What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's possible.  But, it's not like Mickey would be his position coach.  Again....sometimes it's tough to figure out what players are thinking as a fan.

I don't know about the specifics of who recruited Mathis, as I think it may have been Applewhite.  Applewhite has already been let go, so Mathis is just thinking "Is there going to be any coach that I am familiar with still on the staff?"  I know Mickey wouldn't be his position coach, for a lot of players, it's still nice to have a familiar face around.

5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't think Mathis lived up to the preseason hype.  Not sure he is ready for the NFL based on his play at Nebraska.  Another year under better coaching could raise his draft stock.

The only reason Mathis has another year of eligibility is due to the COVID year.  Mathis will be 24 years old in January.  I don't see how another year is going to raise his draft stock.  Draft stocks are less about on the field production, and more about talent and athleticism.  NFL teams will likely not be putting a lot of draft emphasis on a 25-year old DE in the 2024 Draft.  If he's going to make a NFL roster, his best bet is going to be in 2023.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The only reason Mathis has another year of eligibility is due to the COVID year.  Mathis is will be 24 years old in January.  I don't see how another year is going to raise his draft stock.  Draft stocks are less about on the field production, and more about talent and athleticism.

I didn't realize he will be 24 - then it probably makes sense to go on to the NFL if you think you can get drafted.  He could probably do well enough in the combines to turn heads based on athleticism.  

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nelson may just be done with Husker football, and that's fine.  He has tried his best to be a representation of the state and school, and done a commendable job of being a team leader.  All of the coaches he was recruited by and played for are now fired.  Maybe he wants to try to have more success at a different school.

Yes it would be fine.  Not his fault the entire staff didn't understand that he is not a Rush End in this league (or Big 12/SEC/Pac12/ACC).

The defense could have been better by using him as ILB.  

I mean, look at the film.  Most plays he isn't even a factor or around the play.  Not in the run game.  Not against the pass.  He just lines up on edge and makes contact with OT.  Woo.  

I am not faulting 44 and wish him success as a LB.   But I have always been disappointed with the DC & DE & LB coaches who couldn't figure that out.  He's no Rush End / Defensive End.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The only reason Mathis has another year of eligibility is due to the COVID year.  Mathis will be 24 years old in January.  I don't see how another year is going to raise his draft stock.  Draft stocks are less about on the field production, and more about talent and athleticism.  NFL teams will likely not be putting a lot of draft emphasis on a 25-year old DE in the 2024 Draft.  If he's going to make a NFL roster, his best bet is going to be in 2023.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I didn't realize he will be 24 - then it probably makes sense to go on to the NFL if you think you can get drafted.  He could probably do well enough in the combines to turn heads based on athleticism.  

It very well might be smart for him to go.  But, I don't see him being more than a free agent.  But, he would at least get a shot.

Just now, TGHusker said:

The COVID year has enabled a lot of guys to be well into their mid-20s with eligibility left.  I get annoyed when fans think "These guys are leaving early" (not saying you are) when they have already been in college 4-5 years.  I honestly doubt Mathis will get drafted, but he might as well try to make it in the NFL.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

Yes it would be fine.  Not his fault the entire staff didn't understand that he is not a Rush End in this league (or Big 12/SEC/Pac12/ACC).

The defense could have been better by using him as ILB.  

I mean, look at the film.  Most plays he isn't even a factor or around the play.  Not in the run game.  Not against the pass.  He just lines up on edge and makes contact with OT.  Woo.  

I am not faulting 44 and wish him success as a LB.   But I have always been disappointed with the DC & DE & LB coaches who couldn't figure that out.  He's no Rush End / Defensive End.  

Based on Nelson earning 2nd team All-Big Ten he was probably at his best position as a Rush End.  I don't think he has enough lateral quickness to be a 2nd-level LB.  I just think he wasn't quite athletic enough to be an elite Rush End.

If you are complaining about what he's doing on a play, he was being asked to hold the edge on run plays, and allow other players to make plays.  That happens all over football.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2
14 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Based on Nelson earning 2nd team All-Big Ten he was probably at his best position as a Rush End.  I don't think he has enough lateral quickness to be a 2nd-level LB.  I just think he wasn't quite athletic enough to be an elite Rush End.

If you are complaining about what he's doing on a play, he was being asked to hold the edge on run plays, and allow other players to make plays.  That happens all over football.  

Um, you are wrong. 

I said most plays, not "on a play"

You do this "know it all" rebuttal all the time.  So frustrating.  And I never complained about him, only how he was being misused.  In fact, you complained about 44's lack of lateral quickness and athletic ability.  And put it on me :facepalm:

If I need to do the leg work with tons of video, I will. 

We have been thin at ILB with this scheme, and guys have been getting beat up and injured for years.  It is my opinion that We could have used 44 in the 2nd level with Reimer, and rotation/breathers with Henrich, Koravec, M.Clements and Haussman

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
  • TBH 1
2 minutes ago, admo said:

Um, you are wrong. 

You do this "know it all" rebuttal all the time.  So frustrating.  And I never complained about him, only how he was being misused.  In fact, you complained about 44's lack of lateral quickness and athletic ability.  And put it on me :facepalm:

We have been thin at ILB with this scheme, and guys have been getting beat up and injured for years.  It is my opinion that We could have used 44 in the 2nd level with Reimer, and rotation/breathers with Henrich, Koravec, M.Clements and Haussman

I don't know what to tell you other than edge is literally the only place Nelson can be successful. The marginal lateral quickness and general athleticism would be exploited incredibly easily if he played ILB. There's a reason you don't see many 250 lb ILBs nowadays, and the ones you do are freak athletes. 

• Plus1 2

8 minutes ago, admo said:

Um, you are wrong. 

I apologize if I come across as a "know it all" rebuttal.  I understand that I probably do it a lot, and I can come across poorly.  However, I do think I am a smart guy who likes to think about team/player analysis, along with listening to a lot of team/player analysis about NU football.  Basically, I am a sports geek who likes to understand things beyond the basic level of analysis,  So, I will do a lot of looking at body types, skills, strengths and weaknesses when evaluating a player.

You commented that you think Nelson could have been better used at ILB.  I guess that's possible, if he was used at ILB for his entire career.  However, I questioned if he had the lateral speed and quickness necessary to play ILB.  I am sure I wouldn't be the only NU fan to think this way.

• Haha 2

Mathis's mom humorously tweeted out he's a 1st rounder.  Love the enthusiasm mama, but..........

As for Nelson as a ILB, as a DE he regularly is abused by teams when he had to drop into coverage, and so many times he loses the edge/contain by over pursuing play fakes by ignoring/not trusting his reads and staring into the backfield.  Now he's doing this as an ILB and all of a sudden it looks like Colorado 2001 and every opposing RB looking like Chris Brown and Bob Purify running untouched up the gut over and over and over again.

Love the kids motor and toughness, but would really love if the chaos was more controlled

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 2

Look at it from their perspective. You have a new coach with a history of slow starts who willingly admits he's developing for years 3 and 4. Do you want to suffer through that again or take your crack at the NFL.

Personally, with the transfer portal flexibility Nebraska has and a pretty favorable opening schedule, I don't see a 1 or 2 win season like Rhule has had in the past. Given how close to winning practically every game Nebraska has been the last two years, a slow start could be a bowl in this scenario. If you're a player whose fate is now tied to a new staff, you may not want to take that gamble, though.

I'd be concerned if a dozen guys entered the portal tomorrow, but if some fringe prospects want to take a stab at the league then more power to them.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

I don't know what to tell you other than edge is literally the only place Nelson can be successful. The marginal lateral quickness and general athleticism would be exploited incredibly easily if he played ILB. There's a reason you don't see many 250 lb ILBs nowadays, and the ones you do are freak athletes. 

He was also an outstanding wrestler in high school. I believe he won the Class B heavyweight title as a junior. And not the stereotypical heavyweights who lean on each other for most of the match. He also played running back in high school. 

I wonder if maybe he got a little too big and lost some of the mobility. Maybe at 220 he could have played some inside linebacker. Who knows. 

I do know he’s a diehard Husker. I would be surprise to see him leave,  Bur I guess you never know. I just wish someone would have taught him to get off a block. 

• Plus1 1