What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Callahan thinks we're already under 85 due to some "retirements".  And we won't find out on those until either the players announce it or we get a roster update on Huskers.com.

That probably bodes well in that there shouldn’t be any more surprises.

On 4/29/2023 at 12:54 PM, Huskerfollower4life said:

Im not going to say I was shocked by any means but more so extremely disappointed bc I felt it was his job to lose.  Just from watching the spring game I just don't feel like he is tailored for the offense.  My only question in all of this is why now??  Would it have been more beneficial for him to be on a new team to gel regardless if he couldn't throw.  Nebraska needs continuity.

He couldn't throw in the Spring and thus wouldn't be able to go to a new program and try and earn a starting spot in Spring Ball. Better to wait, get his surgery, rehab, watch other teams to see where a QB is a dire need and plot out his transfer now fully healthy and ready to compete over the summer for a starting spot at a school that really needs him. 

• Plus1 2
10 hours ago, caveman99 said:

He couldn't throw in the Spring and thus wouldn't be able to go to a new program and try and earn a starting spot in Spring Ball. Better to wait, get his surgery, rehab, watch other teams to see where a QB is a dire need and plot out his transfer now fully healthy and ready to compete over the summer for a starting spot at a school that really needs him. 

Its really hard on any offense to plug and play qb's.  He is going to be behind the 8 ball.  It's going to take time to gel with new teammates, to learn a new playbook and to be precise with the timing of his wr's.  Im not saying he can't be successful at doing it, Im just saying for any qb it's hard to do with a short time period.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Its really hard on any offense to plug and play qb's.  He is going to be behind the 8 ball.  It's going to take time to gel with new teammates, to learn a new playbook and to be precise with the timing of his wr's.  Im not saying he can't be successful at doing it, Im just saying for any qb it's hard to do with a short time period.

Could list 5 guys right now in the last 3 years that’ll tell you it’s doable.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

Nebraska’s Portal Movement - Herbie's Hangout

Nebraska had a flurry of it’s own with players entering the portal last week. We all knew this was coming, Nebraska at one point had over 100 scholarship football players in the spring and we have to get down to 85 when we play Minnesota. According to On3’s public chart, Nebraska is down to 88 players at this point. There’s one or two still on there that I believe are weighing their options to know where they could end up. Some guys want to stay FBS, and if they put their name in the portal Nebraska is released from its obligation to pay for them if they wish to retire. I know Rhule has offered this to one or two guys still on that list, they are going to see if there’s any interest and if not, they will take the offer.

You also have to remember that there is going to be some natural attrition this summer as well. Whether it’s guys cracking a teammate over the head with a beer bottle like what happened in the Pelini days, someone getting homesick, or just not jiving with the staff, I feel pretty safe sayin weare where we need to be with numbers. And we can go grab a couple in the portal if need be. Today we will go over our top 3 losses from the dozen that have left. Here we go!........................

• Oh Yeah! 1
2 hours ago, Red Five said:

From portal departures we ended up at 88.  But according to Rhule we got down to 83, then filled back to 85 with 2 walk-ons (my guess is Bullock and Boerkircher).

Sounds like possibly Bleekrode, Ortiz, and Fleeks not on "scholarship" + at least two guys taking the "retirement package"  Guessing those guys would be from the LB/DB rooms.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Farms said:

Sounds like possibly Bleekrode, Ortiz, and Fleeks not on "scholarship" + at least two guys taking the "retirement package"  Guessing those guys would be from the LB/DB rooms.

Possibly Malcom at LB… he is young for a “retirement “ package, but he just had shoulder surgery and will miss most of season and is undersized. 

15 hours ago, Farms said:

Any chance a few of the incoming WR's are track scholarships initially?  Any chance Betts & ICG aren't on scholarship yet?  

3 hours ago, floridacorn said:

Any chance a few of the incoming WR's are track scholarships initially?  Any chance Betts & ICG aren't on scholarship yet?  

My guess is the WR’s are on football schollies b/c the track schollies are often partial scholarships. There’s a reason why guys want to play football and basketball, those sports are the best chance at full scholarships. 

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
1 hour ago, default_28 said:

I was under the impression that any football player that received a scholarship, whether it was a “track” scholarship or an academic scholarship or whatever, still counted towards the 85. Is that not the case any more?

Pretty sure that’s the case. Miami did that after being on probation I believe.