98.1 on air this morning

So jumped into my Jeep about 6:45 morning, the radio was set to 98.1 because I was listening to Huskers last Saturday.

So Johanna goes off making fun and laughing about a picture she was shown of Rocky Dennis (remember the movie Mask with Cher from forever ago?)  So Gary tries to call her off and she keeps doubling down, saying the kid looks disgusting.  

Anyone else hear this?  

As the parent of a disabled kid I am horribly offended.  I am done listening to Froggy, sucks because they are the Husker games.  Also considering contacting their advertisers to let them know who they are aligning themselves with.

Am I over-reacting?

• Plus1 1

I didn't hear the segment and I don't know these two broadcasters or their show, so just taking your description at face value, I completely understand why you feel offended. It's petty and low to say something like that about someone who suffered from a real disability.

Is there any chance she thought that it was fake/cosmetic? I.e. that it was make up done for the movie? Not saying that would excuse her word choices, but might explain why she said it.

As to whether or not you're over-reacting, I feel like it's up to you to decide. I certainly understand being upset. I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting the station and giving them your feedback, and for letting them know you're done listening to them. That's lost revenue. Going after the advertisers seems like a bit much to me, based on what you provided.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I didn't hear the segment and I don't know these two broadcasters or their show, so just taking your description at face value, I completely understand why you feel offended. It's petty and low to say something like that about someone who suffered from a real disability.

Is there any chance she thought that it was fake/cosmetic? I.e. that it was make up done for the movie? Not saying that would excuse her word choices, but might explain why she said it.

As to whether or not you're over-reacting, I feel like it's up to you to decide. I certainly understand being upset. I don't think there's anything wrong with contacting the station and giving them your feedback, and for letting them know you're done listening to them. That's lost revenue. Going after the advertisers seems like a bit much to me, based on what you provided.

I was going to say something to this effect: it's possible she thought (as she's pretty young and probably has never seen the film) that it was makeup or prosthetics and not an actual person. Regardless, there are some things that are just flat-out unacceptable nowadays. 

Yeah I decided to start with station management on the website contact us function.

For those who don't know the picture she was referencing was from a true story movie that Cher and Sam Elliott did in the 80's about a kid named Rocky who has a facial disfuguration.

Gary did try to walk her back, telling her it was a movie about a real kid, and she kept doubling down.  "Nobody looks like that" then laughing histerically,  "thats terrible"  "why would you show me that" ,  I believe she even used the word disgusting.

Gary even said to her "you just showed your real self", to which she replied she didn't care or something like that.

Blast from the past.. I interned at Froggy about 12 years ago. Cant believe Gary is still there.

Broadcast house is a great place with awesome people. I can promise you they will take what you shared with them very seriously. 

People make mistakes but when you are in front of a hot mic, you need to be better. My guess is she will get suspended for a few days. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, B1GRED said:

Yeah I decided to start with station management on the website contact us function.

For those who don't know the picture she was referencing was from a true story movie that Cher and Sam Elliott did in the 80's about a kid named Rocky who has a facial disfuguration.

Gary did try to walk her back, telling her it was a movie about a real kid, and she kept doubling down.  "Nobody looks like that" then laughing histerically,  "thats terrible"  "why would you show me that" ,  I believe she even used the word disgusting.

Gary even said to her "you just showed your real self", to which she replied she didn't care or something like that.

Do they podcast their morning shows like 1620 does?

38 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Blast from the past.. I interned at Froggy about 12 years ago. Cant believe Gary is still there.

Broadcast house is a great place with awesome people. I can promise you they will take what you shared with them very seriously. 

People make mistakes but when you are in front of a hot mic, you need to be better. My guess is she will get suspended for a few days. 

Well, just got a half a$$ed apology (including the justifications) from Gary on behalf of Johanna.  I'm done with it, life is too short to spend it pi$$ed off at ignorant people.  Rant over.  I will find somewhere else to listen to the Huskers.

9 minutes ago, B1GRED said:

Well, just got a half a$$ed apology (including the justifications) from Gary on behalf of Johanna.  I'm done with it, life is too short to spend it pi$$ed off at ignorant people.  Rant over.  I will find somewhere else to listen to the Huskers.

Z92 broadcasts Husker football.

107.3 broadcasts Husker volleyball.

• Fire 1