What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

Every player on every team should put their name in the portal every year to see what other NIL deals they can attract. Then they can stay with their current team and NIL deal, come back to their current team with leverage for a better deal, or can move else for a better deal. The way the system is currently structured in makes no sense for a player to not put their name out there unless they absolutely suck and are getting guaranteed NIL money already and could risk losing it by putting their name in the portal.

12 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Every player on every team should put their name in the portal every year to see what other NIL deals they can attract. Then they can stay with their current team and NIL deal, come back to their current team with leverage for a better deal, or can move else for a better deal. The way the system is currently structured in makes no sense for a player to not put their name out there unless they absolutely suck and are getting guaranteed NIL money already and could risk losing it by putting their name in the portal.

It's a chance.  If a player enters the portal, the school does not have to honor their scholarship if they withdraw.  Plus, if they do transfer, the player has to sit out unless they are a graduate or the head coach changes 

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1
18 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You are absolutely correct.

And this is why NIL and the portal ruined CFB.

No loyalty or commitment except to the almighty dollar. How are fans supposed to support players or programs in this environment?

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

It's a chance.  If a player enters the portal, the school does not have to honor their scholarship if they withdraw.  Plus, if they do transfer, the player has to sit out unless they are a graduate or the head coach changes 

I agree with all the above, but the one time transfer with no penalty rule is still in place. Also, players don't get another free transfer year just because the coaches leave; they can just enter the portal outside the set windows, but if they previously used their one time transfer, they would have to sit out that year unless they had a waiver or were a graduate transfer.

20 minutes ago, theknife said:

I agree with all the above, but the one time transfer with no penalty rule is still in place. Also, players don't get another free transfer year just because the coaches leave; they can just enter the portal outside the set windows, but if they previously used their one time transfer, they would have to sit out that year unless they had a waiver or were a graduate transfer.

As long as the player follows certain guidelines. 

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

I'm not sure that's actually the case.

And even if it is, schools not letting players come back could end up hurting the schools in recruiting.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, ZRod said:

Meh... How much of that was the coaching and no thumping in practice instead of live tackling? Most of the defense looked like garbage int after the OU game.

He was terrible all year. Even under Busch. Everyone made very reasonable improvement. Minus him. 

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I'm not sure that's actually the case.

And even if it is, schools not letting players come back could end up hurting the schools in recruiting.

Once a player enters the transfer portal, the program the athlete currently attends is no longer required to honor the player’s scholarship. Even if a player enters the transfer portal and later withdraws their name, their current program is no longer obligated to honor their scholarship.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Once a player enters the transfer portal, the program the athlete currently attends is no longer required to honor the player’s scholarship. Even if a player enters the transfer portal and later withdraws their name, their current program is no longer obligated to honor their scholarship.

Thanks.

I'm not sure that makes things any better, since now all the better players can enter their name since they are pretty much guaranteed to get other NIL offers, while the mediocre to poor players will be afraid to enter their name and will stay.

And I think schools can negatively recruit another school by pointing out when they don't let players put their name in the portal.

• Haha 2

Just now, RedDenver said:

Thanks.

I'm not sure that makes things any better, since now all the better players can enter their name since they are pretty much guaranteed to get other NIL offers, while the mediocre to poor players will be afraid to enter their name and will stay.

And I think schools can negatively recruit another school by pointing out when they don't let players put their name in the portal.

There is no contact by other coaches until the player is in the portal.  Currently, no one is in the portal as its not open right now.  There are several who will be heading there.  Rhule stated what I said a long time ago.  The players must want to be here.   

• TBH 1
Just now, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There is no contact by other coaches until the player is in the portal.

Yeah, just like players weren't being paid before NIL.

Currently, no one is in the portal as its not open right now.  There are several who will be heading there. 

When players can or can't enter the portal is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Rhule stated what I said a long time ago.  The players must want to be here.   

Players putting their name in the portal to leverage more NIL money is just smart. Even if that player wants to stay. I'm sure Rhule will adjust to this, since he's not going to simply want all his best players to transfer out.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Yeah, just like players weren't being paid before NIL.

When players can or can't enter the portal is irrelevant to the point I'm making.

Players putting their name in the portal to leverage more NIL money is just smart. Even if that player wants to stay. I'm sure Rhule will adjust to this, since he's not going to simply want all his best players to transfer out.

:confucius:facepalm:

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You are absolutely correct.

And this is why NIL and the portal ruined CFB.

No loyalty or commitment except to the almighty dollar. How are fans supposed to support players or programs in this environment?

The NFL seems to do okay.

I think most fans support the University’s team regardless of who’s on it.

• Thanks 1