What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Thank you.  That was the thing with Suh.  He showed glimpses at a sophomore, and then improved as a junior, but he was still far from consistent.  Bo was able to convince Suh "you can be a dominant college football player, and you can go from a mid-round draft choice to a top of first round draft choice", and Bo and Suh were able to do that in 2009.  Keep in mind, that was still in the days were the top of the first round was still able to get silly $ from their NFL teams, which is not true today.

And, it's not like Nelson hasn't shown glimpses of being good.  

Maybe put him in a new system with new DTs that actually take up blocks and maybe his production goes up.  Maybe a new coach can teach him new techniques...etc.  I don't know the answer to that.  I'm simply saying someone claiming he has no chance to improve is speculating at this point.

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, it's not like Nelson hasn't shown glimpses of being good.  

Maybe put him in a new system with new DTs that actually take up blocks and maybe his production goes up.  Maybe a new coach can teach him new techniques...etc.  I don't know the answer to that.  I'm simply saying someone claiming he has no chance to improve is speculating at this point.

I am not recommending that Rhule run Nelson off the team.  I think Nelson is a solid starter and leader on the team.  My initial comments were based around people wondering why Nelson would look to transfer.  I can understand a guy who has spent 4-years at one school with very little success to try something new for his final season as a college player.  Nelson possibly/probably has one more year of playing football in his life, I wouldn't blame him to do what's best for him in the next year.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You can't honestly think that a 22-year old player (who will be 23 in March) who has already seen the field for 4 full years, will suddenly become significantly better with a new coach.  Those are silly expectations.  Nelson is who he is.

A mature player (age) isn't a bad thing around the line of scrimmage.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, TheSker said:

A mature player (age) isn't a bad thing around the line of scrimmage.

I agree, and that's why I am sure Rhule wants Nelson to stick around.  However, I still don't see how that mature player in age and playing experience, will all of a sudden be so much better vs. his 4th year of playing time.  This isn't like Palmer who was buried on LSU's depth chart who suddenly blossomed at NU because he was actually seeing playing time.  Nelson has been playing regularly most of his career at NU.  Regardless where he plays next year, he will still probably be a solid, but not spectacular player.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

You can't honestly think that a 22-year old player (who will be 23 in March) who has already seen the field for 4 full years, will suddenly become significantly better with a new coach.  Those are silly expectations.  Nelson is who he is.

Why couldn't he be better?  Maybe the scheme is holding him back?  Maybe it's culture?  Maybe he's hit his ceiling?  I don't know, just like you don't.

Lamar Jackson was one of the worst tacklers I had ever seen.....period.  In one off season he became serviceable.  Coaching change only.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Why couldn't he be better?  Maybe the scheme is holding him back?  Maybe it's culture?  Maybe he's hit his ceiling?  I don't know, just like you don't.

Lamar Jackson was one of the worst tacklers I had ever seen.....period.  In one off season he became serviceable.  Coaching change only.

That's one player here who had a ton of hype that didn't quite live up to his potential. For me I believe it was the coaches that we had here that didn't develop him up to his potential.

33 minutes ago, Decked said:

Don’t believe s#!t about Nelson wanting to move on tbh 

Exactly !  This kid IS Nebraska.  I can see him just "checking" about what his chances are at the next level, even as a free agent signing.  What I can't see, is him wearing another college uniform.  I think it is a chance for him to stay and hopefully take on himself to help usher in the new era of Husker football.

• Haha 1
57 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Nelson is second team all conference and people want to act like he'd never play for other teams.

Smh

Probably people who didn't notice that he was in pass coverage literally the entire 4th quarter against Iowa, and dropped back significantly throughout the game.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why would he be talking to Mickey? Sure, he could give input as to if Mickey thinks he should.  But, I wouldn't think Mickey would have much input as to going forward with the team.

I thought it was curious that Mathis wanted to talk to Mickey, as well.  But, maybe Mathis wants to get an idea if Mickey is going to be around next year, before making a final decision.  Mathis has the relationship with Mickey, not Rhule, so I think this could happen regularly.

2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I thought it was curious that Mathis wanted to talk to Mickey, as well.  But, maybe Mathis wants to get an idea if Mickey is going to be around next year, before making a final decision.  Mathis has the relationship with Mickey, not Rhule, so I think this could happen regularly.

That's possible.  But, it's not like Mickey would be his position coach.  Again....sometimes it's tough to figure out what players are thinking as a fan.