2022 Coaching Carousel

28 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

I wonder why we never tried to get Luke Fickell ourselves? I mean it always seems like Wisconsin is always one step ahead of Nebraska. Barry Alvarez was the best thing to happen to Wisconsin bc he literally showed them our blueprint for success. Pound the rock and play a physical defense. If they get Luke, then I will be more upset with the fact that we didn't try ourselves or if we did and he saw the writing on the wall and said nope this place is a dumpster fire not for me but who knows :dunno

Since we don't know, don't worry about it. 

Even before he was fired at Carolina, Matt Rhule was at the big boy table of potential college football coaches. It's not like Nebraska settled; we paid for and got a coach in the upper tier of available coaches. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, Guy Chamberlin said:

Since we don't know, don't worry about it. 

Even before he was fired at Carolina, Matt Rhule was at the big boy table of potential college football coaches. It's not like Nebraska settled; we paid for and got a coach in the upper tier of available coaches. 

True just feel like Wisconsin copy's alot of the things we do that's all.

1 hour ago, GSG said:

What is interesting is that, prior to this season, Paul Chryst had 9 or 10 win seasons in 5 of his 6 prior seasons (not counting the Covid year) including an 11 and 13 win season. Fickell is 9-3 this year witb some prior 11 win seasons at Cincy. I think Fickell is a great coach but I am not sure it will be a significant upgrade from Chryst who did well at Wisconsin all years except the start of this season. 

Doesn’t really matter. With OSU running up against Michigan every year and now Riley and USC coming to town, Nebraska and Wisconsin BOTH owe it to the conference to get their s#!t together and start fielding some legitimately competitive teams in this side of the division. 

Bring in Fickel imo. Our guy better be ready to go toe to toe with the best. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2

Sam McKewon made a really good point on Twitter, in that this move to get Fickell moves Wisconsin away from the "House of Barry (Alvarez)".  Barry's fingerprints had been on Wisconsin's football program for 30 years, and this move by their newish AD signals a move away from that.  This could end up being great for the new AD and Wisconsin, but it could backfire if Fickell struggles at all.  Alvarez built Wisconsin football, and then even after he retired, most people thought he was still the quasi-head coach at Wisconsin, while being the AD.  Everything had to be done the "Alvarez way", and coaches had to align with it.  Gary Andersen was the one coach who didn't want to be Barry's puppet left Madison after one season.