What did we learn: Indiana

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Our offense was definitely the problem last year.

You know that from past conversations we completely agree about how the offense was incorrectly scapegoated last season, so totally on the same page there.

But I'm wondering what's going on with their metrics; we've had a bye week and only played 5 games so far by the October 2 point in the year, whereas last year we had played six.

Are they not accounting for that? Because through the first five games of last year we averaged 27.6 points per game, but this year it's 30 points per game (and I did take out the punt return TD to get those figures).

*Edit: I guess if we're talking averages then it's fine to include the Northwestern game last year if we're going through 10/02. We were at 32.3 PPG last year including that one.

Still just wondering what metrics they're using. My prediction though is that we outpace last year's offensive PPG average by the end of the regular season.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Undone said:

You know that from past conversations we completely agree about how the offense was incorrectly scapegoated last season, so totally on the same page there.

But I'm wondering what's going on with their metrics; we've had a bye week and only played 5 games so far by the October 2 point in the year, whereas last year we had played six.

Are they not accounting for that? Because through the first five games of last year we averaged 27.6 points per game, but this year it's 30 points per game (and I did take out the punt return TD to get those figures).

I think it's just the opponent adjustment and full 2021 season - so there's room for a lot to change even with our games that have already happened. But as of now NW and Oklahoma are 66/67 in ppg allowed, Georgia Southern is 85th, and Indiana is 99th. Not sure how they handle UND and Fordham.

I'm not going to look through the rankings for all of the opponents last year, but skimming the list the only opponents last year that weren't top-60 were NW (89th, and they would've jumped up to 70th if you take out our game) and Buffalo (93rd). We played a lot of top-40 (and several top 10) scoring defense last year, and haven't faced a statistically good scoring defense yet this year.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm not going to look through the rankings for all of the opponents last year, but skimming the list the only opponents last year that weren't top-60 were NW (89th, and they would've jumped up to 70th if you take out our game) and Buffalo (93rd). We played a lot of top-40 (and several top 10) scoring defense last year, and haven't faced a statistically good scoring defense yet this year.

Good stuff. I think the summary is that our offense actually did fairly well against 'good' defenses last year, while this year our offense has also done enough to win...but our defense sucked so bad against Northwestern & Georgia Southern.

I really believe if we replayed Northwestern this Saturday with the same scheme & philosophy from the Indiana game we'd win. Same for sure with Georgia Southern. That's what's so frustrating.

Northwestern's offense is in reality really bad. We just made it so easy for them to march down the field with soft zone style we were playing. Really dumb, and quite the waste of all of the offensive weapons & resources we brought to the table this year.

1 minute ago, krc1995 said:

But you wanted him HC through 2023. No? 

No.. I was referencing Busch and Wipple if MJ is promoted. I'd assume MJ, if promoted, would be on a 3 yr or more contract and I'd if this staff does turn things around (they'd have to for MJ to be promoted) then I think the assistants have also earned the opportunity to stay as well. That is what I'm saying. However, if MJ is not given the reigns and a new coach is hired, well... sad as it would be, it's chopping block time. 

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

No.. I was referencing Busch and Wipple if MJ is promoted. I'd assume MJ, if promoted, would be on a 3 yr or more contract and I'd if this staff does turn things around (they'd have to for MJ to be promoted) then I think the assistants have also earned the opportunity to stay as well. That is what I'm saying. However, if MJ is not given the reigns and a new coach is hired, well... sad as it would be, it's chopping block time. 

Sipple mentioned on a show today that whip is done and knows he’s done. 

Sipple is with ON3 sports... they create controversy for profit. MJ gave credit to Whip for being savvy and running out the clock. I've never been a Sipple fan as I personally believe Sipple would turn on his own mother for a little gold. I don't trust anything that originates in his head.  

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Sipple mentioned on a show today that whip is done and knows he’s done. 

Whipple is 65 years old. He said in the offseason he had considered retiring last year.

So I don't think the guy really cares all that much one way or the other; he's only on a two year contract anyway. He'd probably love to just get the last year bought out and go drink beer in retirement.

The comment he made was saying that if Joseph doesn't get the head coaching gig he'll probably be fired, and the point from context was basically "let it f****** rip at this point."

Sipple is a dingus.

4 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Whipple said he’s probably gone after the year but he will ride Joseph's coat tails as far as he can. So, that tells me that if Joseph is HC next year, he might be back. I’d be fine with him being retained. 

IF Joseph gets the HC gig, I believe he will look for the best OC he can find and Whip would get moved to analyst if he wanted to stay around. The only way Whip would stay on as OC is if Joseph couldn't find a quality OC to take his place. If NU will open up the checkbook then I dont see that being a problem

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
41 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

IF Joseph gets the HC gig, I believe he will look for the best OC he can find and Whip would get moved to analyst if he wanted to stay around. The only way Whip would stay on as OC is if Joseph couldn't find a quality OC to take his place. If NU will open up the checkbook then I dont see that being a problem

The checkbook was opened for Whip and he's OC and QB coach with excellent credentials.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
58 minutes ago, Gorillahawk said:

We must disagree on Whip being a good OC/QB coach. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1