1st in the Big 10 West

On 10/23/2022 at 1:18 AM, deedsker said:

Illinois has been through the most to get to a division win with 2 losses. Stuff happens, Purdue has the best shot as division winner with 3 losses, if they can get past Illinois.

Purdue @ Illinois is the most impactful to the division. 

-Still is. If Illinois wins, it's basically over.

Illinois (W) @ Nebraska play important parts in tiebreakers, placing.

-Was important. 

Iowa (W) @ Purdue is the most likely game for Purdue to get to 3 or 4 losses.

-Makes for the most chaos. This squarely introduces the win out, Purdue over Illinois, and get the divisional crown for everybody but Nebraska and Northwestern.

Purdue @ Indiana is the last rivalry game to get Purdue into the muck of a weird 5-4 tiebreak system that is a mess.

-Still important, but we have chosen the chaos route

Illinois @ Michigan is a game that if Illinois wins breaks all chances of someone outside of Illinois, Purdue, or Nebraska winning the division.

-This is still considered a loss. If Illinois somehow gets this one, they still get the division.

Was pretty good on my assessment. Games that changed the division that I missed:

Michigan State (W) @ Illinois

-Surprise upset that makes the 3 loss route almost certain.

New adds to the list above since if we end at 3 losses, Wisconsin winning out gets the division these would all slot between Iowa/Purdue and Purdue/Indiana:

Wisconsin @ Iowa is a coin toss. This is why Wisconsin doesn't have power ranking odds to win the division.

Minnesota @ Wisconsin is more favorited toward Wisconsin. 

Wisconsin @ Nebraska is a likely layup for Wisconsin, but a loss would still ruin them.

• Plus1 1

If Illinois wins out they win the div. but they play Mich so not too likely. If Iowa wins out against Minn & NU, + Ill. loses a game, Iowa wins. If Ill & Iowa both lose a game & Purdue wins out they win. If Minn. wins out against Iowa & Wis., + Ill., Iowa & Purdue lose a game Minn wins. I think. Pretty wild finish. Might not be the strongest div. but at least it is interesting.

The west is a pretty strong division with all but  the two ‘NUs being pretty solid teams.  Most will likely win their bowl games. 

Of course, it appears OSU, MI and PSU are the class of the east.  They actually may be the top three in the Big Ten.  

It will be interesting to watch.  The team has about 4 or 5 practices left and 2 games.  At some point, we will learn our new HC.  Idk who it is but I’m pretty sure the list is whittled down to just about 3 or so and it may be done and over weeks ago.  

I am worried about Husker Nation being seriously angry and divided by the choice, whomever it may be.   Despite the losses piling up and yesterday’s embarrassing beat down, many are still pulling for MJ.   I am afraid some of the support for Mickey is actually sympathy and appreciation for even being willing to take the job and try so hard.  His resume is mostly three things: former Husker player, renown recruiter, and he has a open, honest and frank way of speaking and sideline demeanor.  He gets a load of credit for some WRs on LSU’s team(s) for a couple seasons.  

Husker fans are very skeptical of HC hires and rightfully so.  The past 25 years has been a nightmare string of hires and fires in which the new ‘mr right’ HC is announced with almost no input from fans, all of whom think they have all the right answers to fix things. Lol.  Frost of course was actually chosen by the fans and no other candidates were really considered.    

Fans mostly wanted Bo because they were familiar, he seemingly helped Frank rebound a bit, after 2002 debacle.  

But the fans ought NOT be choosing HCs based on a recent splash of success.  Fans can’t be objective and reasonable in the midst of what has been the worst period in Husker Fb history in 60 years!   The Frost ‘marriage’ was a terrible heartbreak for 80% of Husker Nation.  The refusal to see the need for the divorce sooner is similar to the abused spouse or some form of attachment disorder. 

Before fans get too reattached to the first one that comes along, everyone needs to let the AD do his job.  He has the inside info.  He’s hired to do this. He hired ‘experts’ to conduct a discrete, nationwide search.  He has Univ officials offering critical input. It’s a huge decision. Trev is not disinterested but he appears to be able to keep a good perspective and be rational.  

3 hours ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

The west is a pretty strong division with all but  the two ‘NUs being pretty solid teams.  Most will likely win their bowl games. 

Of course, it appears OSU, MI and PSU are the class of the east.  They actually may be the top three in the Big Ten.  

It will be interesting to watch.  The team has about 4 or 5 practices left and 2 games.  At some point, we will learn our new HC.  Idk who it is but I’m pretty sure the list is whittled down to just about 3 or so and it may be done and over weeks ago.  

I am worried about Husker Nation being seriously angry and divided by the choice, whomever it may be.   Despite the losses piling up and yesterday’s embarrassing beat down, many are still pulling for MJ.   I am afraid some of the support for Mickey is actually sympathy and appreciation for even being willing to take the job and try so hard.  His resume is mostly three things: former Husker player, renown recruiter, and he has a open, honest and frank way of speaking and sideline demeanor.  He gets a load of credit for some WRs on LSU’s team(s) for a couple seasons.  

Husker fans are very skeptical of HC hires and rightfully so.  The past 25 years has been a nightmare string of hires and fires in which the new ‘mr right’ HC is announced with almost no input from fans, all of whom think they have all the right answers to fix things. Lol.  Frost of course was actually chosen by the fans and no other candidates were really considered.    

Fans mostly wanted Bo because they were familiar, he seemingly helped Frank rebound a bit, after 2002 debacle.  

But the fans ought NOT be choosing HCs based on a recent splash of success.  Fans can’t be objective and reasonable in the midst of what has been the worst period in Husker Fb history in 60 years!   The Frost ‘marriage’ was a terrible heartbreak for 80% of Husker Nation.  The refusal to see the need for the divorce sooner is similar to the abused spouse or some form of attachment disorder. 

Before fans get too reattached to the first one that comes along, everyone needs to let the AD do his job.  He has the inside info.  He’s hired to do this. He hired ‘experts’ to conduct a discrete, nationwide search.  He has Univ officials offering critical input. It’s a huge decision. Trev is not disinterested but he appears to be able to keep a good perspective and be rational.  

• Plus1 2

I think that Mickey Joseph could get the job done with HIS players, HIS coaching staff, and HIS playbook. He has been hobbled this year with all 3 against him. He took a hell of a career risk in accepting the interim job, but did so for the love of the school. Long term, he could be the answer. Yes, I know the same could be said for Frost, but MJ is eons beyond Frost when it comes to work ethic and overall ethics. He is also one of the best recruiters around, and Neb needs that right now. The downside may be that not hiring him you may lose him, and that would be a shame. That said, I am sure that a big enough check could keep him around. Hiring Matt Ruhl would be a disappointment and the program would be in for a rough time. He just not have the mojo.  

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

I think that Mickey Joseph could get the job done with HIS players, HIS coaching staff, and HIS playbook. He has been hobbled this year with all 3 against him. He took a hell of a career risk in accepting the interim job, but did so for the love of the school. Long term, he could be the answer. Yes, I know the same could be said for Frost, but MJ is eons beyond Frost when it comes to work ethic and overall ethics. He is also one of the best recruiters around, and Neb needs that right now. The downside may be that not hiring him you may lose him, and that would be a shame. That said, I am sure that a big enough check could keep him around. Hiring Matt Ruhl would be a disappointment and the program would be in for a rough time. He just not have the mojo.  

Dont you have your own misery to contend with.

28 minutes ago, Stone Cold said:

Dont you have your own misery to contend with.

Yes, we do, but checking in on yours makes ours look all better! Through the rough offenses of the past couple of years I cannot recall how many times I have heard "but at least we are not Nebraska".  Frankly, I really hope that you climb out of the dumpster fire and MJ seems to be the best guy to do it. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
12 minutes ago, CyHawk said:

Yes, we do, but checking in on yours makes ours look all better! Through the rough offenses of the past couple of years I cannot recall how many times I have heard "but at least we are not Nebraska".  Frankly, I really hope that you climb out of the dumpster fire and MJ seems to be the best guy to do it. 

There is no way on earth you mean that.

It might be a big stretch for a small thinker like Stone Cold (even though you said so),  but a strong Nebraska would be good for the conference, and a strong Big 10 is good for every school in the conference. Having a "patsy" in the conference does no team any good in the big picture. Sometimes a guy has to think beyond just themselves.

1 hour ago, CyHawk said:

It might be a big stretch for a small thinker like Stone Cold (even though you said so),  but a strong Nebraska would be good for the conference, and a strong Big 10 is good for every school in the conference. Having a "patsy" in the conference does no team any good in the big picture. Sometimes a guy has to think beyond just themselves.

So if Minnesota drug you to the woodshed every year, you would be fine with that.

On 11/7/2022 at 9:47 AM, deedsker said:

Illinois has been through the most to get to a division win with 2 losses. Stuff happens, Purdue has the best shot as division winner with 3 losses, if they can get past Illinois.

Purdue (W) @ Illinois is the most impactful to the division. 

-Purdue keeps the choas alive

Illinois (W) @ Nebraska play important parts in tiebreakers, placing.

-Was important. 

Iowa (W) @ Purdue is the most likely game for Purdue to get to 3 or 4 losses.

-Makes for the most chaos. This squarely introduces the win out, Purdue over Illinois, and get the divisional crown for everybody but Nebraska and Northwestern.

Purdue @ Indiana is the last rivalry game to get Purdue into the muck of a weird 5-4 tiebreak system that is a mess.

-If they win, 3-loss is the division champ. Need Iowa to lose to get the division.

Illinois @ Michigan (W)

-Michigan won, but not in the fashion we would have expected.

Was pretty good on my assessment. Games that changed the division that I missed:

Michigan State (W) @ Illinois

-Surprise upset that makes the 3 loss certain.

New adds to the list above since if we end at 3 losses, Wisconsin winning out gets the division these would all slot between Iowa/Purdue and Purdue/Indiana:

Wisconsin @ Iowa (W)

-Wisconsin has now been eliminated.

Minnesota @ Wisconsin is more favorited toward Wisconsin. 

-Doesn't matter because Wisconsin lost to Iowa.

Wisconsin (W) @ Nebraska 

So we went the bat s#!t crazy route...

Iowa beat Northwestern, @ Purdue, Wisconsin, and @ Minnesota in a row to remain at 3 losses which eliminated Wisconsin and Minnesota. With Purdue beating Illinois at the top, it opened the door for Iowa to have the tie-breaker on Purdue.

Nebraska @ Iowa 

-For the division for Iowa.

Illinois @ Northwestern

-If both Iowa and Purdue lose, a Illinois Win gets them the division.

If Iowa, Purdue, and Illinois lose, Iowa holds Tiebreakers over Purdue and Wisconsin/Minnesota winner with head to head tiebreaker (2-0). A Wisconsin win would make them 2nd in the division with Purdue 3rd and a Minnesota win would make Purdue 2nd and Minnesota 3rd.