What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

41 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

This program is needing a complete rebuild and I do not blame any players that want to leave after the toxic culture that was exposed this year. The head coach that recruited them was fired and many learned after the fact (if they did not already know while he was still the coach) that Frost had issues with the bottle.  They then come to trust and appreciate the interim head coach who they loved and find out he is arrested for attacking his wife. If my son were in such a program I would fully support him looking elsewhere to get a fresh start, and I imagine we will see even more players test the portal.  

The best way to retain some of the defensive players is to hire a stud defensive coordinator that gets them excited about the new direction of the program.  

TRUTH.  WTH stay if you have no idea who the DC will be....Or what the complete staff looks like.  

I think some of the guys

A) Realize what a sh!t show they were in when a competent staff took over.  3 years too late, But I digress.

B) The glue that held them together gets arrested for DV

C) New coach that some on the team only know of his failures at Carolina.  

D) Realize I got to get away from this insane asylum while I still have eligibility

IMHO, we will probably resemble Baylor 2017 with a smaller roster heading into 2023.  I'd tell the team to wait until the staff gets settled then make a decision....

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, Decked said:

Gonna be a lot worse before it gets better. There will be a portal exodus me thinks. This is gonna take time. 

x1000

The transfer portal cuts both ways and while we're going to get some players, we're likely to lose most of the better players on our roster. Couple that with a down recruiting class due to the coaching staff change, and it's a really big rebuild.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Long term goals aside - next season is going to be goat ugly.   could very well be a 0-3 win season.  sucks but it's just reality after yesterday's events.  We're all going to have to hang on a couple years before we can get hyped again.

They will get guys too not just bleed them. I’m not going to say they will be good but coaching will be better. 

1 minute ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Long term goals aside - next season is going to be goat ugly.   could very well be a 0-3 win season.  sucks but it's just reality after yesterday's events.  We're all going to have to hang on a couple years before we can get hyped again.

Yesterday's events don't didn't change that, it was always going to be that rough.  Mickey doesn't recruit or coach lineman. I don't know why folks don't get that, he wasn't going to save us there. We  need new lines, that will take time.  

• TBH 2

15 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Yesterday's events don't didn't change that, it was always going to be that rough.  Mickey doesn't recruit or coach lineman. I don't know why folks don't get that, he wasn't going to save us there. We  need new lines, that will take time.  

I thought Mickey had a good point about recruiting JUCO linemen, but they are still hit or miss. The good news is that Nouilli and Prohaszka will be back, but I will always be concerned about Prohaskza making it through a whole season healthy. His height worries me for the o-line.  But you are correct, it will take a few recruiting cycles to improve the talent level of the o-line. 

• Plus1 2
44 minutes ago, TiredHuskerFanMWI said:

Long term goals aside - next season is going to be goat ugly.   could very well be a 0-3 win season.  sucks but it's just reality after yesterday's events.  We're all going to have to hang on a couple years before we can get hyped again. Hyped about becoming bowl eligible, that is.

Let's get a some good from the transfer portal.  We will do ok. Takes time to stop the burning to have new flourish