What did we learn: Rutgers

5 hours ago, krc1995 said:

Purdy has been thrusted into some stupid situations so it’s tough to see his ability.  But we know that Smothers can do good things and be trustworthy. So why Purdy over Smothers?  Must be something going on in the background. 

Probably because they all know that he is leaving at the end of the year. Portal bound. Had no shot with Whipple. Purdy was Whipple’s project and he will ride with him over Smothers

13 minutes ago, UniversalMartin said:

Honestly, not understanding the overall negativity towards Whipple...yeah, definetly some play calls that you wonder about....but at end of the day an offense with a s#!tty OL is going to have these days and we made enough adjustments to make it work. Not saying the guy is it for our OC, but it wasn't like he was head in the sand and didn't try to adjust...shallow routes was a great example of him saying, "ok, let's take that for now"

Maybe we're trying to encourage him to not be s#!tty anymore. We're trying like crazy but it doesn't seem to be working. This first half goose egg should've been an eye opener for fans, not bring out apologists. Raiola's brother is getting a pass too. Can we get Stai out of that office and down to the field?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

Maybe we're trying to encourage him to not be s#!tty anymore. We're trying like crazy but it doesn't seem to be working. This first half goose egg should've been an eye opener for fans, not bring out apologists. Raiola's brother is getting a pass too. Can we get Stai out of that office and down to the field?

Not being an apologist...just saying that with all the s#!t we have been through, an interim OC for the last 3 games, who is actually making some adjustments in game, and ultimately helps the team win games should not be a "let's find faults NOW!!!" focus. If he is gone next year, which is more likely than not, than great...but the team is winning (for now) at a pace that is unheard of relative to the past couple years.And I for one am just playing with house money right now as a fan.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, UniversalMartin said:

Not being an apologist...just saying that with all the s#!t we have been through, an interim OC for the last 3 games, who is actually making some adjustments in game, and ultimately helps the team win games should not be a "let's find faults NOW!!!" focus. If he is gone next year, which is more likely than not, than great...but the team is winning (for now) at a pace that is unheard of relative to the past couple years.And I for one am just playing with house money right now as a fan.

I know what you're saying, agreed.  

I liked how Mickey responded to the Nebraska media about the play calling.  He basically said "Whip been around a long time, knew he would work through it, I'm not going to jump in and tell him what to do"

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, admo said:

I know what you're saying, agreed.  

I liked how Mickey responded to the Nebraska media about the play calling.  He basically said "Whip been around a long time, knew he would work through it, I'm not going to jump in and tell him what to do"

Hadn't seen that quote. It's perfect. That's the true sign of "let him do what he was hired for" culture...and more importantly a HC that is not trying to make this opportunity about him specifically, although he wants to make his mark for sure, but more about us (coaches) and trusting them to "work through it". That's a coach.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
On 10/7/2022 at 10:03 PM, lo country said:

Team showed fight.  Haven't seen that in years.

lol what

2 hours ago, UniversalMartin said:

Whipple is not an interim OC.

10 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

lol what

Whipple is not an interim OC.

We were 5-21 in one score games under Frost.  All I have witnessed under Frost was a team that collapses.  Dude sold us a bill of goods.

Nebraska took advantage of breaks. Joseph managed the clock well in the final minutes, important for a rookie head coach, and the Huskers made opportunistic plays. They didn’t wilt. They got their first win when trailing at halftime since 2020 (at Rutgers), their first since 2019 (at Illinois) when down to start the fourth quarter, and they’ve won back-to-back games in Big Ten play for the first time since 2018 against the Illini and Michigan State.

https://theathletic.com/3670246/2022/10/08/nebraska-football-win-rutgers-mickey-joseph/

• Plus1 2
On 10/7/2022 at 10:05 PM, cheekygeek said:

Simply amazing.

Makes me wonder what would happen if Mickey had years to build something instead of taking over a huge clusterf#&% midseason.

It's kind of funny than in one month with only two opportunities Mickey has more wins against conference opponents than Frost had during his entire fourth season.

• Plus1 1