Indiana Play-by-Play

Mavric

Just now, Undone said:

Maybe this is hindsight analysis but I was immediately pissed that on a 1st & 10 we don't go to our workhorse back. I just didn't like that at all. The other thing is that he's got Grant wide open in the flat also.

I get "taking big shots" but this is another one where it could have turned all of the momentum back Indiana's way:

After a turnover is a pretty classic time to take a shot.  I guess I don't really have a problem with that thinking.

"Touchdown to checkdown", as Ron Jaworski loves to say.

I guess I don't have an issue with the play call.  Looking to take the shot was good, although I question how open that particular shot really was.  It was either a terrible decision to throw it in the first place or a terrible throw.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Undone said:

Huge point in the game on this one. They go three wide to see if they can get us at least somewhat spread out to think they're passing and go with the run.

Henrich gets his body in there and Mathis makes the big tackle:

Looks to me like Gifford is really the one that makes the play.

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

After a turnover is a pretty classic time to take a shot.  I guess I don't really have a problem with that thinking.

"Touchdown to checkdown", as Ron Jaworski loves to say.

I guess I don't have an issue with the play call.  Looking to take the shot was good, although I question how open that particular shot really was.  It was either a terrible decision to throw it in the first place or a terrible throw.

Interestingly Joseph put most of the blame on Palmer for not getting over the top of the defender with the route on his Sunday show. But I agree, didn't look open and wasn't a great throw based on where the receiver was. Maybe it was a good throw based on where he should have been, but that doesn't count for much.

• Plus1 1

We got bogged down in like three consecutive drives in the 3rd quarter from offensive penalties. It was a lot like watching us last year.

The defense really hung in there to slow down their momentum until we found the deep bomb to Palmer.

This was then a pretty big play on 3rd & long:

Casey was on the money almost all night on these medium length throws.

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

Interestingly Joseph put most of the blame on Palmer for not getting over the top of the defender with the route on his Sunday show. But I agree, didn't look open and wasn't a great throw based on where the receiver was. Maybe it was a good throw based on where he should have been, but that doesn't count for much.

Thanks!

I guess you can see Palmer run into the DB trying to get underneath him.  And it definitely looks like he'd be better off going over the top.  So that's a fair critisism.

It also doesn't surprise me that Joseph would tend to blame his position group instead of a different one.

• Plus1 2

Grant puts some sauce on his block here and then gets in the guy's face a bit after the Indiana defender tries to fight him off after getting his a** kicked, love it:

I really like that Whipple has this play in his playbook and called it here. Could have gone with Yant, but just fun to watch a Husker QB get a running touchdown to ice a game.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just always feels amazing to watch a Husker O-line create big holes in the 4th quarter. Great run blocking here with some guys playing that really didn't contribute a ton last year:

Ha!  Brewington can barely find a guy to block (then whiffs).

1 hour ago, Undone said:

Maybe this is hindsight analysis but I was immediately pissed that on a 1st & 10 we don't go to our workhorse back. I just didn't like that at all. The other thing is that he's got Grant wide open in the flat also.

I get "taking big shots" but this is another one where it could have turned all of the momentum back Indiana's way:

I don't mind taking the shot, but with out seeing the all 22 that looks like a bl that Casey should have thrown short. Make the defender have to come through the reciever to break it up a d draw the PI.

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Undone said:

Huge point in the game on this one. They go three wide to see if they can get us at least somewhat spread out to think they're passing and go with the run.

Henrich gets his body in there and Mathis makes the big tackle:

This was a huge play in more ways than one. How many times over the years have we seen our opponent pinned inside the 10 only to march all the way down the field and score.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Undone said:

Grant puts some sauce on his block here and then gets in the guy's face a bit after the Indiana defender tries to fight him off after getting his a** kicked, love it:

I really like that Whipple has this play in his playbook and called it here. Could have gone with Yant, but just fun to watch a Husker QB get a running touchdown to ice a game.

Thought that was a holdover from Frost's playbook. Isn't that the same play we watched Marinez score on over and over again the last 4 years?