What did we learn? Illinois

Red Five

1 minute ago, Lorewarn said:

Whipple deserves the most blame for the loss of anyone although there's plenty to go around to different parties. He refuses to make the game easier for his players, or to even entertain the idea of establishing the run (which we were having success with in the half dozen times he reluctantly agreed you can't throw it deep on EVERY play).

The way to win against a team like Illinois when you're outmanned is score early, get one stop and one more score and force them to be behind schedule. We had that opportunity, but Whip scheming 'too smart' and Casey not playing smart enough made it impossible.

I agree 

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, irafreak said:

I watched up until Thompson got hurt then was in and out as Purdy has been horrible every time I've seen him play. So I may have missed it but did we do anything to try to get the ball into Palmer's hands in space? Jail break screen, quick out, end around?

It really.  One of my biggest frustrations was the number of plays where Palmer wasn’t even on the field….even before Thompson got hurt. 

Made no sense. 

11 minutes ago, Display name said:

Yea but you got to walk before you can run

Like I said, we can’t run. :lol:  CT is a pretty good passer and kept us in the Purdue game. I didn’t realize Purdy was such a drop off. I’d go with Smothers and his running game after watching Purdy’s immobility and lack of arm strength. Is it just me or does Grant look worn down? He got picked up and fumbled in an ugly play and not running downhill like we saw earlier in the season. Just get the first down.

• Plus1 1

Learned this team and piecemeal staff is trying hard no matter what.  It is what it is. <_<

Learned a lot of Husker fans die hard too easily; Throw shade too easily; And they only care about winning (see volleyball followers), cheering the opponents if we dominate them (see Husker Fan Football history), and still want to be known as being classy (Husker fan football history).

Learned that xHCMike Riley did not leave this team in a worse position than xHCSF did.  Can we put that to bed yet?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Like I said, we can’t run. :lol:  CT is a pretty good passer and kept us in the Purdue game. I didn’t realize Purdy was such a drop off. I’d go with Smothers and his running game after watching Purdy’s immobility and lack of arm strength. Is it just me or does Grant look worn down? He got picked up and fumbled in an ugly play and not running downhill like we saw earlier in the season. Just get the first down.

5 minutes ago, chamrocck said:

Grant to me just looks frustrated with the play calling If they start smothers does it  shrink the play book to much I mean how many RPO style plays do they have in the play book 

13 hours ago, Hagg said:

Frost was also showing signs of being a bit clueless with regard to clock management.  Mickey et al seem to not have that issue, along with many other issues Frost suffers from.

But... the interim coach is not showing signs of improvement.  Neither are the players very much.  I'm of the opinion that those two things are for the same reason:  They are doing their best with what they have, Mickey has players who have their capabilities and are straining to do their very best the same as Mickey is straining to do his very best.  We are likely getting the best they can do, and we're seeing the result.  It's so simple, and it's being repeated in here and everywhere ad infinitum:  we need a great coach who can recruit great players. 

You’re not gonna take scrubs and make worldbeaters out of them even if Saban was coaching them. 

Best you can do is teach them to not beat themselves and to play as a team, and let things fall where they may. That’s what Mickey has done to this point.

Do I think Mickey is a great Xs and Os guy? No. But he can recruit and he can run a program as the face of it…and let’s be honest, the last time we had a face on this program that sold it to parents and recruits successfully, most of these kids were mere bad decisions made in a bar somewhere.

6 hours ago, irafreak said:

I watched up until Thompson got hurt then was in and out as Purdy has been horrible every time I've seen him play. So I may have missed it but did we do anything to try to get the ball into Palmer's hands in space? Jail break screen, quick out, end around?

With Purdy, we tried the 2-foot shovel shotput-pass, while staring down the target for 3 seconds. 

Several times.  It was so ugly unless you like Pop Warner football.