What did we learn? Illinois

Red Five

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

After the game, they said Thompson had numbness in his hand/fingers, like it was a stinger.  He couldn't feel his hand or grip the football.  That's why there was no ice or protective wrap.  I had thought he broke/dislocated a finger.

Well it must have been a stinger in one finger, cause I watched him dink around with his ring finger all second half from the 300 level

Again, was there some pain, probably, but for as good as he's been/can be, he can trend towards mentally weak/soft just as fast.  Again a complaint from Horn fans, when he was there

• Haha 4

I learned that

• Illinois is overrated
  • Purdy would probably be the worst QB in FCS
  • Whip has the ability to be clueless at times
  • Purdy can't make a 2 yd pass
  • Palmer will probably leave
  • Purdy makes stupid plays
  • Our D held its own
  • Alante Brown would probably be better than Purdy

Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention... Purdy SUCKS

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 2
  • Fire 1

That we have not really developed any player at any position.  

We were pushed around on both sides.

Our S&C is very poor.

Bielema in year 2 has Illinois clicking on all cylinders.  With players who average recruit ranking is 59.

Anthony Grant, for the first time, disappointed.  Didn't plant the foot and get upfield.

Ruud might go down as the worst assistant coach with Dawson.

We might be Nebraska, but will be interesting if any current HC's will come here.

Unsure how many of our starters would start at another B1G school.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Our S&C is very poor.

Bielema in year 2 has Illinois clicking on all cylinders.  With players who average recruit ranking is 59.

Anthony Grant, for the first time, disappointed.  Didn't plant the foot and get upfield.

We might be Nebraska, but will be interesting if any current HC's will come here.

I am ready for some assistant coaches who weren't former NU players.  Fans are too reluctant to criticize former players, especially if they were studs at NU.  Ruud also was supposed to be the lead recruiter in Omaha the past few years and NU has had a poor record of keeping those kids in-state.

• Plus1 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
14 minutes ago, lo country said:

Our S&C is very poor.

I agree.  Also, this team could punch its way out of paper bag.  They don’t play smart (lack coaching) and can’t play the opponent consistently (failure of scouting and coaching).  I was hoping that Mickey would be the next HC but now NO.  

On 10/15/2022 at 11:24 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

I don’t get why the D giving up 101 plays is the fault of the offense. Especially with the worst o-line in my lifetime. 

24 minutes ago, THROW_DEM_BONES said:

I learned that

• Illinois is overrated
  • Purdy would probably be the worst QB in FCS
  • Whip has the ability to be clueless at times
  • Purdy can't make a 2 yd pass
  • Palmer will probably leave
  • Purdy makes stupid plays
  • Our D held its own
  • Alante Brown would probably be better than Purdy

Oh yeah, I think I forgot to mention... Purdy SUCKS

Looked like dude was pushing the ball instead of throwing it

• Plus1 5

For the first time since the Frost/Chinander firings, was disappointed with the coaching, specifically Whipple.

It was clear Purdy was no where near prepared for the combination of our O-line and the Illinois D. While he looked bad passing, he even made Thomson look like Lamar Jackson with how slow he moves. 

Yet, Smothers could barely get a sniff. And with the "only" a 2 score deficit, Whipple seemingly called played to simply get the offense off the field. Would've liked to have seen Mickey take more command here.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

1.  The defense actually played decent given the offense turned the ball over 4 times

2.  Mark Whipple is not a great at situational play calling

3.  Joseph needs to find the right #2 QB.  Purdy was not the answer today and Smothers was not given much of a chance.

4. The team is still making the same mistakes now that they were when Frost was head coach.  

• Plus1 6
  • Fire 1

I'm not sure how much we learned...

We don't have an effective option or plan to go along with the next guy up once the starting quarterback goes out.  Absolutely horrible "execution". 

The special teams does virtually nothing to help the offense have better starting field position. It seems the objective is to play it safe and to not advance the ball up field. 

We aren't very good at establishing a reliable running game. And we aren't very good at incorporating one into our game plan. 

The balance of the season is going to be brutal. We might win one more game. 

• Plus1 1