What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's really sad that offenses under Frost and Riley would be so dependent on solid/strong WR play, yet, the WR recruiting has been an abject failure under both of those regimes.

I wouldn’t say it’s been an abject failure. Wandale was a pretty high draft pick and logged some solid minutes with the giants this year. Sure he finished at Kentucky but he was a frost guy and maybe woulda stuck around full time if we didn’t run him into the ground playing rb.  

HS wr recruiting needs to get better for sure, we can’t always rely on the transfer portal. But it’s also worth saying the lack of wr success is also a by product of having a s#!t o line and no consistent running game. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
17 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

I wouldn’t say it’s been an abject failure. Wandale was a pretty high draft pick and logged some solid minutes with the giants this year. Sure he finished at Kentucky but he was a frost guy and maybe woulda stuck around full time if we didn’t run him into the ground playing rb.  

HS wr recruiting needs to get better for sure, we can’t always rely on the transfer portal. But it’s also worth saying the lack of wr success is also a by product of having a s#!t o line and no consistent running game. 

I don't think you can use a guy who was a good WR elsewhere, but we used as a RB, tried to injure and got far less WR production out of to prove Frost wasn't an abject failure with WR. That example further proves the point rather than refuting it.

• Plus1 3
25 minutes ago, runningblind said:

I don't think you can use a guy who was a good WR elsewhere, but we used as a RB, tried to injure and got far less WR production our of to prove Frost wasn't an abject failure with WR. That example further proves the point rather than refuting it.

Yep.  Using one WR as an example of not being a total failure is not really refuting the point. Oh yeah, that one WR had to play the bulk of his snaps at RB because Frost and staff also sucked at recruiting RB’s. I liked using Wan’dale as an occasional RB, but not full-time, which basically happened, and drove him away to Kentucky. Interesting that as soon as he got away from NU and played full-time as a receiver, he was great and ended up getting drafted in the NFL. 

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yep.  Using one WR as an example of not being a total failure is not really refuting the point. Oh yeah, that one WR had to play the bulk of his snaps at RB because Frost and staff also sucked at recruiting RB’s. I liked using Wan’dale as an occasional RB, but not full-time, which basically happened, and drove him away to Kentucky. Interesting that as soon as he got away from NU and played full-time as a receiver, he was great and ended up getting drafted in the NFL. 

I don’t disagree with this. Tho despite splitting time at rb he was still pretty solid at wr and put up stats for us. Had he not had to double time he could’ve very easily approached the 100 reception mark he did at Kentucky.

i guess my larger point is I think this topic is overblown. The lack of wr hs recruits who panned out doesn’t even crack the top 5 of what’s been broken under frost and needs to improve. 

• Plus1 1

45 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I don’t disagree with this. Tho despite splitting time at rb he was still pretty solid at wr and put up stats for us. Had he not had to double time he could’ve very easily approached the 100 reception mark he did at Kentucky.

i guess my larger point is I think this topic is overblown. The lack of wr hs recruits who panned out doesn’t even crack the top 5 of what’s been broken under frost and needs to improve. 

It’s laughable at how much crap we are able to find about the Scott Frost era as more time passes. It’s either laugh or cry.  

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

i guess my larger point is I think this topic is overblown

Disagree. The failures of recruiting, developing, and retaining HS talent is right at the top of the list when writing the Frost autopsy.

WR is probably the best example of this, but there are other positions that are almost as bad (RB, OL, DL).

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2

When we had a decent run game complement, our passing was better.  The bottom line was the mix of plays couple with weak blocking led to mediocre offense.  Game management was not good either.  Essentially weak coaching, especially under Frost. Top 40 talent, overall, but bottom 40 team results.  

Let’s hope we get top 25 talent and results. That would help.  A few years of that and maybe we get to top 15 on both.  It takes time to claw your way up to top ten.  Better program. Better outcomes.  Championships are the goal but competitive teams can happen in the meantime. 

19 hours ago, Red Five said:

Disagree. The failures of recruiting, developing, and retaining HS talent is right at the top of the list when writing the Frost autopsy.

WR is probably the best example of this, but there are other positions that are almost as bad (RB, OL, DL).

There is a lot of reasons Frost failed, but that is by far at the top.  Never seen more misses and complete busts in that area.  Frost and Co were completely lost in the arena that is P5 and the B1G.