*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

Mavric

I think we have 4 games remaining after today.  I would play every player in the program the rest of the way and see what is on the bench, on this roster.

I would also strip Whipple of any play calling.  NO MORE!  Finish this season off in reboot mode.  Find out whats really on this roster and either have players going forward who are good enough or have players leave who are not Big 10 material.

We just plainly don't have, and have not had a Big 10 roster yet since joining.  We haven't.  We haven't developed those players at least, but I haven't seen too many players on our roster now for years that WOW me.

• Thanks 1
  • TBH 1
Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

Yeah he was very impressive at NDSU and had done very well at K-State. His team also doesn’t fold when forced to go to their backup QB. 

Yep.  Actually develop guys...And AM was having a great year until the injury.  He'd definitely be a no nonsense accountability type of coach.  Not the "wow" hire IMO.  I think a lot of folks outside the midwest would have to google him, but I think his resume would be impressive.  His time at KSU has resulted in winning seasons.  BUT I am sure some fans would not see the conference titles, 10+ wins seasons and want to pass.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think we have 4 games remaining after today.  I would play every player in the program the rest of the way and see what is on the bench, on this roster.

I would also strip Whipple of any play calling.  NO MORE!  Finish this season off in reboot mode.  Find out whats really on this roster and either have players going forward who are good enough or have players leave who are not Big 10 material.

We just plainly don't have, and have not had a Big 10 roster yet since joining.  We haven't.  We haven't developed those players at least, but I haven't seen too many players on our roster now for years that WOW me.

The problem imo is that we haven’t developed the players and haven’t built serviceable lines. Sure, we need players but we’ve out recruited most of the conference. The problem is what we’re not doing with them once we get them.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

The problem imo is that we haven’t developed the players and haven’t built serviceable lines. Sure, we need players but we’ve out recruited most of the conference. The problem is what we’re not doing with them once we get them.

Other than Cam, I am truly hard pressed to see a player who improved.  There are more, I'd think, but not across the board.  As a team we have not improved in any facet of the game save ST this season.  We have recruited well enough to win, but can't develop or scheme.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, lo country said:

Yep.  Actually develop guys...And AM was having a great year until the injury.  He'd definitely be a no nonsense accountability type of coach.  Not the "wow" hire IMO.  I think a lot of folks outside the midwest would have to google him, but I think his resume would be impressive.  His time at KSU has resulted in winning seasons.  BUT I am sure some fans would not see the conference titles, 10+ wins seasons and want to pass.

The reason why AM and now the backup has done well this season is because they don’t build their offense around the QB. The QB is part of a balanced, physical offense. It doesn’t wow a lot of people, but it’s effective. I think the first step for NU is to get back to a winning culture, and he can establish that culture. 

Just now, ColoradoHusk said:

The reason why AM and now the backup has done well this season is because they don’t build their offense around the QB. The QB is part of a balanced, physical offense. It doesn’t wow a lot of people, but it’s effective. I think the first step for NU is to get back to a winning culture, and he can establish that culture. 

No disagreement here.  As a fan, NU of old was fun to watch, but it was really just physical, sound and fundamental football on both sides. I'd love a boring sound team that simply wins.

• Plus1 1