What did we learn: Rutgers

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

What I learned from this game is that Nebraska isnt good nor bad just average.  Also I learned to take one game at a time. I don't have any expectations.

That’s where I am. It’s fun to see the guys celebrating in the locker room and on the field.

My husband is a director for a national baseball organization-head quartered in California. They have a hype man that manages their social media presence . He posted during the Indiana game about what real fans look like- they look like Nebraska fans who are acting like their are playing for a national championship. That’s pretty awesome-and true.  Just have fun.  This is suppose to be fun-right?

But I also have eyes and know that we’re not going to win out.   But I’m still going to party like it’s 1995! 

• Fire 3

59 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

That’s where I am. It’s fun to see the guys celebrating in the locker room and on the field.

My husband is a director for a national baseball organization-head quartered in California. They have a hype man that manages their social media presence . He posted during the Indiana game about what real fans look like- they look like Nebraska fans who are acting like their are playing for a national championship. That’s pretty awesome-and true.  Just have fun.  This is suppose to be fun-right?

But I also have eyes and know that we’re not going to win out.   But I’m still going to party like it’s 1995! 

I'm going to be frustrated during the game, but I'm going to enjoy the small things when they happen, the good plays even if we're down multiple scores. I'm at the point in my life where I don't care too get negative about things.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1

I learned from watching Kansas beat Iowa State 14-11 last week, and Kansas State beat Iowa State 10-9 yesterday, that teams with supposedly desirable head coaches can put together games just as spastic and ugly and Nebraska's 14-13 win yesterday. 

Also, if you think the coach you want would never have called the plays Whipple called yesterday, you're wrong. They would and they did, just for a different team that's better all around. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I learned from watching Kansas beat Iowa State 14-11 last week, and Kansas State beat Iowa State 10-9 yesterday, that teams with supposedly desirable head coaches can put together games just as spastic and ugly and Nebraska's 14-13 win yesterday. 

Also, if you think the coach you want would never have called the plays Whipple called yesterday, you're wrong. They would and they did, just for a different team that's better all around. 

So is whip hoping that the o-line pass pro is not as horrible as they are?  I don’t think they’re going to get any better either. 

27 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So is whip hoping that the o-line pass pro is not as horrible as they are?  I don’t think they’re going to get any better either. 

If the o-line pass protection stays this horrible, we will be stuck with a QB who is completing 65% of his passes for 250 yards a game, an 8.3 ypa average, a wide receiver who was just added to the Biletnikoff Awards list and our first 1,000 yard rusher in five years. 

If the OL can get a little better -- maybe develop one solid replacement over the rest of the season -- it could all work a little better. 

• Fire 2

Yup, the limiting factor in the offense is O line play and keeping CT healthy enough to play.  I’m afraid the coaches have little faith in Chubba at this point but who knows for sure. 

Opponents upcoming will present new and different challenges and matchups.  We can hope that the line gets a couple games vs defenders they can hold up a little better.  If we could get 4 ypc out of Grant instead of 2-3, we can sustain more TD drives.  Need 35 points to win most games down the stretch.  

Half the season is over. Seems like it’s going fast, despite the struggles.  Overall, I see slow incremental improvement.  Still getting the ugly penalties but the team responds to adverse plays with more fierce determination. That’s the single biggest change from prior teams. There is less sense of let down and a mental resignation.  They are resisting the ‘loser’ mindset.   Hopefully they can avoid that setting in again. 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

He started doing quick options (shallow drags) with level routes to combo that...you don't stop running plays (know your not remotely saying that, little hyperbole on my part) if your OL sucks. 

If a team knows you won't run routes deeper than 5 yards and a 3 step drop, your screwed (run and pass)

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
4 hours ago, Red Five said:

We’ve been on the other end of these, so I guess it’s good to finally get “lucky”

I don’t think it was luck at all. Our defense was outstanding again. It’s not luck that we played against an injured QB with a hapless backup and an inept OC. They were just worse than us.

12 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Yup, the limiting factor in the offense is O line play and keeping CT healthy enough to play.  I’m afraid the coaches have little faith in Chubba at this point but who knows for sure. 

Opponents upcoming will present new and different challenges and matchups.  We can hope that the line gets a couple games vs defenders they can hold up a little better.  If we could get 4 ypc out of Grant instead of 2-3, we can sustain more TD drives.  Need 35 points to win most games down the stretch.  

Half the season is over. Seems like it’s going fast, despite the struggles.  Overall, I see slow incremental improvement.  Still getting the ugly penalties but the team responds to adverse plays with more fierce determination. That’s the single biggest change from prior teams. There is less sense of let down and a mental resignation.  They are resisting the ‘loser’ mindset.   Hopefully they can avoid that setting in again. 

I think Whipple is much better than what he’s shown. I think he just needs to recognize and react faster, just like Thompson. Let’s pray that Thompson doesn’t get hurt because I don’t know where we go from there.

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, krc1995 said:

But is CT any better?   He looked like a cross between Mahomes and Brees in the first 1/2 of the Northwestern game- then looked like crap. Same, but maybe reverse with Indiana.  Oklahoma was crap all the way around.  

Friday, he looked horrible in the first half. Passes were flaying ducks. They were the worst I’ve ever seen since maybe Armstrong? Then he lays one in there perfectly for Palmer.  He has a lot of hesitation to take 5-8 easy runs yards in front of him.  For a few games, I though CT and Amart would have been interchangeable, but I don’t see CT getting better and I think he will always need to sit a series or two to gather his head.  I’m not sure that backed up on our own 8 the right time for a backup to come in.  Maybe it would be better just to punt than take a safety.  I guess Purdy had some success against Oklahoma, so maybe Whipple was thinking along that line of thought. 

I miss #2am. He could take a lickin and keep on keeping on. I’ve heard how banged up CT is, but I’ve never really seen him get laid out like Amart used to get, so I do question his toughness some. 

There is ALWAYS the question of whether it’s bad play calling or a blind quarterback.

• Plus1 1