Is Trey Palmer at the very least a second round NFL draft day wr?

45 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If Palmer ends the season as the nations leading receiver do you keep Whipple around?  That would be back to back years he has the "best" receiver but at different schools

There is a chance that he will retire due to health issues.

But, let's say he doesn't.  If I were the new HC, I would strongly consider it.  If I remember right, his first year at Pitt, was just OK.  Then his second year was really good.  CT under him for a second year could be very beneficial to him and the team.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

There is a chance that he will retire due to health issues.

But, let's say he doesn't.  If I were the new HC, I would strongly consider it.  If I remember right, his first year at Pitt, was just OK.  Then his second year was really good.  CT under him for a second year could be very beneficial to him and the team.

And just imagine if Whipple and CT had a line they could trust ...

• Plus1 2
42 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

If Palmer ends the season as the nations leading receiver do you keep Whipple around?  That would be back to back years he has the "best" receiver but at different schools

What would impress me more is if he figured out how to have a balanced offense that didn't count on a few home runs to score.  I realize there are a lot of things in play this year but I haven't been impressed, at all, with the offense since Scott was let go.  We are averaging 25 points per game (mainly on yolo bombs to Palmer) while those 4 defenses we have faced average allowing 28 points per game - (including the garbage games early where they blanked their opponents).  Remove the weak non conference games and those teams are averaging well over 30 points allowed against them.  Bottom line opposing defenses are holding us, on average, to well under their season averages while at the same time our defense can't stop anyone not named Rutgers. 

There is zero reason to retain Whipple imo.  

• Plus1 2

2 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

So Thompson being unable to get the ball to Palmer early in the season arguably cost Frost his job?

I mean ... we had Palmer wide open (at least) twice against Northwestern and couldn't get him the ball.  We very likely win that game if we can do that.

So it's possible it could have at least been delayed.

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, Hilltop said:

What would impress me more is if he figured out how to have a balanced offense that didn't count on a few home runs to score.  I realize there are a lot of things in play this year but I haven't been impressed, at all, with the offense since Scott was let go.  We are averaging 25 points per game (mainly on yolo bombs to Palmer) while those 4 defenses we have faced average allowing 28 points per game - (including the garbage games early where they blanked their opponents).  Remove the weak non conference games and those teams are averaging well over 30 points allowed against them.  Bottom line opposing defenses are holding us, on average, to well under their season averages while at the same time our defense can't stop anyone not named Rutgers. 

There is zero reason to retain Whipple imo.  

Well its hard to be balanced if you are playing from behind and if you can't get the run game going because like other have said our O line is terrible.  There have been some pretty solid drives that didn't depend on home runs.  Also who cares? if the home run plays are there they are there.  Palmer really hasn't made a lot of plays were it wasn't just him running past people.  So its not like we need him to make some miracle play like say Ameer breaking 8 tackles against McNeese st. 

• TBH 2
20 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Well its hard to be balanced if you are playing from behind and if you can't get the run game going because like other have said our O line is terrible.  There have been some pretty solid drives that didn't depend on home runs.  Also who cares? if the home run plays are there they are there.  Palmer really hasn't made a lot of plays were it wasn't just him running past people.  So its not like we need him to make some miracle play like say Ameer breaking 8 tackles against McNeese st. 

Not disagreeing with you really but maybe looking from a different perspective.  We have an OC who has pretty much shown his colors here and in the past.  He is who he is.  I love the pass and think he does a good job scheming guys open on long plays.  The question then becomes, is that the type of offense we see for Nebraska going forward into the future?  Will it work to win us championships?  I personally have my doubts.  I think to win at the highest level in college football you have to have an OC with a creative mind that plays to the strengths of all parts of your team.  Figure out ways to run the ball successfully, despite a weak O-Line.  Figure out ways to control the ball for 3 or 4 minutes to close out a game.  Scheme plays to protect your QB. 

I'll be the first to admit I don't study offensive play calling in detail.  Many guys on here smarter than I am.  Maybe I am not seeing the genius because of the situation?  In any event, I don't think he has done enough to be the guy going forward, yet.