*** 2022 Game 7 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Purdue ***

Saunders

Call Your Shot!  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2022 Game 7 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Purdue

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

Why Nebraska Will Win

Did the Huskers just break the hex? After years of discovering new and exciting ways to lose close games, Nebraska caught the break it never, ever, ever got under Scott Frost with a late penalty on Rutgers helping the cause in a 14-13 win. Combine that with the win over Indiana and your 2022 Nebraska Cornhuskers are on the top of the Big Ten West standings. They’re starting to play okay under Mickey Joseph. The running game isn’t doing much outside of whatever cool run Anthony Grant is able to come up with, but the passing attack has been okay and the defense is starting to hold up better. Indiana and Rutgers don’t have Purdue’s passing game, but the Husker secondary was strong over the last two weeks – the three interceptions against the Scarlet Knights helped – and should come up with a few takeaways in this. The Boilermakers have turned it over eight times in the last three games – Nebraska might need those mistakes, but …

Why Purdue Will Win

It’s not like Nebraska’s offense has taken off. It’s been okay through the air, and it’s not all that bad overall, but it’s good for two turnovers a game, the ground attack really doesn’t do enough averaging 2.4 yards per carry over the last two games, and the line is way too leaky in pass protection. Purdue’s defensive front is holding up well against the run. There aren’t enough plays in the backfield, but it’s okay on third downs and is coming off two pitched gems in wins over Minnesota and Maryland on the road. As long as the offense can chill a bit on the turnovers – there are way too many fumbles for a team that doesn’t run all that much – it should be able to control the game throughout with midrange passes.

What’s Going To Happen

This is a huge moment for Nebraska. The two straight wins were nice, but getting by Purdue would be different. The Boilermakers are two plays away from being 6-0, got a strong win over Maryland, and were brilliant against Minnesota. It’s going to take them a little while to put this away. Effort has never been a problem for the Huskers, and it’ll show in a great start and an early lead. The Purdue offense will finally start to click midway through the third quarter with two good scoring drives, and the momentum will roll from there.

Purdue 30 - Nebraska 17

—————

ESPN FPI

Purdue - 85.1% Win

—————

DRatings

Purdue 33 - Nebraska 23

Purdue - 78.3% Win

—————

ESPN Bill Connelly SP+

Purdue 34 - Nebraska 20

Purdue - 80% Win

—————

Big Red Wrap Up

Mike’l Severe: Purdue 38 - Nebraska 20

Jay Moore: Purdue 31 - Nebraska 24

Sean Callahan: Purdue 34 - Nebraska 24

—————

Athlon Sports

Steven Lassan: P

Mark Ross: P

Ben Weinrib: P

—————

More to come!!!

• Plus1 2

We will probably lose this game.  However, this is the type of game that we need to win to start teaching this team that they can compete and win when the rest of the world doesn't think so.  Last year, we competed every game.  But, this team needs to learn they can actually win this type of game.

Honestly, the only thing holding back my hopes of a win is the O line.  I think we can be competitive with them in pretty much all other areas.  But, our O is going to struggle if the O line hasn't improved.

• Plus1 2

I love all the pro-win posts for us in this game but.. but I have more doubts about this game than I had in the ones we've played so far.. and that seeps into doubts about my own confidence in Coach Mickey's words and insights and all that.  I want to be wrong, of course.  I honestly think we're going to get skunked real bad.

They came within 4 points of Penn State.  They beat Minnesota and Maryland on the road.  They shutout a crappy Indiana State and scored 56 points doing so while our games against crappy teams were a loss and a satisfying win at home.  We got wiped out by the Sooners who are getting no respect anymore amid bad losses. 

It's adding up to quite the challenge to see us being better than that two touchdown spread against us.

15 hours ago, Hagg said:

I love all the pro-win posts for us in this game but.. but I have more doubts about this game than I had in the ones we've played so far.. and that seeps into doubts about my own confidence in Coach Mickey's words and insights and all that.  I want to be wrong, of course.  I honestly think we're going to get skunked real bad.

They came within 4 points of Penn State.  They beat Minnesota and Maryland on the road.  They shutout a crappy Indiana State and scored 56 points doing so while our games against crappy teams were a loss and a satisfying win at home.  We got wiped out by the Sooners who are getting no respect anymore amid bad losses. 

It's adding up to quite the challenge to see us being better than that two touchdown spread against us.

Nebraska has come within 4 points of beating a few good teams over the years.  we all know how that has turned out for them.  congrats on shutting out Indiana st.  I coached kids that couldn't hold my jock that ended up playing at Indiana st.  who cares.  Still hard to say weather or not Minnesota is any good.  I watched Maryland play and I don't think they are very good..  The two biggest reasons for this team underperforming are now unemployed so have some faith.  every game is winnable.

• Oh Yeah! 5
2 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Nebraska has come within 4 points of beating a few good teams over the years.  we all know how that has turned out for them.  congrats on shutting out Indiana st.  I coached kids that couldn't hold my jock that ended up playing at Indiana st.  who cares.  Still hard to say weather or not Minnesota is any good.  I watched Maryland play and I don't think they are very good..  The two biggest reasons for this team underperforming are now unemployed so have some faith.  every game is winnable.

I like every bit of that... doing my best with similar thoughts. 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1