What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

6 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The NFL seems to do okay.

I think most fans support the University’s team regardless of who’s on it.

Players can't just leave their NFL teams until their contracts are up, and there is a set salary cap. There is also a non subjective playoff system that fans can know exactly what their team needs to do in order to qualify.  They really aren't the same at all.

• TBH 1

5 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

You are absolutely correct.

And this is why NIL and the portal ruined CFB.

No loyalty or commitment except to the almighty dollar. How are fans supposed to support players or programs in this environment?

We’re all just cheering for laundry. We cheer for our guys in the red laundry because they attend and play for the school that we once did. 

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 1
13 hours ago, funhusker said:

The NFL seems to do okay.

I think most fans support the University’s team regardless of who’s on it.

You kind of missed my point.

1- I’m maybe weird but I don’t particularly like the NFL. I’ll watch a game from time to time but I don’t have a team that breaks my heart when they lose or that makes me happy when they win. Only time I’m invested at all is when I have wagered on a game.

2- It doesn’t matter who is on the Huskers and I still support them but it is different now. Used to be you’d enjoy seeing players progress in their career. Now it’s more of a new mercenary squad every year. I still want Nebraska to win but it feels way different. The players are a commodity and their only purpose is to do their job or gtfo. It’s NFL light. Did I mention I don’t really care for the NFL?

• Plus1 3
  • TBH 2
7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Can NIL be used for a student in the band or a cheer leader?  An outstanding academic student that markets themselves well on social media?  Or just for athletes?  

These students are not regulated by the NCAA (well, maybe cheerleaders, I don’t know), so their status as amateurs never would have been threatened by making money off their likenesses in the first place.

I mean, I was in the band and good at academics but was simply too humble and studious to cash in on my incredible fame and good looks while I was in school.

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, lo country said:

NIL and the transfer portal has ruined college football.  I do not see anything positive other than financial gain for those involved.  Can NIL be used for a student in the band or a cheer leader?  An outstanding academic student that markets themselves well on social media?  Or just for athletes?  

Non-athletes have always been able to make money as a student, whether that be through an endorsement, selling items, or other areas. NIL was supposed to allow students to earn money based on their name, image, and likeness (thus NIL) on goods and services.  Where NIL went sideways is that it got outside the original intent, and just jumped straight into a slush fund from boosters and cash payments to players. Once that happened, it became nearly impossible to change that. I don’t blame kids for getting $ when they can.

• Plus1 2
51 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Non-athletes have always been able to make money as a student, whether that be through an endorsement, selling items, or other areas. NIL was supposed to allow students to earn money based on their name, image, and likeness (thus NIL) on goods and services.  Where NIL went sideways is that it got outside the original intent, and just jumped straight into a slush fund from boosters and cash payments to players. Once that happened, it became nearly impossible to change that. I don’t blame kids for getting $ when they can.

There just needs to be some limitations.  NCAA is not longer amateur athletics.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3
3 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

There just needs to be some limitations.  NCAA is not longer amateur athletics.

I agree but the stupid NCAA said they weren’t going to govern NIL, therefore there  are no limitations. The whole thing was decided too quickly without thinking of potential ramifications, and that’s why we have today’s environment. 

3 hours ago, lo country said:

NIL and the transfer portal has ruined college football.  I do not see anything positive other than financial gain for those involved.  Can NIL be used for a student in the band or a cheer leader?  An outstanding academic student that markets themselves well on social media?  Or just for athletes?  

I think you’re being a bit dramatic and just projecting frustration that we’ve sucked for a decade now.

if anything, both NIL and the portal will make  CFB more equitable in the long run and if u can’t see that then u need to do more research.

• Haha 1