What did we learn: Indiana

29 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

If Busch's defense continues to show improvement and gets better as the year/season goes on why would we replace him? I might be wrong here but... the fewer coaching changes that occur the quicker the team moves on. Change, even in a limited version is difficult so if MJ is retained as HC why not give the current staff the off season and 2023 to prove their metal? Honestly, what role coaches aren't getting it done? The defensive group as a whole seems to be excited with the more aggressive game plan. The halftime adjustments happened. In game adjustments as well and the 4th quarter showed it. Continuity is always the best path, yes?

You don’t bring in “good,” if you are Mickey and you get a real shot. You bring in the best your money can buy you. And you do that in both sides of the ball. Honestly, I don’t even think Whipple is good enough. Mickey will lose a bit as a HC in “clout.”  He’s a huge wildcard for kids, he’s not super polished and he will be learning everything on the job, including the entire conference. The only way he can shore that up is with an all star coaching staff. He’s gonna have to shoot for the stars with his staff.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

Saying Illinois is bad doesn't take away from the win.  Nebraska has struggled vs bad teams for many years.  Its good that we did what we are supposed to do.  Beating bad teams is step 1 in this whole "get back to being good" process

With that said, Indiana is bad.

ESPN FPI #79

SP+ #83

So like,  what was the Indiana offense and defense ranked BEFORE playing Nebraska?  You didn't answer, but provided the stats AFTER the Huskers held them to 14 points (way below there average going into game) and 290 yards (way below their average before playing Nebraska).  I'd like to see that.  But also, you provided with some whacky ESPN FPI and SP+ special stats as a counter argument.  After playing Huskers

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, admo said:

So like,  what was the Indiana offense and defense ranked BEFORE playing Nebraska?  You didn't answer, but provided the stats AFTER the Huskers held them to 14 points (way below there average going into game) and 290 yards (way below their average before playing Nebraska).  I'd like to see that.  But also, you provided with some whacky ESPN FPI and SP+ special stats as a counter argument.  After playing Huskers

Knock yourself out looking those up. I’m not your Google monkey.

Going on and on about Indiana being a good football team is an odd hill to die on 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
1 minute ago, Red Five said:

Knock yourself out looking those up. I’m not your Google monkey.

Going on and on about Indiana being a good football team is an odd hill to die on 

Why would I do your work?  You brought the stats to the table and used them as your point. And then you doubled up with different ratings. 

Sorry sir, but I still stand by my original point and post.  Which you fought against twice.  So enjoy your hill which disrespects Indiana (as a bad team) when the Huskers win.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

If Busch's defense continues to show improvement and gets better as the year/season goes on why would we replace him? I might be wrong here but... the fewer coaching changes that occur the quicker the team moves on. Change, even in a limited version is difficult so if MJ is retained as HC why not give the current staff the off season and 2023 to prove their metal? Honestly, what role coaches aren't getting it done? The defensive group as a whole seems to be excited with the more aggressive game plan. The halftime adjustments happened. In game adjustments as well and the 4th quarter showed it. Continuity is always the best path, yes?

Agree with this. I have never understood the "hey, you have exceeded our expectations for this interim role, thank you and I hope things work out for you somewhere else" mentality.

• Plus1 1

52 minutes ago, admo said:

Why would I do your work?  You brought the stats to the table and used them as your point. And then you doubled up with different ratings. 

Sorry sir, but I still stand by my original point and post.  Which you fought against twice.  So enjoy your hill which disrespects Indiana (as a bad team) when the Huskers win.

giphy.gif

• Haha 4
  • TBH 1
4 hours ago, Loebarth said:

If you’re not willing to give them 5 years you’re not really invested in them.  One extra year to try out?  Nah. I trust in whatever decision Trev makes. 

• Plus1 2

10 hours ago, krc1995 said:

If you’re not willing to give them 5 years you’re not really invested in them.  One extra year to try out?  Nah. I trust in whatever decision Trev makes. 

Do assistants usually get long term deals as it was my understanding that most assistants and over half of the coordinators are on yearly/annual contracts, am I wrong in my thinking?

3 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Do assistants usually get long term deals as it was my understanding that most assistants and over half of the coordinators are on yearly/annual contracts, am I wrong in my thinking?

Most assistant coaches are now on 2-year contracts.  Mickey was given a 3-year contract to help lure him to Nebraska.

On 10/2/2022 at 12:11 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Would still like Palmer to get more north-south, but it was an improvement last night. 

One of his returns was wide open to left but he took it right. Looked like the punter continually out kicked his coverage (down wind from the south). Palmer waited a couple of seconds to let the coverage angle in, then was able to skirt around the first man. I did notice they being in Olive Martin when it looks like it will be a fair catch situation (inside the 10 or so). I was just so pleased to see us fielding the punts, positive return yardage was a bonus.