What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

1 hour ago, default_28 said:

I was under the impression that any football player that received a scholarship, whether it was a “track” scholarship or an academic scholarship or whatever, still counted towards the 85. Is that not the case any more?

In the past, I thought it was a situation where the player could count against the other sport until that player saw the field on football.  However, the big issue with track or baseball or other sports, is that they can rarely give full scholarships to kids.  The reason those track athletes chose NU football late in the process is that they were able to get full-rides from football, while their track scholarships would only cover a portion of their college bills, even at some of the best track schools.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, default_28 said:

I was under the impression that any football player that received a scholarship, whether it was a “track” scholarship or an academic scholarship or whatever, still counted towards the 85. Is that not the case any more?

I believe someone on a track scholarship would count towards the 85 for football, but only once they've appeared in a game. So if you don't expect the track guys to play in year 1 or 2, could be a way to effectively greyshirt them and figure out the scholarship numbers down the road - but like ColoradoHusk said, the track ones are likely partial so I'd assume they're on the full football scholarships. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, default_28 said:

If they are on a different sport scholarship, it counts towards that sport until they step on the field in a counted football game, then it becomes a football scholarship.

• Plus1 3
27 minutes ago, sho said:

If they are on a different sport scholarship, it counts towards that sport until they step on the field in a counted football game, then it becomes a football scholarship.

You are correct.  While guys like Jaylen Lloyd and Brice Turner may end up running track at Nebraska, and not see the football field for a couple years, they are still on football scholarships.  Lloyd hadn't chosen a school for track because those schools were only offering partial scholarships.  A big reason he chose Nebraska, was the opportunity to get a full football scholarship.  I'm not saying you are incorrect on anything you are saying, just providing additional commentary.

• 2 months later...

On 7/28/2023 at 6:14 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

I’ve never heard of Androff, and Malcom was one another player I expected to move on during this offseason. 

Androff was a TE in Minnesota at Lakeview South(?) the opposite school of Benhart. Got here and they were already half joking about getting him on the oline (not because of Jurgeons, just his body style probably warranted in the change to Tackle)

12 minutes ago, lo country said:

If Farmer and Newsome are gone, wth......That'll leave a mark.  Any idea the reasons?  Just saw something on Reddit and Huskermax....Some smoke to that ref Farmer.

Supposedly didn’t get along with Cooper, lack of buy in. Further supposedly Farmer had been passed by Sanford and wasn’t even on the two deep. But Newsome would be odd considering Cooper gave a seemingly glowing review of him a couple weeks ago. 

Sean Callahan acknowledged the smoke but seemed to be referring to Farmer. He seems to be avoiding answering when being asked about Newsome. Something is definitely up.

That being said I just don’t see either Farmer or Singleton as huge losses other than hurting depth. Newsome is a potential NFL guy and had one spot locked down, he’d obviously be a huge loss.

• Plus1 2
49 minutes ago, Farms said:

Supposedly didn’t get along with Cooper, lack of buy in. Further supposedly Farmer had been passed by Sanford and wasn’t even on the two deep. But Newsome would be odd considering Cooper gave a seemingly glowing review of him a couple weeks ago. 

Sean Callahan acknowledged the smoke but seemed to be referring to Farmer. He seems to be avoiding answering when being asked about Newsome. Something is definitely up.

That being said I just don’t see either Farmer or Singleton as huge losses other than hurting depth. Newsome is a potential NFL guy and had one spot locked down, he’d obviously be a huge loss.

That's one of the rumors I read.  That he wasn't all in and missing/late for meetings in the summertime.  Who knows.  Depth is something we need for sure.  Not like we honestly have a lot of "next man" up.  Sanford, when he got time last year, and in the spring game this year seemed to always be around the ball.

• Plus1 1
12 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Maybe part of why we're taking 36 defensive backs in this recruiting class???

Could be. Also you look at a guy like Farmer that’s listed as a Junior but has already played 4 years here. I mean we know what the ceiling is and Rhule might be wanting to roll with younger guys. I think we’ll havre some guys not listed at seniors be encouraged to move on if they don’t do it on their own.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Farms said:

I don't think anyone in year one of a regime should be considered a huge loss. A reset of the environment is the point, and if this "huge loss" guy isn't on board, then wouldn't it actually be a positive overall to move on?  Wins aren't the point in my book year one.

• Plus1 1