Former Greats poopooing on the the late 90s?

Frost was a great QB. Won the Natty. And I think most of us appreciate that fact. His short NFL career led to a career in coaching. And the creds seemed right. His associations to a bunch of great coaches, the job he did at UCF and his Husker connection appeared to all line up for a home run hire for us. And most us believed in the guy from day one. Then the seasons happened. The losses happened. And the improved play never happened. Scott will always be a great and former Husker player. He won't be remembered for coaching because all the memories are bad ones. Magic Johnson was a great player for the Lakers. No one talks about his coaching with the team because he was awful.

Davison, like most of us, believed in Frost. He helped get Frost here. And he probably got a job title he didn't really deserve because of it. When Frost failed, I don't think anyone felt worse about advocating for his hiring than did Davison. So it didn't work and Matt left. Not shocked.

Don't understand why anyone would hold hatred toward Scott or Matt. Hey, it didn't work. We're moving on now.

Let this be a lesson to us. Reaching backwards to the past in order to move the program forward is probably a bad idea. Sooooo, before we hire Mickey, we better be sure. Extra Sure. That he has a plan. That he has coaches to hire for key spots. That this has a very good chance of succeeding in 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Because otherwise, we will have been guilty of reaching into the past to fix the future. And then people will hate Mickey too.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 3

11 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

Frost was a great QB. Won the Natty. And I think most of us appreciate that fact. His short NFL career led to a career in coaching. And the creds seemed right. His associations to a bunch of great coaches, the job he did at UCF and his Husker connection appeared to all line up for a home run hire for us. And most us believed in the guy from day one. Then the seasons happened. The losses happened. And the improved play never happened. Scott will always be a great and former Husker player. He won't be remembered for coaching because all the memories are bad ones. Magic Johnson was a great player for the Lakers. No one talks about his coaching with the team because he was awful.

Davison, like most of us, believed in Frost. He helped get Frost here. And he probably got a job title he didn't really deserve because of it. When Frost failed, I don't think anyone felt worse about advocating for his hiring than did Davison. So it didn't work and Matt left. Not shocked.

Don't understand why anyone would hold hatred toward Scott or Matt. Hey, it didn't work. We're moving on now.

Let this be a lesson to us. Reaching backwards to the past in order to move the program forward is probably a bad idea. Sooooo, before we hire Mickey, we better be sure. Extra Sure. That he has a plan. That he has coaches to hire for key spots. That this has a very good chance of succeeding in 2023, 2024 and beyond.

Because otherwise, we will have been guilty of reaching into the past to fix the future. And then people will hate Mickey too.

Agreed. When you fire an outsider - meh. When you fire a Husker you alienate that potential donor ( the former Husker player) and all his closest friends. You do that enough times you're left with no player alumni to support your program. God knows we've fired enough of them over the last 20 years. 

• TBH 1
1 hour ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Agreed. When you fire an outsider - meh. When you fire a Husker you alienate that potential donor ( the former Husker player) and all his closest friends. You do that enough times you're left with no player alumni to support your program. God knows we've fired enough of them over the last 20 years. 

I’d like to see this list of “enough” that we’ve fired and alienated. I think you’re being a little overdramatic.

These guys know the deal in coaching big time college sports. Get the job done or GTFO. I can’t think of one former Husker we’ve fired that didn’t completely understand why and likely agree with the decision. And there may be some that “hate” Frost now but I’d like to think they’re in the minority and more likely hate the coaching job he did but can also give props for the job they did as a player.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’d like to see this list of “enough” that we’ve fired and alienated. I think you’re being a little overdramatic.

These guys know the deal in coaching big time college sports. Get the job done or GTFO. I can’t think of one former Husker we’ve fired that didn’t completely understand why and likely agree with the decision. And there may be some that “hate” Frost now but I’d like to think they’re in the minority and more likely hate the coaching job he did but can also give props for the job they did as a player.

6 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Not going to go back and find them all for you, but from Solich's staff through Frosts' there were former Husker head coaches, coordinators, assistant head coaches or position coaches on every staff. Some more than others. Over 20 some years and 5 staffs I'd guess there are probably 20ish coaches that were former Huskers on the staff that probably hold a sour taste - add to that their former player friends that have your back and it adds up as far as Husker alum not willing to represent or financially support the team as a result. 

41 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Not going to go back and find them all for you, but from Solich's staff through Frosts' there were former Husker head coaches, coordinators, assistant head coaches or position coaches on every staff. Some more than others. Over 20 some years and 5 staffs I'd guess there are probably 20ish coaches that were former Huskers on the staff that probably hold a sour taste - add to that their former player friends that have your back and it adds up as far as Husker alum not willing to represent or financially support the team as a result. 

I just can’t think of one who A) wasn’t let go due to an obvious lack of performance or B) because they unfortunately happened to be involved in a head coach/staff change. I’m failing to see how any of them could really feel wronged by Nebraska. They either knew they weren’t meeting expectations or realized they were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Not much they can legitimately complain about and there’s nothing different Nebraska could’ve done.

I would agree that Solich and members of his staff may feel they got screwed but nobody since then. They would’ve had to win a lot more to not expect it.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
On 10/12/2022 at 9:01 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

Aight, I may be the only one that feels this way, so if I'm out of line, feel free to call me out.  Frost didn't work for various reason, some maybe most of which, seem to be his own doing. That said, I'm starting to get the vibe that the Huskers of the late 80's early 90's have taken the reigns are are moving out any of the Husker greats that came after them. Frost replaced with Joseph-ish, now Davison replaced by Benning etc. I get the vibe that the guys "who reached the pinnacle," '93, '94, '95 look down on those who came after and weren't able to sustain. - Maybe its just the situation with Frost, but Davison was on board long before. Anyways, just the vibe I'm getting, maybe its just the way the articles announcing such changes are written. 

I’m tired of hearing about the past. It’s irrelevant. Those guys were surrounded by talent the way Alabama is now; we have to work with the players we have, not some fantasy dream team. I’m really impressed with the coaches we have right now. Everybody knows the NCAA is a rigged game that favors market share. There’s another aspect to it that we all love and that’s all I care about.