What did we learn: Rutgers

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

So is whip hoping that the o-line pass pro is not as horrible as they are?  I don’t think they’re going to get any better either. 

I think he’s going to adjust to it the way he did in the second half by calling a wider variety of plays to keep them from pinning their ears back and killing Thompson.

• Fire 1

1 hour ago, Hayseed said:

I think he’s going to adjust to it the way he did in the second half by calling a wider variety of plays to keep them from pinning their ears back and killing Thompson.

Can we just start off that way? 

seems to my amateur eyes that a smothers style offense may suit our o-line better. Maybe that’s telegraphing our play calling a bit too much. 

1 hour ago, krc1995 said:

seems to my amateur eyes that a smothers style offense may suit our o-line better. Maybe that’s telegraphing our play calling a bit too much. 

Thompson is by far our best passer and I think Whipple is right to go deep and keep them honest. He also needs to keep them honest other ways by calling screen passes, sweeps, whatever it takes. His offense has looked anemic far too often. 
It also helps if the players are competent.

• Plus1 1

14 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I see a Smothers style offense where he does a designed outside keeper for 8 yards, a designed QB draw for 5 yards, and then the defense adjusts and dares him to beat them with his arm, and he doesn't. 

I would take anyone's thoughts on our defensive plan with a grain of salt at this point, that's gotta be a guess because it's not the kind of thing the coaches let slip. I suspect we'll keep the safeties deep more because if Rutgers can hit the 1 on 1 fades and go routes Purdue sure can - but I don't think it will be back to the Chinander plan by any means. 

Just now, runningblind said:

The gift INT's came last week, I doubt we will be so lucky two weeks in a row.  

And WHY NOT?   The Solich Curse has been lifted.   We now have the Frost Curse on other teams. 

https://thespun.com/more/top-stories/look-football-world-reacts-to-scott-frost-curse-news#:~:text=The three teams are a combined 1-11%2C with,name seems to be catching on pretty quickly.

It's been nearly a month since Scott Frost was fired following Nebraska's loss to Georgia Southern. But it appears that Frost may have cursed or hexed the teams that have beaten his team on his way out.

ESPN's David Hale noted today that the three teams that have beaten Nebraska this year - Northwestern, Georgia Southern and Oklahoma - have all struggled since beating the Huskers. The three teams are a combined 1-11, with Oklahoma recently suffering a historic blowout at the hands of arch-rival Texas.

Hale dubbed it "The Curse of Scott Frost" even though Frost was fired before Nebraska played Oklahoma. But the name seems to be catching on pretty quickly.

1 hour ago, TGHusker said:

Love it.  I think that's actually some proven mathematical formula.  A Negative x Negative=Positive   Hope the curse if finally gone.  I think 4 years of Frost's craptastic coaching has to have cured a lot of ills...

4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Love it.  I think that's actually some proven mathematical formula.  A Negative x Negative=Positive   Hope the curse if finally gone.  I think 4 years of Frost's craptastic coaching has to have cured a lot of ills...

Putting an end to the 1990s trance that we've been in.  Now a new coach can come in and start a new tradition - without the 1990s expectations.  

• TBH 1