SWOT Analysis - Mickey Joseph

First off, I'm not under any delusions:blink: to think that based on the Indiana win that we are anywhere near naming MJ as HC. He may very well get 'disqualified' by how the team performs during the

next few games- even prior to the more difficult Nov schedule. With that said:

I'm sure Trev is doing SWOTs on a number of potential candidates for HC.    Mickey is starting to intrigue me.  I have appreciated his candor, honesty and integrity shown in his interviews and

other comments about the team in its current state.  Could MJ become the permanent HC at Nebraska?  I think it is a possibility if he gets us to a bowl game and shows marked improvement. 

So, what does of SWOT of Mickey look like from your perspective?  ASSUMPTION: MJ and the team finishes the year strong and play in a bowl game.

S - Strengths  - What are MJ's strengths and how is Nebraska strengthened by naming him as coach?

W - Weaknesses -  What are MJ's weaknesses that would have to be overcome?  How does naming him HC weaken Nebraska's position in the overall football world?

O - Opportunity - What opportunities does this open up for Nebraska if MJ is named HC?

T - Threats -  If we name MJ as HC, does that in any way open up outside threats that could hinder our program?

I'll list one for each of the above to get the discussion going:

S- MJ is a great recruiter who is trusted by his players

W - No P5 HC experience

O - As the first African American HC for any sport at Nebraska(:facepalm:) this perhaps opens up new doors for recruits

T -  Missed opportunity to hire an experienced, successful HC with P5 experience 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

57 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

First off, I'm not under any delusions:blink: to think that based on the Indiana win that we are anywhere near naming MJ as HC. He may very well get 'disqualified' by how the team performs during the

next few games- even prior to the more difficult Nov schedule. With that said:

I'm sure Trev is doing SWOTs on a number of potential candidates for HC.    Mickey is starting to intrigue me.  I have appreciated his candor, honesty and integrity shown in his interviews and

other comments about the team in its current state.  Could MJ become the permanent HC at Nebraska?  I think it is a possibility if he gets us to a bowl game and shows marked improvement. 

So, what does of SWOT of Mickey look like from your perspective?  ASSUMPTION: MJ and the team finishes the year strong and play in a bowl game.

S - Strengths  - What are MJ's strengths and how is Nebraska strengthened by naming him as coach?

W - Weaknesses -  What are MJ's weaknesses that would have to be overcome?  How does naming him HC weaken Nebraska's position in the overall football world?

O - Opportunity - What opportunities does this open up for Nebraska if MJ is named HC?

T - Threats -  If we name MJ as HC, does that in any way open up outside threats that could hinder our program?

I'll list one for each of the above to get the discussion going:

W - No P5 HC experience

O - As the first African American HC for any sport at Nebraska(:facepalm:) this perhaps opens up new doors for recruits

T -  Missed opportunity to hire an experienced, successful HC with P5 experience 

O - to keep the current players since they could all transfer away

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

W - No P5 HC experience

I think you pretty much summed it up.  But, I'll try to add to it.

S- MJ brings energy to the program and if the team shows major improvement over the last 7 games and wins at least 4 of those, he keeps that energy with the players and can build on that.

W - nothing more to add.  That's obviously the risk.

O - The opportunity to keep the best players currently on the team along with whomever he feels is the best coaches.  He's a great recruiter and then can go build from there through the portal.  He can then go out and improve the staff while keeping some continuity within the program.

T - He somehow squeeks out 4+ more wins then shows next year that it was not sustainable by him and able to build on it.  If he has success this year, this is the biggest threat for Trev.  He's really going to have to do a good job evaluating the program at that point and make a wise decision.  

6 minutes ago, TonkaSker said:

T - The task of replacing Mickey with a full-time recruiter of his caliber is a tall task. As a HC he's limited on how much recruiting he can do off-campus.

But, if he has some good recruiters under him, he can be a great closer.

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

O - to keep the current players since they could all transfer away

Good point that I didn't think about.     We have a big investment in all of those portal guys and I'd hate to lose an AJ Allen because of a coach change.

Much of the info for all these discussions is just not available, hearsay, biased, false, etc.  

Trev has more than anyone.  He’s watching closely and has been for a year+.   

I would think in another 3 games, with practices, plenty of conversations and inside looks, references, etc Trev will have a good feel for most of the intangibles re: Mickey, his relationships with fans, players, staff, admin, recruiting connections and Trev.  

Presumably, Trev did a lot of due diligence before each of the new coaches were hired so it’s the little things, we don’t see.  How he relates to individual players in and out of the game settings.   Player morale.  Player buy-in and unity.  Etc.  Outside the locker room etc it’s impossible to assess.  

So far, it seems like the team is really positive in the coaching changes. But, again it’s just 3 weeks.  Another month will give more info.  And I’m sure Trev will want individual coach one on ones to get their sense of things. The ‘losing’ culture and apparent lack of confidence is a toughie.  Is it fair to let Mickey accept that ?   It seems MJ, Whip and Busch get along fairly well.  That is a big factor.  Commonality of messaging is key.  

• Fire 1