Blackshirts will not return this season per MJ

31 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Cuz right now, every starter isn't deserving of one (imho).

That’s exactly the problem. It started out as simply being the starter, the best we had (good or bad) at the position. If you slacked off then the next guy would get your shirt. However in the early/mid 90s it became synonymous with defensive perfection because….duh. TBH the whole tradition has been a PITA ever since. It worked when it was simply the best players at their position, and trust me, the defense wasn’t always the greatest. But since it’s morphed into a standard of excellence with fans expecting a certain level and coaches delaying handing them out, giving and taking them back it’s kinda sucked.

Those perfect defenses of the mid 90s ruined it. I say that jokingly….but it’s true.

• Plus1 5
  • TBH 1

1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

Cuz right now, every starter isn't deserving of one (imho).

Basically what JJ said. The shirt was only ever meant to designate a starter. Once we had some really dominant defense it morphed into this bastardized thing that took on a whole other meaning and pageantry and I think it's over played.

It's stupid, it's tiresome, and ultimately pointless. In the end it's really just something for the media to stir the pot with. It should just be play hard and give it your all or the guy behind you is going to replace you. End of story.

Let's not forget you basically took something away from these kids because the former coaches failed them in recruiting, training, and practice. That's some bulls#!t.

• Plus1 2

MJ is growing on me!  I really hope he's still part of the staff next year in one form or another.

He isn't killing a tradition at all.  He's making a tough HC decision that allows the kids to focus on just getting better than living up to some hype.  People can say that the team needs to block out the social media noise (they are not wrong...), but Mickey is making a decision that is going to ruffle some feathers to help the kids do just that.

One of the biggest things fans have "complained" about in the past 10 years is how players on the roster think think they deserve something just because of the "N" on their helmet.  This is a step in the right direction to change that mentality.

• Plus1 2
30 minutes ago, funhusker said:

MJ is growing on me!  I really hope he's still part of the staff next year in one form or another.

He isn't killing a tradition at all.  He's making a tough HC decision that allows the kids to focus on just getting better than living up to some hype.  People can say that the team needs to block out the social media noise (they are not wrong...), but Mickey is making a decision that is going to ruffle some feathers to help the kids do just that.

One of the biggest things fans have "complained" about in the past 10 years is how players on the roster think think they deserve something just because of the "N" on their helmet.  This is a step in the right direction to change that mentality.

Agree. Wouldn’t the EASIEST thing for Mickey to do been NOT make this move? Setting the example of not caring what the outside world thinks, doing things that are hard (& not what people expect) and being accountable only to yourself, your teammates and your coaches is part of Mickey’s reboot process. Regardless of what happens this week against Purdue - he has them pulling together & moving in the right direction. But MAN, if he could pull off a signature win, on the road, at Purdue this week - I think Husker Nation would be demanding that Trev give him the keys to the castle. Not that Trev doesn’t have eyes & ears to make the right decision without fan input - but excitement is what puts butts in the seats and keeps the sellout streak going (for Realsies).

• Plus1 1

He's the expert on his players.  So we can't really say we disagree with his decision.  We can say we don't like it, though.  Seems like it'd be demoralizing to the D leaders, the ones who really deserve that Blackshirt designation.  Especially the seniors. 

5 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Odd position for someone with your Huskerboard avatar to take! 

Not really. He just wants good defense and accountability like the rest of us. Any discussion about blackshirts since the late 90s has just been a distraction, a meme and not helpful at all. It’s just a media circus talking point.

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is where I’m at with the decision to.  Take it off the table and just let the kids play and grow as a defense. 

• Plus1 1

The Blackshirts started out as simply “black shirts” but it became a BRAND (a secondary brand - as “Whopper” is to “Burger King”). Brands have value, but only if their reputation is maintained. If the Whopper became small compared to the average burger - it becomes a joke & requires a reboot. That’s what MJ is doing here - something that is sorely needed - a reevaluation of EVERyTHing that has made this group practice & play like it has. 

Right now, this team is being KILLED by its O-Line play. If they opened (even creases) for our NFL-caliber running back & could keep our QB from getting maimed this season we would really have something.

• Plus1 1

Maybe NU could re-imagine the while blackshirt thing and make it a season long achievement award for the entire defense.   What about something like this…..  

A blackshirt is made up with logo and year and given out at awards banquet for members of the defense that finished top 20 in Points allowed per game and yards per game.  Anyone who played 50% of the snaps or more also get a small wall plaque.  

Gives it an achievement  feel with a season long goal.   Not some random moment in time to be called a blackshirt in a defense ranked 50th in the country.  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

The Blackshirts started out as simply “black shirts” but it became a BRAND (a secondary brand - as “Whopper” is to “Burger King”). Brands have value, but only if their reputation is maintained. If the Whopper became small compared to the average burger - it becomes a joke & requires a reboot. That’s what MJ is doing here - something that is sorely needed - a reevaluation of EVERyTHing that has made this group practice & play like it has. 

Right now, this team is being KILLED by its O-Line play. If they opened (even creases) for our NFL-caliber running back & could keep our QB from getting maimed this season we would really have something.

so you are saying the defense is a "BigMac" then?  

48 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

Odd position for someone with your Huskerboard avatar to take! 

Is it though? It's a nick name and logo for a defensive unit. It says nothing about what warrants "earning" the title. Odd that people want a blonde Herbie with overalls, but promote Nebraska being diverse and not full of hicks. Or maybe it's just another mascot/logo for the school we love.