What did we learn? Purdue

7 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Eh .... I think what had a negative effect on our defense was not being able to stop the run.  Or the pass.

Yes… do you believe we would have better or worse with Reimer & Heinrich out there all game?

Presumably you would agree we would be stronger with them than without. Safe to say more opportunities for injury occur by facing more plays? Ergo, facing fewer plays on defense may lead to a reduction in injuries?

Defense helps themselves via turnovers or preventing prolonged drives. Offense helps by better controlling the clock and allowing time for the defense to recharge. We haven’t done either of those well since Pelini.

A few more things to add:

- Agree with the over-pursuit comment- Purdue ran the same play 5-6 times where they would pull the tackle and guard one way and run backside against the flow of traffic to take advantage of our over-pursuit on defense

- We are also fairly undisciplined in our pass rush, often going out of our lanes to try and make a play. Fine line between taking yourself out of the play and making the play- great example of this was the first play of the Fourth Quarter the 3rd and 11 from the Purdue 9- Mathis took himself out of the play rushing too far upfield and AOC stepped right into his vacated lane to fire a dart for the first down

-  I don’t see what others see with Hausmann (yet) - can probably develop into a good player in the long term but he definitely shouldn’t be on the field in the current state (understand he’s only out there due to injuries)

- We are going to need a USC esque roster flip this offseason with the portal. I’m talking 15+ total guys, and it’ll break out something like: 1 QB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE, 2-3 OL, 3-4 DL, 1-2 ILB, 2-3 OLB, 3-4 DBs.  

- I also hated the defensive alignment, especially when we were bringing pressure- felt like we gave way too much room to their WRs and frankly I was shocked we didn’t double 15 on some of the key downs (including the last third down conversion)

- People are going to freak about the TOP difference and I get it but Mickey basically said this is the style of game they wanted to play to have a chance to win and they scored 37 points. Will never be mad about efficiently putting up 37 points when we also had two turnovers in the same game. If the D wants off the field, its on them to make tackles in space and force punts 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Yes… do you believe we would have better or worse with Reimer & Heinrich out there all game?

Presumably you would agree we would be stronger with them than without. Safe to say more opportunities for injury occur by facing more plays? Ergo, facing fewer plays on defense may lead to a reduction in injuries?

Defense helps themselves via turnovers or preventing prolonged drives. Offense helps by better controlling the clock and allowing time for the defense to recharge. We haven’t done either of those well since Pelini.

When NU is down 27-10 late into the 3rd quarter I think it’s unfair to ask the offense to try and milk the clock more. At that point, especially with our porous offensive line, I think it’s fair to ask Whip to score as many points the rest of the game as he can. Whip’s offense produced 27 points in the last 32 minutes of the game.  Yes, not getting a TD on first and goal from the 4 hurt, but the 3rd down play was WIDE OPEN. It’s just very hard for an o-coordinator to do anything with a shaky offensive line. 

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2
  • TBH 3

I learned that I am not a huge Whipple fan.  We run routes with our WR's that take forever for them to get open.  Sure, Palmer had some great plays tonight on go routes, but most of the time we are running deep crosses and just can't get the time for those plays to develop.  Purdue has slow Wr's and just keep busting us with slants all night.  One on one plays.  I think we give up on Grant and Yant way to easy.  I don't think that Casey does a good job of running the zone read.  Tonight he actually kept the ball and gained 6 easy yards.  That is there alot of the time.  He doesn't have to keep it often, just keep the D honest from time to time.

I think our Defense has moments where they look better, but right now we are a mash unit. 

I learned once again that our talent level across the board is not up to the level of most Big 10 schools.  We have some really nice pieces, and good enough talent to compete, but not enough difference makers across the board on both sides of the ball. 

I liked Hill returning kicks, he looks natural at that.  No more Martin on punt returns, put in Hill. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
7 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Would Purdue have been better or worse if they had their top two RBs?

Would Purdue have been better or worse if Jones wasn't hobbled?

Obviously we'd like to have all our guys.  But last time I checked those two don't set the edge or running plays or cover wide receivers on passing plays.  

So, no, I don't think that's really an excuse for why we are bad.  Reimer playing didn't keep us from giving up 642 yards to Georgia Southern.  Both of them playing didn't keep us from giving up 580 yards to Oklahoma.

• Plus1 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

When NU is down 27-10 late into the 3rd quarter I think it’s unfair to ask the offense to try and milk the clock more. At that point, especially with our porous offensive line, I think it’s fair to ask Whip to score as many points the rest of the game as he can. Whip’s offense produced 27 points in the last 32 minutes of the game.  Yes, not getting a TD on first and goal from the 4 hurt, but the 3rd down play was WIDE OPEN. It’s just very hard for an o-coordinator to do anything with a shaky offensive line. 

Is that how you’re interrupting what I wrote? 

I am simply pointing out that the longer the defense is on the field, the more chances for our best players to be injured and less talented players see the field. The offense tonight was clicking with the big plays which was a nice improvement over the more common three-and-out theme we had been seeing earlier in the year. However, barring a major change in trends, our team will face 1.5-2x defensive snaps in comparison to the average of peers. That beating takes a toll over time and leaves us with 3rd/4th/5th? best options in crunch time. 

• Fire 1

This may be a bad team, but not so much because they are bad athletes, but because they are the leftover debris from multiple position coaches.  They are a band of misfits.  It’s is obvious of how little coaching they have had prior to MJ-so hats off to him for just doing things that we expect coaches to do.  MJ, Whip, Busch and co. have done an admirable job making the most of the hand they were dealt. 
And I’m really pissed that SF could have fixed ST all along.  Dude made off like a bank robber.  I think my hate for him is just starting. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

I am simply pointing out that the longer the defense is on the field, the more chances for our best players to be injured and less talented players see the field. The offense tonight was clicking with the big plays which was a nice improvement over the more common three-and-out theme we had been seeing earlier in the year. However, barring a major change in trends, our team will face 1.5-2x defensive snaps in comparison to the average of peers. That beating takes a toll over time and leaves us with 3rd/4th/5th? best options in crunch time. 

I’m just simply pointing out facts. Yes, I agree that the play balance is not a recipe for any type of success.  The defense isn’t good. The offense is trying to do the best they can, given the line. 

• Plus1 3

3 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Their first drive of the game they went right down the field facing only one third down before throwing a terrible pass for an INT.

Their second drive they went 80 yards in 9 plays for a TD.

Unless we were completely gassed at the opening kickoff, it wasn't fatigue that was hindering our defense.

• Plus1 5
Just now, Mavric said:

Would Purdue have been better or worse if they had their top two RBs?

Would Purdue have been better or worse if Jones wasn't hobbled?

Obviously we'd like to have all our guys.  But last time I checked those two don't set the edge or running plays or cover wide receivers on passing plays.  

So, no, I don't think that's really an excuse for why we are bad.  Reimer playing didn't keep us from giving up 642 yards to Georgia Southern.  Both of them playing didn't keep us from giving up 580 yards to Oklahoma.

Probably better, yes. Was Jones hurt to start the game? I noticed him hobbled near the end of the game (after he was playing 60-70+ snaps at receiver)… thank you for unintentionally proving my point that more snaps = more collisions and more opportunity for injury.

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

This may be a bad team, but not so much because they are bad athletes, but because they are the leftover debris from multiple position coaches.  They are a band of misfits.  It’s is obvious of how little coaching they have had prior to MJ-so hats off to him for just doing things that we expect coaches to do.  MJ, Whip, Busch and co. have done an admirable job making the most of the hand they were dealt. 
And I’m really pissed that SF could have fixed ST all along.  Dude made off like a bank robber.  I think my hate for him is just starting. 

There are a lot of bad athletes playing with no depth whatsoever. I don’t get why Ruud gets no criticism for the ILB play. There have been no development and depth in his tenure.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Wistrom Disciple said:

Probably better, yes. Was Jones hurt to start the game? I noticed him hobbled near the end of the game (after he was playing 60-70+ snaps at receiver)… thank you for unintentionally proving my point that more snaps = more collisions and more opportunity for injury.

He was hurt from the start.  Good try though.