What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

Just so indicative of the new paradigm of college football there with Torres. He's not a bad player, he absolutely has potential here. But with Thompson still here and especially with Sims being just a junior, a kid just isn't going to stay...even though in the pre-covid era with as young as Torres is he would have typically been the kind of kid that would have stayed.

25 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just so indicative of the new paradigm of college football there with Torres. He's not a bad player, he absolutely has potential here. But with Thompson still here and especially with Sims being just a junior, a kid just isn't going to stay...even though in the pre-covid era with as young as Torres is he would have typically been the kind of kid that would have stayed.

Kids want to play, and aren't "staying patient" to wait their turn.  Parents also spend so much $ on private coaching and training for their players to get their kids scholarship (and now NIL) money, so the parents are also talking with their kids to see where else they can go and play sooner.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 2

I'm not sure Torres was that good of a fit for what Rhule/Satterfield want to do though. There are definitely examples of kids moving on what I would consider to be too soon, but if you're not exactly the type of player the new staff would recruit in the first place it makes sense. You shouldn't worry about getting recruited over, but when the new recruits will have a built-in advantage of fitting the scheme better it's different. I don't think Torres is trying to take a shortcut in his development or anything, just got a better chance to fulfill his potential elsewhere.

• Plus1 4
5 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm not sure Torres was that good of a fit for what Rhule/Satterfield want to do though. There are definitely examples of kids moving on what I would consider to be too soon, but if you're not exactly the type of player the new staff would recruit in the first place it makes sense. You shouldn't worry about getting recruited over, but when the new recruits will have a built-in advantage of fitting the scheme better it's different. I don't think Torres is trying to take a shortcut in his development or anything, just got a better chance to fulfill his potential elsewhere.

This is spot on.  I really don't have issues with guys transferring, for whatever reason.  It's their decision.  It's their college career that they are trying to manage.  Yes, there are situations which the coaches recommend that players move on from the team, which could have also been in play with Torres and NU.

• Plus1 2

IMO, and you're seeing it with Torres, is that the transfer portal is good for the players, terrible for quality football. The 3rd and 4th year player that has developed within a system and knows the playbook like the back of their hand is a thing of the past. Offenses are going to have to become much more vanilla and less varied so that systems match from place to place and a team can be built with pug and play athletes. There will be more penalties, procedure issues, substitution issues, and a general lack of cohesion. Defenses will become more dominant, until rules change to make it easier for offenses. This siezmic shift is why I think the '95 Huskers will never be toppled as the most dominant and best college football team from top to bottom of all time. 

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

The 3rd and 4th year player that has developed within a system and knows the playbook like the back of their hand is a thing of the past.

Well maybe not quite though. It depends on how highly they were rated as recruits.

If you're a highly rated player, then your NIL deal even as a freshman is probably going to be really good. And maybe guys will even be able to shop around on those figures during recruitment, I'm not sure.

But you believe you'll be starting in a couple years and you're making good bank, you might just stick around because you're getting paid quite a bit of money to go to college & go to practice.

As it pertains to Torres, that probably isn't the case though, unfortunately for him. That and the other reasons that Husker in WI listed out. So it probably did make a lot of sense for him to bounce.

1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Offenses are going to have to become much more vanilla and less varied so that systems match from place to place and a team can be built with pug and play athletes.

369270-20;1510738452y.jpg

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

Good for players great for the top of the line schools. Horrible for non-power five schools & FCS programs as they are basically just farm teams 

I'm not so sure about that.  Just as you have guys moving up from lower levels you have guys transferring down as well. Still though it sucks if they luck into finding an absolute stud he won't finish there.  Overall I think it may increase parity of college football throughout the Power 5 but I also think it's going to make it extra tough to knock down the top dogs now.  It's going to be rare that teams like Georgia, Alabama, Ohio State ever have an off year because they'll never have holes in their roster.  They whiff on a few QB classes in a row, no big deal just go to the portal and get somebody better.

• Fire 2

4 minutes ago, Caliborn72 said:

I think he would have been an all-conference guy at UCF, even in the Big12. Just not the right fit in the B1G I don’t think. People raved about his instincts and speed when he was able to practice.

Not sure I agree. He just doesn’t have very good coverage skills. And while he tackles like a missile he’s also about 175 and doesn’t wrap up. 

• Plus1 1