameball to MJ in the locker room was the stuff of movies.

Mental toughness: after we let them hang in there and tie it up we didn’t s$@t the bed and they actually executed and finished. 

Special teams came up big when they needed to. 

Cons: Oline. Not that we didn’t know this before but it was cemented last night that #54 is a tomato can. Almost every time CT got hit or hurried was from the right side and usually they came untouched. 
corcoran getting ejected didn’t hurt us at all. Makes you wonder how good the guys riding the bench all this time really are…

Special teams needs to learn how to get back and block for Palmer. 
sometimes CT holds it too long. Sometimes you gotta pull it down and run it.  lots of running lanes open in the middle while people are running circles around # 54 on the edge

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

33 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Would Mickey leading NU to a few more wins over some very bad Big Ten West teams give me enough confidence that he would build a consistent, top 1/3 of the conference team in the conference?  I really don’t know right now. 

This is the interesting thing.  If we play somewhat as well as we did last night, the next two are winnable.  Then we get an Illinois team that Indiana beat.  Then a Minnesota team that didn't look nearly as strong as they opened the season.

It's not a stretch to say we could be within a win of bowl eligibility going down the stretch (or even already there).  If we could even manage that, it would seems like a huge turn-around from where we were two weeks ago.

But what does that mean long-term?  There was a lot of talk about wanting an experienced Power 5 coach.  This would be a guy who's never even been a head coach.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 2

Don't want to rain on the parade, but wasn't Indiana missing like the best two weapons on offense last night?  They don't have an explosive offense anyway, but missing two key receivers will make a huge difference in how this game was played.

We won, kudos to Mickey for getting some things figured out that were pretty darn simple.  Like lining up right......tackling......taking what the defense is giving us on O............

My biggest concern going forward is our O-line, followed by our D line.  WE looked so much better last night, but Indiana is hardly a juggernaut on offense.   They are fast paced, and average like 4 yards per play.  With that being said, other than Ohio ST,  I think the Big 10 is very weak and i think most games will be winable from here out.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Nebhawk said:

Don't want to rain on the parade, but wasn't Indiana missing like the best two weapons on offense last night?  They don't have an explosive offense anyway, but missing two key receivers will make a huge difference in how this game was played.

It would appear that their two best WRs - in both catches and yards - did not play.  At least neither had a catch.

With the Wisky job coming open, this plays a bigger part in our coach search.  Will they stick with Leanard or will they go get Aranda?  How many more jobs are coming open soon?  Texas A@M? 

n

I think we have a narrower window with those supposed Power 5 level coaches when more P-5 jobs keep coming open.

That Texas A@M gig would make most coaches salivate having the #1 recruiting class and others.  I am not knocking Nebraska's job, but saying that I think Wisky is on even grounds, and I think that A@M is above.  How many other jobs will come open that are even to us and that are above us is the question going forward.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This is the interesting thing.  If we play somewhat as well as we did last night, the next two are winnable.  Then we get an Illinois team that Indiana beat.  Then a Minnesota team that didn't look nearly as strong as they opened the season.

It's not a stretch to say we could be within a win of bowl eligibility going down the stretch (or even already there).  If we could even manage that, it would seems like a huge turn-around from where we were two weeks ago.

But what does that mean long-term?  There was a lot of talk about wanting an experienced Power 5 coach.  This would be a guy who's never even been a head coach.

The one thing that I do think Mickey brings us being around what a true, talented team looks like from his years at LSU. While Mickey won’t talk bad about the roster, I’m sure he and Busch walked in and saw that the roster needs significant improvement. The only bad part of that is that the areas need the most improvement (the lines) also take the longest to recruit and develop.

• Fire 1
16 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

With the Wisky job coming open, this plays a bigger part in our coach search.  Will they stick with Leanard or will they go get Aranda?  How many more jobs are coming open soon?  Texas A@M? 

n

I think we have a narrower window with those supposed Power 5 level coaches when more P-5 jobs keep coming open.

That Texas A@M gig would make most coaches salivate having the #1 recruiting class and others.  I am not knocking Nebraska's job, but saying that I think Wisky is on even grounds, and I think that A@M is above.  How many other jobs will come open that are even to us and that are above us is the question going forward.

I’d say that there is better than a 50% chance Wisconsin hires Leonard depending on how the remainder of their season goes. If there’s not improvement and it goes horribly probably not. 

Aranda more likely remains at Baylor. Leopold more likely to Nebraska than Aranda. That’s just my gut instinct. And it’s possible neither are interested. O’Brien winds up here if Mickey Joseph’s audition doesn’t go well enough.

I can see Urban Meyer possibly taking the A&M job if he really wants to return to coaching. 

13 minutes ago, Cornbred said:

I learned that Whipple may be doing shots on the sidelines. Why would you put in a cold qb and run an option pitch play?

Likely that was one of the plays planned for when Purdy went in. The main issue I have was the timing. Backed up close to the end zone doesn’t seem the best of options to bring him in. There were better options than the option pitch play though too. 

3 minutes ago, M.A. said:

Likely that was one of the plays planned for when Purdy went in. The main issue I have was the timing. Backed up close to the end zone doesn’t seem the best of options to bring him in. There were better options than the option pitch play though too. 

I think you two are talking about different plays. 

• Plus1 1