What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

6 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

This is why I think Nelson gets such a pass from so many.  People so badly want to see the small town Nebraska kid play for them.  Its great that he does those things but that doesnt win games.  Look at Michigan, Wisconsin, and other top defenses in the country.   Does Garrett see their two deep?

Nelson has always put off the vibe of being a fiery vocal leader, which have been in short supply. Sure, he is not an elite player on the national level and may not be on the 2-deep on the top defenses in the country. However, for the time being, he is still one of our 11 best and still will be until Rhule has an opportunity to bring in new players. With his senior year coming up, and Rhule just starting a longterm rebuilding project, Garrett Nelson still has a lot of value on this team. I personally hope he stays. 

• Plus1 5

7 hours ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Plus he bleeds Husker Red and the blackshirt tradition and also he was a captain of the team this year.

Nelson may just be done with Husker football, and that's fine.  He has tried his best to be a representation of the state and school, and done a commendable job of being a team leader.  All of the coaches he was recruited by and played for are now fired.  Maybe he wants to try to have more success at a different school.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Nelson may just be done with Husker football, and that's fine.  He has tried his best to be a representation of the state and school, and done a commendable job of being a team leader.  All of the coaches he was recruited by and played for are now fired.  Maybe he wants to try to have more success at a different school.

I'm not by any means saying they are on the same level because they are not, but.........

Suh wanted to leave when Pelini showed up.  Also, a guy named Prince was buried on the depth chart at receiver.

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

I'm not by any means saying they are on the same level because they are not, but.........

Suh wanted to leave when Pelini showed up.  Also, a guy named Prince was buried on the depth chart at receiver.

I get what you are saying, but those are completely different situations (you are saying it's not the same level).  Suh & Prince had amazing talents who were looking for a way to make the NFL, and Bo showed them how to get there.  Nelson is either going to play another season of college football (at NU or another school), or end his college career and take a crack at the NFL.

The past few years are so odd in that guys who have played 4 full seasons at still eligible b/c of the COVID year.  Throw in the immediate transfer and now NIL, I just think we need to change our tunes on guys wanting to try something different for their final season of eligibility.

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I get what you are saying, but those are completely different situations (you are saying it's not the same level).  Suh & Prince had amazing talents who were looking for a way to make the NFL, and Bo showed them how to get there.  Nelson is either going to play another season of college football (at NU or another school), or end his college career and take a crack at the NFL.

The past few years are so odd in that guys who have played 4 full seasons at still eligible b/c of the COVID year.  Throw in the immediate transfer and now NIL, I just think we need to change our tunes on guys wanting to try something different for their final season of eligibility.

You really believe a 4th string receiver thought he'd be going to the NFL as a corner?  I have no idea, but I think it's unlikely.

Just now, gobiggergoredder said:

You really believe a 4th string receiver thought he'd be going to the NFL as a corner?  I have no idea, but I think it's unlikely.

He was at RB under Callahan, but yes, he was buried on the depth chart as a freshman.  I don't know if Prince was heavily looking at transferring, but all of those great athletes have NFL thoughts coming out of the high school.  It only took one spring at DB for Prince to establish himself on the 2-deep and his career took off from there.  I don't need to argue what happened with a player 15 years ago.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Neither Suh nor Prince had showed anything before Bo showed up.  At this point, how good or bad Nelson could be under a new staff is pure speculation.

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Neither Suh nor Prince had showed anything before Bo showed up.  At this point, how good or bad Nelson could be under a new staff is pure speculation.

I know Suh and Prince hadn't shown anything before Bo showed up, but they are still completely different situations than Nelson.  Suh and Prince were AMAZING athletes and talents, and Bo unleashed that talent.  Nelson is an above average to good athlete/talent, who has pretty much maxed out his play at NU.  I don't know how much more a new staff will get out of him.

12 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I know Suh and Prince hadn't shown anything before Bo showed up, but they are still completely different situations than Nelson.  Suh and Prince were AMAZING athletes and talents, and Bo unleashed that talent.  Nelson is an above average to good athlete/talent, who has pretty much maxed out his play at NU.  I don't know how much more a new staff will get out of him.

How 'bout we wait and see?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
49 minutes ago, Bigred_inSD said:

This is why I think Nelson gets such a pass from so many.  People so badly want to see the small town Nebraska kid play for them.  Its great that he does those things but that doesnt win games.  Look at Michigan, Wisconsin, and other top defenses in the country.   Does Garrett see their two deep?

He's t7 in the B1G in sacks, one more and he would have been t3.

So, yes, I think he'd be on the two-deep most places.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

The Suh narrative seems a tad revisionist. As a redshirt sophomore ('07), he had 34 tackles, 6 TFL's and a sack. It's not spectacular but I think he'd shown something more than 'nothing.'

Thank you.  That was the thing with Suh.  He showed glimpses at a sophomore, and then improved as a junior, but he was still far from consistent.  Bo was able to convince Suh "you can be a dominant college football player, and you can go from a mid-round draft choice to a top of first round draft choice", and Bo and Suh were able to do that in 2009.  Keep in mind, that was still in the days were the top of the first round was still able to get silly $ from their NFL teams, which is not true today.