Purdue Play-by-Play

Mavric

Grant did a nice job.  But I'm more impressed that we were actually trying to help the OL.  Grant stays in to protect, originally helping the edge.  Vokolek chips on the other edge before releasing.

Those are pretty small things that make a huge difference.  Not sure why we aren't doing that most of the time when we know our tackles are struggling so badly.

Lutovsky more unlucky than anything on the first play.  He fires out well but just isn't expecting the hard upfield gap shot by the DT.

Anthonly again with terrible feet on the second play....

... and the third, although there's no reason Grant couldn't have chipped here.

Same story again with Lutovsky - tough to pick on a guy in his first start so much.  He just doesn't seem to anticipate how hard upfield the DT is going.  But I can live with some of that from a young guy.  I don't think this play was going anywhere anyway.  Piper gets gets beat as well.

40 minutes ago, Mavric said:

This clip doesn't start early enough to see if we really did anything special or just got a good run at it.  I kind of think they just botched the protection but we did at least have one guy in the middle to draw some attention.

During the game one of the announcers said the Purdue protection had accounted for everyone before Sanford went in motion changing the numbers. Basically he was unaccounted for.

Edited by desertshox
Cleaned up bad grammar to make it less bad.
  • Plus1 2

4 minutes ago, desertshox said:

One of them did find someone to block but still missed the block.

Eh ... that's pretty harsh.  He's an OL.  He's run some 40 yards 2.5 quarters into a game.  And he's trying to track down a defensive back.  The guy just kind of runs away from him.  I'm not sure you can really fault the OL for "missing" him.

• Plus1 1
On 10/17/2022 at 9:38 AM, Mavric said:

Weird how when we actually had someone playing outside contain, we did a nice job stopping the run.  Would have been nice to do that more often.

Just now working through this thread. Are you talking about going five guys on the line when you say "outside contain" on this particular play?

Because I think where we've been beaten big at times (especially against Georgia Southern) was when there was only one LB staying home in the middle.

Anyway, this really was a good play.

9 minutes ago, Undone said:

Just now working through this thread. Are you talking about going five guys on the line when you say "outside contain" on this particular play?

Because I think where we've been beaten big at times (especially against Georgia Southern) was when there was only one LB staying home in the middle.

Anyway, this really was a good play.

I didn't get to watch the Georgia Southern game so I'm not sure about that one.

A lot of times in the Purdue game, our End Man On the Line was basically head-up on the tackle.  It was way too easy for him to get hooked and all they did was run directly off-tackle and there was no one there to stop them.

25 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A lot of times in the Purdue game, our End Man On the Line was basically head-up on the tackle.  It was way too easy for him to get hooked and all they did was run directly off-tackle and there was no one there to stop them.

Yes. I feel like I've been saying this for five seasons now. I could make an argument that it's recruiting, but then I feel like there's another argument that it's a bit of a flaw with the "Modified 3-4 Nickle Defense" in terms of how you actually implement it - not the scheme itself.

Lots of people celebrated the 3-4 that Chinander brought initially (and of course Diaco basically ran it also) because they said it's easier to recruit for, in that good 4-3 defensive ends are really hard to come by and it's hard to recruit them to Nebraska.

Ok, well fast forward five seasons and any of the guys we've tried to plug in to play the stand-up edge man basically looks like a high school JV player going up against B1G offensive tackles.

I really think we misused Caleb Tannor, I think we wasted his athletic ability by trying to use him the way we have. Probably a safe bet we'll do the same thing with Butler also.   :facepalm: