What did we learn: Rutgers

4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah I would’ve welcomed a Cunningham “that’s targeting” flip out tonight. I don’t mind Beth Mowins except for her voice. The crew tonight was simply horrible.

The RB on Rutgers did a textbook target, but since it was on a guy much larger than him nothing. Launched and hit Mathis right in the chin with the crown of his helmet. Had a bad feeling that Grant would be called for targeting after his hit and the guy got knocked out.

3 minutes ago, whateveritis1224 said:

The RB on Rutgers did a textbook target, but since it was on a guy much larger than him nothing. Launched and hit Mathis right in the chin with the crown of his helmet. Had a bad feeling that Grant would be called for targeting after his hit and the guy got knocked out.

I didn’t think the ball carrier could be called for targeting. Maybe I’m wrong :dunno

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 minute ago, CheeseHusker said:

Double-digit comebacks and single possession wins are a lot more fun when it's you and not the other guys.

One or two remotely competent offensive linemen would instantly improve this team by leaps and bounds.

Or one or two less atrocious OL :lol:

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

This team is physical.  Missed tackles allowed all the points they got.

I think a lot of the offense was playing a decent D and terrible field position.  And the other stuff everyone has already talked about.

Its crazy how bad Frost and Chinander are.  There’s some ballers on this team.  Every game is going to be a fight.  It takes time to change culture.

• Plus1 2

It’s nice to see coaches that can actually get the team to turn a bad game around and not piss themselves once a few things go wrong.

Mickey needs to tighten up the late game time management.   No need to wast those timeouts at the end to try and bleed another second off the clock.  Those timeouts are way more valuable  than the three seconds they saved in the event Rutgers somehow got in field goal range and scored.  

The tackles have the slowest feet in the history of college football and can’t handle an outside speed rush even when they know it’s coming. 

Trey needs a minimum of three deep throws a game thrown to him. 

Whip needs to admit his play calling was off this game and figure it out better for next week.

Defense did good but the Rutgers offense is atrocious.  

A win is a win and winning ugly is  better than losing pretty.  

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1

49 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

We learned that MJ & Whipple understand clock management & how to use time outs. If Frost was on the sideline for that last drive, Rutgers gets the ball with over 5 minutes - needing just a FG.

MJ wasted timeouts he didn’t need to waste.  If defense leaked at the end or gave up an unexpected big play, he would have needed those timeouts.  That wasn’t good timeout management.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
  • TBH 2
2 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

MJ wasted timeouts he didn’t need to waste.  If defense leaked at the end or gave up an unexpected big play, he would have needed those timeouts.  That wasn’t good timeout management.  

I do think Mickey should have saved one timeout just in case the defense started leaking oil on the last drive. However, his clock management was good the last few minutes of the game. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

I do think Mickey should have saved one timeout just in case the defense started leaking oil on the last drive. However, his clock management was good the last few minutes of the game. 

Other than wasting the timeouts I agree with you.  What’s the point in winding the clock to 1 then call a timeout?   Just run your play and save the timeout.  

• Plus1 2