What players leave after the season? 2022/23 version

13 minutes ago, StuckinCO said:

We as fans  tend to overestimate our guys appeal to the NFL. They are big on the “numbers”, size, speed, hand size, etc. He’s not special in any of those areas,  And he’s not one of those guys who is considered a great route runner or a guy who catches everything. 

I understand it’s the right time for him to try,  but he’s far from a sure thing to make it at the next level. 

He's over 6 feet tall and will run 4.3, they'll like the measurables. There will be questions about focus drops and ability to play through contact, but he will rise through the draft process and be fine. Not top couple rounds after he was shut down a fair amount by Illinois/michigan/minnesota, but he'll be fine.

• TBH 2

22 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

He's over 6 feet tall and will run 4.3, they'll like the measurables. There will be questions about focus drops and ability to play through contact, but he will rise through the draft process and be fine. Not top couple rounds after he was shut down a fair amount by Illinois/michigan/minnesota, but he'll be fine.

could happen. But I’m guessing his combine numbers come in closer to 5’11” and low to mid 4.4’s.  Could be way wrong but watching him he looks a lot more in that neighborhood. No way he’s 4.3. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, StuckinCO said:

Kind of similar to basketball. Guys going from college to NBA get a little shorter and verticals aren’t  quite as high

For sure there's exaggeration, I thought he was listed at 6'2. But he's listed at 6'1 so 5'11 and a half is probably right. I would put money on sub 4.4 though - he's a track guy, and he runs by people on the field.

There's a not a direct 100m-40yard dash correlation, but for comparison Tyquan Thornton from Baylor went 4.28 in the 40 and has a 10.5 100m personal best. Palmer has a 10.42 pr in the 100. We've had plenty of football-fast guys who don't have track speed, Palmer has both.

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

For sure there's exaggeration, I thought he was listed at 6'2. But he's listed at 6'1 so 5'11 and a half is probably right. I would put money on sub 4.4 though - he's a track guy, and he runs by people on the field.

There's a not a direct 100m-40yard dash correlation, but for comparison Tyquan Thornton from Baylor went 4.28 in the 40 and has a 10.5 100m personal best. Palmer has a 10.42 pr in the 100. We've had plenty of football-fast guys who don't have track speed, Palmer has both.

Even though you’re right that there isn’t a direct correlation, I would really question the legitimacy of that 4.28 if his PR is 10.5 in the 100m. That would be pretty extreme case of someone not being able to maintain through the last 60. But who knows. I hope Palmer does post numbers good enough to get him drafted. 

It will be interesting to see what he clocks at the combine. 

Just now, StuckinCO said:

Even though you’re right that there isn’t a direct correlation, I would really question the legitimacy of that 4.28 if his PR is 10.5 in the 100m. That would be pretty extreme case of someone not being able to maintain through the last 60. But who knows. I hope Palmer does post numbers good enough to get him drafted. 

It will be interesting to see what he clocks at the combine. 

I don't think Thornton kept ran track after HS, so quite possible he would have a better PR if he had. I'm excited to see what Palmer does, probably our only decent bet to get drafted this year. But yeah, he has questions that need answered at the combine. 

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Tyquan Thornton is a terrific comp for Palmer honestly.  The measurables for Palmer will be key.  Thornton is 6'2+, ran sub 4.3 will a 36.5 inch vert.  I'll be curious where Palmer comes in but assume he's a couple inches shorter, a touch slower and I'm not sure on the explosiveness.  Thornton went at pick #50, I think if Palmer tests and measures well----sub 4.4, 6'1, etc he can maybe sneak into the 4th round.  Palmer is going to get comped heavily to Hyatt from Tennessee who is another elite speed guy.

The good news for Palmer is I don't think this is a banner year for stud WRs.  You've got Johnson at TCU, Addison at USC/Pitt, Smith Nijigba at tOSU and then it's guys like Downs from UNC, Hyatt, and some other dudes.

15 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

Yeah, I think Palmer will turn in a better-than-expected 40 time and raise his stock.  The NFL loves speed at WR.

• TBH 1