2022 Coaching Carousel

5 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With Fickell only making in the $6M area at Wisconsin, makes me think that he showed no interest in Nebraska at all, and Trev made sure to pony up what it took to get Rhule.

With Fickell willing to move to Wisconsin for only 6 million, it makes me think Nebraska never approached him with 8. Trev has Rhule in his sights 2 weeks before Carolina cut him loose, I think. 

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

With Fickell only making in the $6M area at Wisconsin, makes me think that he showed no interest in Nebraska at all, and Trev made sure to pony up what it took to get Rhule.

That's what I'm confused about? Why wouldn't he show interest in Nebraska if he was going to get more money??? Like if Nebraska came to him and said we will give you 8 million to be our coach nope no thanks. Next school comes along we will give you 6 million oh I love that offer I will take it. That doesn't make sense to me. Aren't you supposed to maximized your own value or that's not what is suppose to happen???

3 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Bc they thought Rhule may be a better coach or culture fit then Luke Fickell. I can't see any other reasons then that.

Yep. And if Fickell have off a vibe that he was at all disinterested, you gotta let him go. I think you have to court the guy that wants to fix the project/problem and not just throw more money at a guy who’s heart isn’t in it. 

There were a small handful of candidates that most (knowledgeable) Husker fans could live with. There were a lot more that felt either too risky or too safe. Five weeks ago a lot of folks would have considered Lance Leipold a steal. A lot of folks also thought our poor recruiting dumpster fire of a program wouldn't attract any top coach, which is why we should just hand the keys to Mickey. 

Who knows how any of this will turn out, but Trev Albert's job is to make Nebraska football relevant again, and this hire did the job. 

Do yourself a favor and take a few weeks off from second-guessing. The board will still be here. 

• Plus1 4
  • TBH 2
18 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

That's what I'm confused about? Why wouldn't he show interest in Nebraska if he was going to get more money??? Like if Nebraska came to him and said we will give you 8 million to be our coach nope no thanks. Next school comes along we will give you 6 million oh I love that offer I will take it. That doesn't make sense to me. Aren't you supposed to maximized your own value or that's not what is suppose to happen???

Wisconsin is a continuation job. Keep going with what's been built. Nebraska is a total rebuild. Maybe he didn't want to put in the work.

• TBH 2

39 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

That's entirely possible.  But from the sounds of it our original offer to Rhule was noticeably less that what the contract ended up being for.  So the original offers might have ended up being the same.  And perhaps we learned that those original offers were not enough.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

One would think that but they might be in a rebuild as well just not a all the way rebuild like us.

Wisconsin is currently a Tier B program in the Big Ten - Ohio State, Michigan, Penn State, and USC will be the Tier A programs - and the Wisconsin AD wants to get up into that Tier A.  That's why he fired Paul Chryst, and didn't name Leohnard the full-time coach.  The Wisconsin AD figured both of those guys have ceilings, so he took a chance on Fickell to potentiall boost Wisconsin into the Tier A group.

• Plus1 1