What did we learn? Illinois

Red Five

I'd give Logan Smothers all the first team reps this week and let him start if Thompson is out.  He may stink it up, but I feel he gives Nebraska a better chance to win than Purdy, particularly if Whipple is willing to modify the game plan.  Logan looked ok against Iowa last year until he did the Martinez 2nd half collapse after the blocked TD punt.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, Packerhuskerfan said:

I'd give Logan Smothers all the first team reps this week and let him start if Thompson is out.  He may stink it up, but I feel he gives Nebraska a better chance to win than Purdy, particularly if Whipple is willing to modify the game plan.  Logan looked ok against Iowa last year until he did the Martinez 2nd half collapse after the blocked TD punt.

Agreed, I say we give Smothers a shot.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO LOSE?!!!

I learned this week that Illinois, Tulane, Wake Forest, North Carolina State, Syracuse, Liberty, and Oregon State are all in the Top 25.

Nebraska has no unique disadvantage over these schools, plenty of advantages, and is not years away from relevance. 

It could happen virtually overnight.

Team Moving Forward with Both Realistic Expectations & Hope 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1
21 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Whipple deserves the most blame for the loss of anyone although there's plenty to go around to different parties. He refuses to make the game easier for his players, or to even entertain the idea of establishing the run (which we were having success with in the half dozen times he reluctantly agreed you can't throw it deep on EVERY play).

The way to win against a team like Illinois when you're outmanned is score early, get one stop and one more score and force them to be behind schedule. We had that opportunity, but Whip scheming 'too smart' and Casey not playing smart enough made it impossible.

Not sure if I agree with this.  Simply put, our talent level sucks and this team is chalk full of mediocre players with a losing mentality.  Not whipples fault Rhamir didn't catch the ball wide open for what woulda been a 50 yard play at a minimum, not whipples fault CT was blind as hell that first drive missing 2 wide open chances at big plays/touchdowns.  We coudnt defend basic crossing routes because our defense is slow as hell.  To expect the coaches in place to turn s#!t into gold in a month or 2 after frostys ineptitude is simply unrealistic.

Pretty damn telling that frosty has minimal success stories as far as individual players r concerned.  Wandale? Transferred.  2AM? Losing record.  Is Jurgens the best story frosty can hang his hat on, a center who was more known for piss poor snapping than his level of play?  Trey palmer is here only because of Mickey, prolly a good chance Casey T also only here because of mickey.  Last year, our defense was a big reason we hung around in all of those games- the ironic part is a good amount of those guys who were impactful were Riley recruits.  

Could the gameplan been a bit better? Sure, hindsight 20/20.  at the end of the day it doesnt matter- this s#!t is a dumpster fire that will take at least a couple years to get back to a level of respectability.  

• Plus1 2