*** 2022 Game 6 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Rutgers ***

Call Your Shot!  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Predict the outcome of Game 6!

• Nebraska Wins & Covers (-3)
    • Nebraska wins but doesn't cover
    • BUTTGERS

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/07/2022 at 10:00 PM

It’s never been a talent issue. It’s been a coaching/morale issue. I believe we start to see that differential to our benefit in the coming games. Mickey has got these players believing in themselves again and it’s going to show. Nebraska by 14.

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 5

Whipple sometimes seems to grudgingly call runs and his predictable passing has about gotten our QB killed. 
I think it depends on which Whipple shows up and if he knows more run plays than ‘run up the middle into lineman’s a$$’. You’d think after 50 years of coaching he could call it like TCU does.

• Plus1 1
13 hours ago, Hayseed said:

Whipple sometimes seems to grudgingly call runs and his predictable passing has about gotten our QB killed. 
I think it depends on which Whipple shows up and if he knows more run plays than ‘run up the middle into lineman’s a$$’. You’d think after 50 years of coaching he could call it like TCU does.

Casey's want to hold on to the ball to long gets him killed.  I'm still trying to figure out where the offensive play calling on the 1st drive of every game goes and the drive. 

The offense is so wide open and unstoppable but then it goes into the barrel. 

• Plus1 2

I’m predicting 35 - 17 Huskers.  I just feel we are better on both sides on the ball.  It could be a bit ugly (which is a trademark of Frost teams and we are still a Frost assembled bunch) at times but my gut says we take a couple more steps forward.  

I expect fewer penalties and more aggressive play, especially in offense.  We might score more than 35.  I’m feeling like Whipple may have cracked the whip to fire up the offense to match the fire of the defense.  

Of course, miscues and mishaps are to be expected as nothing can be completely fixed in a couple short weeks of practice.  Hopefully we get a few injured guys back and we play more of the two deep interchanges.   Fresh. Energetic. Happy.  Experience is vital in future weeks if more wins are to be found.  

17 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I made the same assessment you're making after the first couple games, but I've changed my mind.

As far as the Indiana game goes, check out the box score stats:

image.png.b67f5d41f00797e8e63ff8d15b370d43.png

Taking out all 8 instances counted as QB runs, that's 40 runs called to our RB's to 27 pass plays. That's a 59% run/pass ratio and I think that's pretty run-heavy. And if you do count the QB runs it's really run heavy.

Whipple seems to be understanding that Anthony Grant is really the heart of the offense and he's feeding him the ball a lot. Honestly I love all of the moving parts & weapons we've got and I think Whipple is starting to really click.

Just don't pull your starting QB deep in your own territory again.  ;)  

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
  • TBH 1

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is that Joseph & Busch decide to play pretty aggressively on defense. I don't really think there's any reason not to; it doesn't seem like Rutgers has a QB that's going to pick us apart if we're playing tighter coverage.

Just make sure our ILB's communicate to have one guy staying home over the middle. That's one of the biggest places where we just looked stupid against Georgia Southern.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
9 minutes ago, Undone said:

The biggest thing I'm hoping for is that Joseph & Busch decide to play pretty aggressively on defense. I don't really think there's any reason not to; it doesn't seem like Rutgers has a QB that's going to pick us apart if we're playing tighter coverage.

Just make sure our ILB's communicate to have one guy staying home over the middle. That's one of the biggest places where we just looked stupid against Georgia Southern.

Agree.  If we are going to get beat, I want to get beat being aggressive on defense.  We've seen how playing cautious doesn't work.

ILB communication really improved having Riemers back in the game.

• Plus1 2
7 hours ago, Undone said:

I made the same assessment you're making after the first couple games, but I've changed my mind.

As far as the Indiana game goes, check out the box score stats:

image.png.b67f5d41f00797e8e63ff8d15b370d43.png

Taking out all 8 instances counted as QB runs, that's 40 runs called to our RB's to 27 pass plays. That's a 59% run/pass ratio and I think that's pretty run-heavy. And if you do count the QB runs it's really run heavy.

Whipple seems to be understanding that Anthony Grant is really the heart of the offense and he's feeding him the ball a lot. Honestly I love all of the moving parts & weapons we've got and I think Whipple is starting to really click.

Just don't pull your starting QB deep in your own territory again.  ;)  

The second and third quarter were a mess. Our last scoring drive looked like TCU. Whipple is better than what he’s shown. Why is that? Are we saving our best plays for Rutgers?

Pulling Thompson was a good move. He was taking sacks and strangely in his senior year he still doesn’t know how to throw it away. What you should be asking is why our celebrity backup QB runs into the end zone and fumbles when he’s under pressure exactly like the FSU fans said he would. Can Whipple the quarterback whisperer fix him? He’s potentially our starter at any time.

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

Casey's want to hold on to the ball to long gets him killed.  I'm still trying to figure out where the offensive play calling on the 1st drive of every game goes and the drive. 

Seems to me half the game Whipple is running up the middle or throwing Hail Marys. I don’t think that will beat good teams. It made us look stupid against Oklahoma. I think he’s a better play caller than that with his 57 years experience.

Casey wants to make a play but Whipple is giving him predictable plays with everyone covered and no good outlet.

11 hours ago, BaytownHusker said:

I don't think it's play calling in general, but they script the first drive. All of Frost's teams did it well. Then we would get off track.  Given a week of practice and review, they execute the first 10 plays great, but finding a rhythm after that when the other team adjusts seems elusive to us.

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

The second and third quarter were a mess. Our last scoring drive looked like TCU. Whipple is better than what he’s shown. Why is that? Are we saving our best plays for Rutgers?

Pulling Thompson was a good move. He was taking sacks and strangely in his senior year he still doesn’t know how to throw it away. What you should be asking is why our celebrity backup QB runs into the end zone and fumbles when he’s under pressure exactly like the FSU fans said he would. Can Whipple the quarterback whisperer fix him? He’s potentially our starter at any time.

No, it was bad coaching. And that’s counting the play call on 3rd and long also where instead of calling a run by Grant to play it safe you ask the backup (who clearly isn’t ready for the task) to scan the field and throw for the first down when you know the all-house blitz is coming.

The third quarter got pissed away by dumb penalties; that’s the story there.

I gave the stats to show that Whipple wasn’t “begrudgingly calling runs.” He’s not running the option out of the “I” with a fullback out blocking…but he’s definitely feeding our best player (Grant) the ball.

• Plus1 1