What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

I honestly think Grant is gone (he has a 6th year left if he wants it next year).  If he wants any shot to play in the NFL, he pretty much needs to declare this year.  He is already older than a handful of starting NFL running backs.  Coming back isn't going to elevate his draft round (if he gets drafted at all).

I am sure Allen has already been contacted (through back channels) about transferring.

• Plus1 1

Also before anyone says Nelson, Mathis, Reimer, or Newsome should come back for a super senior year to improve their draft stock, remember what happened with Jojo Domann.  He came back for the Covid year, had an elite year, was 2nd team All American.  And he didn't get drafted because the NFL doesn't like to take guys who are already 24 or 25 years old.

• Plus1 2
  • TBH 1

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Also before anyone says Nelson, Mathis, Reimer, or Newsome should come back for a super senior year to improve their draft stock, remember what happened with Jojo Domann.  He came back for the Covid year, had an elite year, was 2nd team All American.  And he didn't get drafted because the NFL doesn't like to take guys who are already 24 or 25 years old.

Well that and he was a tweener. He didn’t play much LB in college. 

• Plus1 5
57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I would recommend to all Nebraska fans to not worry about who from the 2022 staff stays under Rhule, and what that means for guys transferring out. You will all save a bunch of heart ache from it.

There are going to be things that are unfavorable over the next few weeks or months.  Just think about the long-term trajectory of the program. 

Agree here.   Rhule only gets one time of being the new coach and the first year is the year to make any big changes and do a complete reset if he wants in year one. 

• Plus1 3

I think at least two QBs and two RBs are basically a given.  Thompson is a question mark at best.  I'd be surprised if Smothers, Purdy and Haarberg all stay.  And Watson might decommit.  But we'll probably add a transfer, especially if Thompson leaves.  

Yant sounds like he's basically gone.  Which doesn't hurt my feelings.  Grant could very well leave.  

Probably 2-3 of WRs as well.  Palmer is one.  I guess IGC is already gone but I wasn't counting him.  Hardy and Grimes seem unlikely to see the field here.  Tommi Hill might look to start over (again).

I don't see a bunch of OL defections though I continue to be surprised Lynn adn Conn are still here.  Likely getting at least a couple of transfers so that might push a couple to look elsewhere.

The to-be-sophomores on the DL - Weaver (now OL?), Black and Buckley - seem questionable at best.

We should return a solid group of LBs but Snodgrass seems to have been passed by and not much has been heard from Kpai, Malcom or Gbayor.  Likely 1-2 out of that group.

Nelson and Mathis might have put in their time in college.

Tyreke Johnson seems to be a non-factor.  Omar Brown made some noise but barely saw the field.  NPG doesn't seem to be figuring it out.  Probably a couple other defections if Fisher doesn't come back.

That's 22 or so without any real big surprises, of which there are always a couple.

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
22 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think at least two QBs and two RBs are basically a given.  Thompson is a question mark at best.  I'd be surprised if Smothers, Purdy and Haarberg all stay.  And Watson might decommit.  But we'll probably add a transfer, especially if Thompson leaves.  

Yant sounds like he's basically gone.  Which doesn't hurt my feelings.  Grant could very well leave.  

Probably 2-3 of WRs as well.  Palmer is one.  I guess IGC is already gone but I wasn't counting him.  Hardy and Grimes seem unlikely to see the field here.  Tommi Hill might look to start over (again).

I don't see a bunch of OL defections though I continue to be surprised Lynn adn Conn are still here.  Likely getting at least a couple of transfers so that might push a couple to look elsewhere.

The to-be-sophomores on the DL - Weaver (now OL?), Black and Buckley - seem questionable at best.

We should return a solid group of LBs but Snodgrass seems to have been passed by and not much has been heard from Kpai, Malcom or Gbayor.  Likely 1-2 out of that group.

Nelson and Mathis might have put in their time in college.

Tyreke Johnson seems to be a non-factor.  Omar Brown made some noise but barely saw the field.  NPG doesn't seem to be figuring it out.  Probably a couple other defections if Fisher doesn't come back.

That's 22 or so without any real big surprises, of which there are always a couple.

Could you say that if 30 players do leave it's so called a big deal? I ask bc maybe he might want to break up the whole roster to make us better in the long run.

4 minutes ago, Huskerfollower4life said:

Could you say that if 30 players do leave it's so called a big deal? I ask bc maybe he might want to break up the whole roster to make us better in the long run.

Looks like Frost had 56 transfers during his tenure.  It's to be expected.  IIRC, Frost met with all of the players individually when he started.  Some left after hearing what he said and probably assumed that they would not be playing.  I'm assuming Rhule will do the same.  As @Mavricmentioned, there are some guys that have not contributed at all and some that are veteran guys gettin passed over by younger guys.  Some super seniors might test the waters with the draft to see where they are projected to go and make a decision based on that...

End of the day, roll with the guys who want to stay and play.  

I don’t have an issue with Palmer giving the NFL shot, as he’s been in college a number of years, and I don’t think his draft stock will improve with another year. However, every draft board which I have seen doesn’t have Palmer very high on their rankings. He is in the 30s of WR rankings and may not get drafted at all. What may hurt him in the later rounds and ability to make a team is that he doesn’t play on special teams coverage units. 

10 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t have an issue with Palmer giving the NFL shot, as he’s been in college a number of years, and I don’t think his draft stock will improve with another year. However, every draft board which I have seen doesn’t have Palmer very high on their rankings. He is in the 30s of WR rankings and may not get drafted at all. What may hurt him in the later rounds and ability to make a team is that he doesn’t play on special teams coverage units. 

To me I feel like alot of NFL teams are going to question his consistence. You caught this many passes this game and other games you weren't even a factor.

2 hours ago, Red Five said:

And they don’t like hybrid linebacker/ safeties who don’t run 4.5. 

21 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

We as fans  tend to overestimate our guys appeal to the NFL. They are big on the “numbers”, size, speed, hand size, etc. He’s not special in any of those areas,  And he’s not one of those guys who is considered a great route runner or a guy who catches everything. 

I understand it’s the right time for him to try,  but he’s far from a sure thing to make it at the next level. 

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 2