Indiana Play-by-Play

Mavric

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The frustrating thing is, he's looking right at 4 as he starts coming towards the line to blitz.  He then leaves him and tries to block 20 that he has no chance to get to.  Grant is in good position to block 20, but by the time he realizes 4 is coming through the line, it's too late to adjust.  This isn't physical talent.  It's a total mental breakdown of one player.  

That's not exactly what happened on that play. This was a really good scheme by Indiana, and if we didn't prep for it in practice, a  underclassmen is going to struggle with it everytime.

He wasn't looking at 4, he's watching 92 cross his face because that's who is shading him. After the snap he can't see 4 because he's behind 92 the whole time, that's why he went after 20... I'm not sure what the right answer is because Grant wasn't looking to pickup the corner blitz soon enough either... I mean I know the answer, it's that Grant picks up 20 and the RT finds 4, but even if our RT picks up 4, I think 20 still gets the sack/safety. Just a good play by IU, and we are inexperienced.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, ZRod said:

That's not exactly what happened on that play. This was a really good scheme by Indiana, and if we didn't prep for it in practice, a  underclassmen is going to struggle with it everytime.

He wasn't looking at 4, he's watching 92 cross his face because that's who is shading him. After the snap he can't see 4 because he's behind 92 the whole time, that's why he went after 20... I'm not sure what the right answer is because Grant wasn't looking to pickup the corner blitz soon enough either... I mean I know the answer, it's that Grant picks up 20 and the RT finds 4, but even if our RT picks up 4, I think 20 still gets the sack/safety. Just a good play by IU, and we are inexperienced.

It appears to me that Grant is going towards 20 then gets confused on where 77 is going to go and gets stuck behind him.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It appears to me that Grant is going towards 20 then gets confused on where 77 is going to go and gets stuck behind him.

That's the other part. Guys just need to be decisive and commit to a decision one way or the other. Better to block one guy then nobody. At least if we only have one free rusher maybe Chubba can make him miss.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

About the 11 second mark.  Don't know what the guard was doing.  It's a pass play and he runs down field.  It would have been a penalty if he would have passed the ball.

It's supposed to be a tunnel screen with the WR coming across behind the other WR and a couple of linemen releasing.

But I would think the WR is supposed to stay behind the line, which he doesn't really do.

30 minutes ago, Mavric said:

It's supposed to be a tunnel screen with the WR coming across behind the other WR and a couple of linemen releasing.

But I would think the WR is supposed to stay behind the line, which he doesn't really do.

I would also think the lineman would want to at least put a hand on Robinson, not just let him go flying past. Holy s#!t lol

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

About the 11 second mark.  Don't know what the guard was doing.  It's a pass play and he runs down field.  It would have been a penalty if he would have passed the ball.

I didn't realize live how good of a job Mathis was doing pressuring the QB, but these clips show it well. 

• Plus1 2

On 10/2/2022 at 7:44 PM, BigRedBuster said:

Yes. 

That’s actually not a hard rule in most offenses.   It all depends on the line call.  Many times the RB is assigned the inside blitzed in pass coverage and if no one comes, he helps on the outside or a break free rusher.

Someone missed an assignment for sure, we just don’t know who it was.  And the tackle absolutely could have blocked the edge rusher if he star lt the play with cement feet.   

• Plus1 1

Video starts at correct time. This is a great play - spread them out with four guys wide.

All three receivers except Palmer go deeper, Palmer comes back underneath. Indiana's one linebacker that stays home has to choose between manning up on Grant as he sneaks into the flat, or staying home over the middle.

He goes out to guard Grant and it's an easy route by Palmer to pick up the first. But the big thing is the good pass protection:

• Plus1 1

Another solid 3rd down play. This time we keep Vokolek on the line as well as keep Grant home to block. It's another design to hit the underneath route.

Alante's got wheels, and Thompson is so patient to wait for him to cross past the LB for the easy throw. And again, everybody blocks their guy and the protection is great:

• Plus1 1

Maybe this is hindsight analysis but I was immediately pissed that on a 1st & 10 we don't go to our workhorse back. I just didn't like that at all. The other thing is that he's got Grant wide open in the flat also.

I get "taking big shots" but this is another one where it could have turned all of the momentum back Indiana's way: