Is Trey Palmer at the very least a second round NFL draft day wr?

Just now, Huskerfollower4life said:

Do you think rn he is a NFL prospect? Only has one very good year to date.

I don't have enough knowledge about Palmer to give a good answer and I am far from a NFL scout, so that's why I looked at some pre-draft rankings this morning before I posted.  Palmer has ELITE speed, which would make him attractive for NFL teams.  But, he would need to explain why he struggled at LSU.  I honestly think that part of what is making him so good so far this season is the fact that he's going against below-average DB's who get surprised and can't match by his straight ahead speed.  That's why I made my comment about Palmer needing to show himself against better competition in the secondary (Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, maybe even Illinois).

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I don't have enough knowledge about Palmer to give a good answer and I am far from a NFL scout, so that's why I looked at some pre-draft rankings this morning before I posted.  Palmer has ELITE speed, which would make him attractive for NFL teams.  But, he would need to explain why he struggled at LSU.  I honestly think that part of what is making him so good so far this season is the fact that he's going against below-average DB's who get surprised and can't match by his straight ahead speed.  That's why I made my comment about Palmer needing to show himself against better competition in the secondary (Michigan, Wisconsin, Iowa, maybe even Illinois).

He didnt do so hot against Oklahoma that's for sure. Well nobody really did!!! Offensive line definitely got dominated against.

If Jameson Williams gets drafted first round, Trey will get picked. If a WR has one 1,000+ yard year and is a junior with his type of profile (former 5 star and LSU signee), then it is very likely he goes to the NFL. Next week will be a huge week for his stock. If he scores a touchdown or two and has 100-150 yards receiving, he will get a ton of mention as one of the best WRs in the country, and will shoot up to the top ten. Take Palmer in while we have him. He's on pace for something we have never seen here before. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I wouldn't have picked Wan'dale Robinson's game to translate to the pros, but he just caught a touchdown for the Giants yesterday.

This year could be very different. A guy like Palmer could easily show up as a second round prospect and it would be very tempting to get to the NFL as soon as possible. On the other hand, he becomes a big enough star at Nebraska to bring in decent NIL money, which could easily be more than what a second-rounder is guaranteed in the NFL, and it might be tempting to milk NCAA stardom for another year. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I wouldn't have picked Wan'dale Robinson's game to translate to the pros, but he just caught a touchdown for the Giants yesterday.

This year could be very different. A guy like Palmer could easily show up as a second round prospect and it would be very tempting to get to the NFL as soon as possible. On the other hand, he becomes a big enough star at Nebraska to bring in decent NIL money, which could easily be more than what a second-rounder is guaranteed in the NFL, and it might be tempting to milk NCAA stardom for another year. 

I vote for milking the NCAA

He’s been putting up numbers but his routes don’t have the wiggle you usually see from a top 2 round guy. Plus he hasn’t played anybody I’d consider that good of a prospect at db to really know. His straight line speed is gonna get him a look but right now I don’t see too much in his game. Hopefully he stays and rounds his game out

If Palmer continues his performance, there is zero doubt he will be a first round draft pick. The real question is: “will we do what it takes to keep him at Nebraska and not have him run for the transfer portal?”. We tend to drive good players away. Frost did a wonderful job of this over the last five years. I am hoping Mickey is much smarter than Fraud, I mean Frost…

8 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

If Palmer continues his performance, there is zero doubt he will be a first round draft pick. The real question is: “will we do what it takes to keep him at Nebraska and not have him run for the transfer portal?”. We tend to drive good players away. Frost did a wonderful job of this over the last five years. I am hoping Mickey is much smarter than Fraud, I mean Frost…

I am really confused by your statement. If he’s going to be a first round pick, Mickey would be doing the kid a favor in telling him to leave for the NFL. That’s not driving a good player away.

I personally don’t think Palmer is going to go from being ranked in the 300’s currently to being a first round pick in the matter of 2 months. 

• Plus1 2

Only 2 things will keep him from going to the league after this season - a bad injury or as Guy mentioned above, a very sweet NIL deal.

Not sure where people are saying he didn't perform against Oklahoma?  He had 10 receptions for 92 yards (almost 1/3 of our yards) and he was open on several other plays where he should have been thrown to had CT not been assaulted constantly.  His worst game of the year was against Rutgers - 4 receptions for 64 yards.  Again, he was open a lot but CT just couldn't get the ball to him.

His pace will likely slow over the next 5 games but that will have a lot more to do with CT being pressured non stop than it will be about him being open.    

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
On 10/17/2022 at 6:55 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

He runs a 10.4 100 meters. He has Olympian sprinter speed. Straight-ahead Speed isn’t the question with Palmer.

He's 6'1", 190 lbs, so he's not a big WR, but he's also not a shifty, slot-type WR.

If he’s 10.4 his only Olympian speed is on the women’s side though!

He does seem to have a knack for getting himself open though. And Davonte Adams is only 6’1”, so it’s certainly feasible. Like someone said earlier though, the NFL is SO hung up on testing numbers.