Illinois Week Pressers

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It's not a huge deal, and I would be saying the same regardless who said it, but it's something that shouldn't be done.  The coaches know the rules, and they shouldn't openly violate them, even when it's a minor violation.  As knapplc mentioned, it's something that can be resolved by self-reporting.

I'm more annoyed at the question, the reporters also know they aren't supposed to comment about recruits. And he cut MJ off mid thought on another question, it was just dumb.

Only other interesting thing for me was MJ was up front that we are hitting Jucos hard for OL help right now. Likes them more than portal kids because there aren't questions about why they're leaving. He didn't say this part, but OL is also the thinnest position group in the portal by far when it comes to quality players. You get a handful of FCS/G5 studs who want to boost draft stock, and then a lot of guys buried on depth charts who think another coach will realize they're better than the guys ahead of them. They're usually not. 

• Plus1 1
  • Gage County changed the title to Illinois Week Pressers
1 minute ago, Husker in WI said:

I'm more annoyed at the question, the reporters also know they aren't supposed to comment about recruits. And he cut MJ off mid thought on another question, it was just dumb.

Only other interesting thing for me was MJ was up front that we are hitting Jucos hard for OL help right now. Likes them more than portal kids because there aren't questions about why they're leaving. He didn't say this part, but OL is also the thinnest position group in the portal by far when it comes to quality players. You get a handful of FCS/G5 studs who want to boost draft stock, and then a lot of guys buried on depth charts who think another coach will realize they're better than the guys ahead of them. They're usually not. 

New England is starting rookie from and FCS school at left guard.  I think they should try to take the route they took with the kicker and the punter.  Go find some all-americans that are looking to transfer or even tamper and ask if they want to transfer.  They are at least performing at a high level.  

2 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I am not sure who asked the question, but I don't think it's fair to "blame the media" on this one.  Mickey still should know better than saying something specific and naming the player in his PC.  On your second point, I like that they are turning up the recruiting at JUCO's for OL help.  The talent and depth at O-line is non-existent, so they should be turning over every rock to find players.

8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I am not sure who asked the question, but I don't think it's fair to "blame the media" on this one.  Mickey still should know better than saying something specific and naming the player in his PC.  On your second point, I like that they are turning up the recruiting at JUCO's for OL help.  The talent and depth at O-line is non-existent, so they should be turning over every rock to find players.

Not so much blaming them as wondering why bother. Worst case, he says "yeah it's great that we got that guy" and there's a minor violation that we all talk about. Best case, he says "I can't talk about recruits." What are you going to do with either of those answers? It won't be a huge deal but it was unprofessional. And not the kind of unprofessional where you're pushing boundaries on what questions you're supposed to ask in an effort to get a better story, just the pointless kind.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 1
13 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

New England is starting rookie from and FCS school at left guard.  I think they should try to take the route they took with the kicker and the punter.  Go find some all-americans that are looking to transfer or even tamper and ask if they want to transfer.  They are at least performing at a high level.  

I think it works for a few positions, but Strange wasn't in the portal. There were a handful of guys close to that caliber - O'Cyrus Torrence went from Sun Belt to SEC and will probably be all-conference there - but they get snapped up quick. I just don't think you can build a whole line that way, but I'm sure we'd take a portal kid too if we could get one.

9 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I think it works for a few positions, but Strange wasn't in the portal. There were a handful of guys close to that caliber - O'Cyrus Torrence went from Sun Belt to SEC and will probably be all-conference there - but they get snapped up quick. I just don't think you can build a whole line that way, but I'm sure we'd take a portal kid too if we could get one.

I know some guys would probably be content staying put if they know they are getting drafted anyway (I was just using Strange as an example of talent in FCS).  But with how bad our line is we need all the help we can get.  Maybe there might be a guy out there that had some interest in Nebraska but didn't get an offer and had to go to a lower level.  I know it takes some luck to get a quality guy but if its me I would see it as immediate playing time because the current roster spots aren't full of studs.  I was only half joking when I said tampering but if some O-lineman is a stud maybe get someone in contact with him and say "you ever thought about entering the portal? we could use you"