What did we learn: Rutgers

2 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I’m guessing Smothers is red shirting this year and then head to the portal? 

No, but I would take Smothers as the backup to Casey over Purdy.  Without thinking or blinking.

I think you are able to change up the offense a bit, if Logan comes in, with the run game threat.  And managing the offense. 

It is painfully obvious to me that Chubba is a year or 2 away from getting the keys to the offense.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
19 minutes ago, admo said:

No, but I would take Smothers as the backup to Casey over Purdy.  Without thinking or blinking.

I think you are able to change up the offense a bit, if Logan comes in, with the run game threat.  And managing the offense. 

It is painfully obvious to me that Chubba is a year or 2 away from getting the keys to the offense.

Purdy has been thrusted into some stupid situations so it’s tough to see his ability.  But we know that Smothers can do good things and be trustworthy. So why Purdy over Smothers?  Must be something going on in the background. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

Purdy has been thrusted into some stupid situations so it’s tough to see his ability.  But we know that Smothers can do good things and be trustworthy. So why Purdy over Smothers?  Must be something going on in the background. 

True.  If the OC wants to keep running the same offense with the backup, I guess you go with Purdy?  But if the OC can see that the offense can be more efficient by changing up the strategy, you go with Smothers (more run game, some option, some QB draws).  Therefor, I think Purdy comes in because he throws well in practices.  If it were me, and my starter was out, I'd bring in Smothers and switch to a survival mode, which is a run type of game.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

True.  If the OC wants to keep running the same offense with the backup, I guess you go with Purdy?  But if the OC can see that the offense can be more efficient by changing up the strategy, you go with Smothers (more run game, some option, some QB draws).  Therefor, I think Purdy comes in because he throws well in practices.  If it were me, and my starter was out, I'd bring in Smothers and switch to a survival mode, which is a run type of game.  

Sounds like there's some disagreement with that on the staff.  Whipple seems to like Purdy better and thinks he can call the same game with him in. But word is Joseph prefers Smothers.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like there's some disagreement with that on the staff.  Whipple seems to like Purdy better and thinks he can call the same game with him in. But word is Joseph prefers Smothers.

I see that with my own eyes.  Without even knowing it.  And that stinks.

• Plus1 1

Honestly, not understanding the overall negativity towards Whipple...yeah, definetly some play calls that you wonder about....but at end of the day an offense with a s#!tty OL is going to have these days and we made enough adjustments to make it work. Not saying the guy is it for our OC, but it wasn't like he was head in the sand and didn't try to adjust...shallow routes was a great example of him saying, "ok, let's take that for now"

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1