*** Official Illinois Game Thread ***

Mavric

Just now, huskerfan74 said:

If offered the job, Bret would come here in a heartbeat and I hope he brings his defensive coordinator because he makes our defensive coordinator look like a peewee league coordinator 

His DC is probably going to be the next head coach at Colorado.  But, I would be confident that Bret would be able to hire another quality DC.

• Plus1 2

If Thompson is a no go for the rest of the season, let's just pack it in. Purdy was bad and Smothers seems to be extremely limited in Whipple's offense (also was bad).

I didn't get to watch the first half and start to the second half, but the energy I saw from the team was different than past Mickey games. Only down 14 and it seemed like we were down by 50.

Edit: From what I saw from the O Line, Tom Brady would look like a fool, too, behind that line.

So, there's that.

Really our program is prestigous, but our fanbase is viewed as ridiculous, spoiled, and just rotten to some extent.  We get a coach here who can win 8 games for a few years, then we will want more and fire him.  Why would anyone want this gig?  This gig is not pleasant.  We don't have golf course open year around, no beaches.  You just have football, and most coaches families don't want that.  This job is for a special person who either reveres this job as elite or is a former Husker.  Yes the program is huge in some ways yet, in other ways were far behind others.  We have to have that special coach right now to turn things.

7 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Yes, the Tradition and History is great for us fans, but really current recruits and the nation overall, doesn't care about that anymore.  We fired Solich and lost all of that.  To this day, Steve Pedersen is the blame for this messing situation.  Then we fired Pelini when he was at least getting us some relevance.  Now we have none.

How freaking hard is it to hire someone who can win the West Division? 

I am still slightly rooting for Mickey, but only if he gets rid of Whipple and some other pieces.  Truthfully, if we can't get Urban Meyer, I don't know who else really can make a huge difference.  I will pose this question once again?  If we end up with Mick, does that really mean that we struck out with others?  I think that is more the story right now.  By the way, Baylor and Aranda is 4-3 this season, with now most of Aranda's recruits, not Rhules.  Let that soak in some.  Aranda might want to leave before that record next season is 3-4 or worse at this point. 

I'm with you here.  Say we keep Mickey as HC.  Can he create a dream team of coaches?

Instead of what HC, what about staff?  Would we stand a better chance of getting Grimes/Chadwell (examples) as OC's?  Grinch as a DC?  Got to do something.  I still think it will be hard to hire a current HC at a successful program to come here.  But swing for the fences.  Offer the best guy that checks the most boxes.  AND THEN make sure he is the best fit for NU.  It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize we are not going to out athlete OSU, Michigan, but get a coach who is hell bent on simply beating the sh!t out of them.  And empty the coffers to hire a staff that shares that mentality. That's a start to winning.  

2 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

PJ “row the damn boat” Fleck will come to Lincoln next week ready to outcoach Mikey and his band of delusional incompetent coaches.

I'm curious how you never seem to put any blame on the players.  I know there are a lot of fans who never criticize the players, no matter what, so are you just one of those fans?

I am not saying the coaching was good today, but they are not the ones out on the field.

For us to get a glimmer of the success we have had in the past is to return to that past.  Recruit the pieces for the option.  RB's will come here for it, lots of action for them.  Big earth movers from NEB and parts elsewhere and a bunch of speedy under sized LBs and DBs.   We beat them before with regularity because they did not have the assignment discipline or strength to change their mind frame as we pounded them.  To do that we need to hire coaches where one of their major positives is they can recruit.  Don't have to have the 5*s but a sprinkling of 4*s among the 3* we normally get put together in the Nebraska way is our road to relevance.    I really think its the only way.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Nebhawk said:

This game is on Whipple, once again.  In our losses this season, he is mostly the reason why.  He is a terrible play caller.  I don't care how bad our line play is, run the ball, use the backs more, anything but this horsesa$$ offense scheme.

Overreaction. He is trying to run a scheme that needs players, which we are short of.  No depth at line, TE or QB.  Illinois was smart by packing the box.  Our qbs have no time to breathe.

• TBH 1
25 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I'm curious how you never seem to put any blame on the players.  I know there are a lot of fans who never criticize the players, no matter what, so are you just one of those fans?

I am not saying the coaching was good today, but they are not the ones out on the field.

so it's bad recruiting and bad portal choices then...

57 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

If offered the job, Bret would come here in a heartbeat and I hope he brings his defensive coordinator because he makes our defensive coordinator look like a peewee league coordinator 

55 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

Over the past decade we had so many chances to get the monkey off our backs and beat a ranked team. Today was another one of those chances and our coaches did not prepare for this game. Not having a good back up QB is laughable since we ran Martinez out of lincoln. 

40 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

PJ “row the damn boat” Fleck will come to Lincoln next week ready to outcoach Mikey and his band of delusional incompetent coaches.

Someone needs to put down the phone and go for a walk.

• Plus1 1
  • TBH 2