*** Official Rutgers Game Thread ***

Mavric

16 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah, but it was 2 50-50 balls that Vedral just threw up. Was Hartzog great, no. It does help that there is some pressure applied by the front 4. 

I don't think those were 50-50 balls.  Hartzog was not even close to having a 50% chance to catch them.

• TBH 1
16 hours ago, HuskerJax said:

But, he still kept playing and closed out the game. That is the point, there needs to be a mental shift away from losing. He’s a freshman, he’s going to make mistakesZ he needs to learn how to win, they all do.

You know what else helps shift away from losing?  Not giving up huge plays.

I have to watch it again, but I don't think Trey Palmer created pass interference on a deep ball (1st quarter action).  I know Palmer likes to make contact with defenders, but I didn't think it was worthy of a PI.  Ball was underthrown, which is okay on a 1-on-1 deep ball...  Trey came back and caught it.  PI flag thrown.

And also, I need to see less of #7 on the field.  He had some tough throws that he couldn't pull in.  But he is on schollie, and Brodie Belt (or the next man up) could make those catches.  I am pretty sure there were 4 drops and bobbles from him.  All catchable as a scholarship wide receiver (and starter).

Oliver Martin appeared to misread his direction on a pass play that turned into an INT.

Vokolek bobbled some catchable passes.

I am super happy we won, but there is a lot to clean up still.  

5 minutes ago, admo said:

I have to watch it again, but I don't think Trey Palmer created pass interference on a deep ball (1st quarter action).  I know Palmer likes to make contact with defenders, but I didn't think it was worthy of a PI.  Ball was underthrown, which is okay on a 1-on-1 deep ball...  Trey came back and caught it.  PI flag thrown.

It wasn't exactly vicious but it was a solid stiff-arm that knocked the defender back a step.  It was probably unnecessary as the defender didn't know where the ball way but it was a pretty obvious push-off.

5 minutes ago, admo said:

And also, I need to see less of #7 on the field.  He had some tough throws that he couldn't pull in.  But he is on schollie, and Brodie Belt (or the next man up) could make those catches.  I am pretty sure there were 4 drops and bobbles from him.  All catchable as a scholarship wide receiver (and starter).

He was pretty bad last night.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

You know what else helps shift away from losing?  Not giving up huge plays.

I’d rather have a true freshmen with upside making those mistakes though than the others who were out there.   And he was pretty close on the first one.  Took an extremely accurate pass to be a completion.  Which credit to Rutgers QB, he made a great pass.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Archy1221 said:

I’d rather have a true freshmen with upside making those mistakes though than the others who were out there.   And he was pretty close on the first one.  Took an extremely accurate pass to be a completion.  Which credit to Rutgers QB, he made a great pass.  

I don't necessarily disagree.

But I'm struggling to remember anyone else getting flat burned like that, let alone twice in a half (and I think it might have been three times).

Being pretty close to not giving up a huge play is not much of a consolation.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

It wasn't exactly vicious but it was a solid stiff-arm that knocked the defender back a step.  It was probably unnecessary as the defender didn't know where the ball way but it was a pretty obvious push-off.

He was pretty bad last night.

Ok thanks, I thought it could be PI, but didn't feel like it for sure. 

I agree about 7.  And Casey was off a lot too which doesn't help at all.  

1 minute ago, Mavric said:

I don't necessarily disagree.

But I'm struggling to remember anyone else getting flat burned like that, let alone twice in a half (and I think it might have been three times).

Being pretty close to not giving up a huge play is not much of a consolation.

Mr Hill was quite awful while he was in there.  If not for the penalties he might have had 4 in one game. 

• Plus1 1
Just now, admo said:

Ok thanks, I thought it could be PI, but didn't feel like it for sure. 

I agree about 7.  And Casey was off a lot too which doesn't help at all.  

I didn't think it really was PI watching it live.  I thought there was just some contact as Palmer tried to get back to the ball.  But on the replay it was more obvious.

15 minutes ago, admo said:

I have to watch it again, but I don't think Trey Palmer created pass interference on a deep ball (1st quarter action).  I know Palmer likes to make contact with defenders, but I didn't think it was worthy of a PI.  Ball was underthrown, which is okay on a 1-on-1 deep ball...  Trey came back and caught it.  PI flag thrown

It was a ticky tack penalty that doesn’t get called much.   I’ve seen at least 5 plays today that have been worse.  Same can be said for the OPI on the Rutgers WR.  Volkelek was the only OPI that game that is normally called. 

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

I didn't think it really was PI watching it live.  I thought there was just some contact as Palmer tried to get back to the ball.  But on the replay it was more obvious.

Same, although I didn't catch the replay too well.  I ran inside with a hot plate of Carne Asada tacos and missed it.  My bad!

1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

It was a ticky tack penalty that doesn’t get called much.   I’ve seen at least 5 plays today that have been worse.  Same can be said for the OPI on the Rutgers WR.  Volkelek was the only OPI that game that is normally called. 

Yeah, and we all know corners and defensive ends sell out on potential penalty plays.  DE's love to get leverage on OTs and throw up their arms like they are being held and murdered.... and corners never do anything wrong in their minds lol.  A lot of acting in football.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

All good.

Except for the part where you didn't bring me a taco. :lol:

Next time homie!!! :w00t

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I'm not sure I've seen this before.

And these guys doing this to their small remaining student section while a thousand  Husker fans are in the opposite end zone in the empty stadium. Only players that came over were Jarrett Synek and Tanner Anthony. 

And these guys doing this to their small remaining student section while a thousand  Husker fans are in the opposite end zone in the empty stadium. Only players that came over were Jarrett Synek and Tanner Anthony. 

And these guys doing this to their small remaining student section while a thousand  Husker fans are in the opposite end zone (just look in the distance) in the empty stadium. Only players that came over were Jarrett Synek and Tanner Anthony. 

And these guys doing this to their small remaining student section while a thousand  Husker fans are in the opposite end zone (just look in the distance) in the empty stadium. Only players that came over were Jarrett Synek and Tanner Anthony. 

• Plus1 1