Indiana Play-by-Play

Mavric

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This was easily the worst play of the game for us. Barnhart should have taken the inside guy and should have known Grant was there to pick up the outside. He was never going to get to the outside guy. 

Instead of having a right tackle, we may be better off having a two back set with Rhamir as pass pro.  Only 50% kidding.  I hate to bag on the kid but on pass plays, 54 is a liability.  

2 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Instead of having a right tackle, we may be better off having a two back set with Rhamir as pass pro.  Only 50% kidding.  I hate to bag on the kid but on pass plays, 54 is a liability.  

The frustrating thing is, he's looking right at 4 as he starts coming towards the line to blitz.  He then leaves him and tries to block 20 that he has no chance to get to.  Grant is in good position to block 20, but by the time he realizes 4 is coming through the line, it's too late to adjust.  This isn't physical talent.  It's a total mental breakdown of one player.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The frustrating thing is, he's looking right at 4 as he starts coming towards the line to blitz.  He then leaves him and tries to block 20 that he has no chance to get to.  Grant is in good position to block 20, but by the time he realizes 4 is coming through the line, it's too late to adjust.  This isn't physical talent.  It's a total mental breakdown of one player.  

I partially agree.  He clearly doesn’t know his assignment and that he needs to stick to it.  But he does struggle on the edge, with the physical part too.  Would he be a better guard?

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I partially agree.  He clearly doesn’t know his assignment and that he needs to stick to it.  But he does struggle on the edge, with the physical part too.  Would he be a better guard?

There are times where he struggles on the edge and it's frustrating.  But, on this play, he should have had the physical ability to at least slow down 4. He doesn't have that ability to slow down 20.  And, 4 should be his assignment.  That is much more of a mental break down than a physical one.

I don't know enough about line play to know the answer to your question.  However, if he doesn't understand his assignment and make good decisions, he would fail as a guard too.

13 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This was easily the worst play of the game for us. Barnhart should have taken the inside guy and should have known Grant was there to pick up the outside. He was never going to get to the outside guy. 

I'm 1000% for accountability, even for the QB, but this reeked of the Cody Green playbook, and set the entire team up to fail. 

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, sho said:

And if I remember correctly, the general rule is work inside out.  Take the inside guy first since he has shorter distance to get to the QB.  Outside guy takes usually at least a half second more, giving the QB that much more time, plus the RB that much more time to pick up the block.

You are correct. 

1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

I stand corrected.  I guess 77 doesn't have the athletic ability to stop #4 on the other play.

Edit....I stand corrected again.  The other play was 54....not 77.

We have issues.

• Plus1 1
17 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I stand corrected.  I guess 77 doesn't have the athletic ability to stop #4 on the other play.

Edit....I stand corrected again.  The other play was 54....not 77.

We have issues.

This isn't athletic ability. It's mostly technique and play recognition. The first problem is he turns his hips inside, then recognize the blitz too late, now he's out of position, and he stops his feet so he has zero leverage to take on the blitzer. He's f#&%ed...

• Plus1 1